passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

I haven't seen much of Phase 4, but I really liked Eternals. Mostly because they finally allowed a director to have a significant impact on a movie's style, tone and presentation. And while I can see that it might not be a good movie if you over-analyse certain aspects, particularly on the storytelling side of things, it's such a beautifully shot film when it comes to capturing the scale of some of its set pieces, that I enjoyed watching it a lot more than the last roughly ten years of run-of-the-mill MCU stuff. Which always technically looked good, but never had this strong of a grasp of a chosen aesthetic.

The other Phase 4 stuff I've seen are Wandavision, which starts off strong and then nosedives towards the abyss in the second half, and Falcon etc., which was a very lavishly produced sleeping aid.

But I've fallen out of the whole thing anyway, the over exposure gave me a serious case of Marvel fatigue. She-Hulk is the last on my radar (and it still baffles my mind as to how it even got made) for the time being. The trailer looks really good, though I only watched the first half. 4th Wall breaking seems well executed, too. I just hope Banner isn't as prevalent in the show than in the trailers, we don't need a second Homecoming where the teacher overshadows the pupil.

I really liked Eternals too and agree that is really beautifully shot. I think Dr Strange 2 and Thor 4 are also more greatly influenced by their directors than previous Marvel phases would be allowed to.

I'm still excited for most of the TV stuff next year but Ironheart and Echo doesn't do much for me as of yet as I know so little of the characters still really (despite seeing one of the characters in one of the tv shows last year).

As for the Thunderbolts, we already know who two of them are 

Spoiler

Yelena and US Agent

Probably Taskmaster as well. Again, I know little about the comic side but a suicide squad-esque Marvel team up is really exciting to me.

This was the original premise of the Thunderbolts:

The death of the Avengers (and Fantastic Four) created an opportunity for Baron Zemo. Zemo realized that the world needed superpowered champions, and that his team could fill that need. By posing as superheroes, the Masters of Evil could gain the public trust and build a position of power that rivalled the status of the Avengers. Once they had gained the public's faith, Zemo believed they could gain access to all the secrets of the Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. once they were in ultimate power. Zemo then planned to sell the secrets they found to the criminal underworld.

This premise, more than the latter discount Suicide Squad version, could work with little effort within the MCU.

Ah, now I have read some early runs of Thunderbolts so I'm going to declare myself the expert.  I'd say what differentiates them from the Suicide Squad is that they really tried to pass as agents of good.  They did heroic stuff at first, and I think one of the interesting things that happened is some of them started to really like it, since they were used to getting webbed by Spider-Man while robbing a bank.  That caused some of them to want to deviate from the plan and just continue being discount Avengers.

Maybe they'll pull from a different run but that early one I read has stuff in it which could have potential.  Not that they've been the best at capturing the potential of their stories lately but you can only hope.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

She-Hulk Ep. 1....

Banging! A really impressive opening episode, took me about 10 or so minutes to warm up to Jen and her humour but once I got it I really got it if that makes sense. I know very little about the character so I've no idea if her origin lines up with the comics or not but it was very comic-booky the way she becomes She-Hulk.

Whole chemistry between Jen and Bruce was really cool. 

Also:

Proper spoiler

Spoiler

CAPTAIN AMERICA F********.......

I thought it was fine. A very backstory/set up heavy episode. Really throws a spotlight on how poorly Hulk has been characterised in the MCU. But She-Hulk herself, is spot on. The "fight" at the end though, looked rough... 7/10

Just watched She Hulk. Really enjoyed it for the most part. Definitely one of the more promising of these series’. So great getting some classic Hulk action too. I’ve missed him so much (he’s up in top 3 characters for me) since they basically did away with him as a fighter since IW. Still prefer Classic Hulk to Smart Hulk but I’ll take whatever I can & understand it for story reasons. 

On 19/08/2022 at 12:13, DisturbedSwan said:

Proper spoiler….

Eh? Did I miss something? Was there a credit scene or what? 

The fact people actually need to be told that Captain America, who went back in time and married someone then spent God knows how many years with that someone didn't lose his virginity is fucking mind boggling... nearly as mind boggling as people even wondering.😂

13 hours ago, mfnick said:

Just watched She Hulk. Really enjoyed it for the most part. Definitely one of the more promising of these series’. So great getting some classic Hulk action too. I’ve missed him so much (he’s up in top 3 characters for me) since they basically did away with him as a fighter since IW. Still prefer Classic Hulk to Smart Hulk but I’ll take whatever I can & understand it for story reasons. 

Eh? Did I miss something? Was there a credit scene or what? 

Yeah, there's a post credit scene. Nothing essential in there but a funny little scene. I'm not quite sure what Nag is on about as it's not what he's described? It is vaguely spoilery what he's typed up though, but yeah, it's worth the 30 seconds to watch it for yourself in my view.

She-Hulk Episode 2

Middling. This episode didn't really do it for me. The only part of the humour that got a wry chuckle was the "different person" nod to the audience. I don't know if I'd prefer the episodes to be longer, but this one didn't seem to have much substance. 6/10

She-Hulk 

Ep. 2 not quite as good as the first, seemed a bit rush and had a few pacing issues but nevertheless I still enjoyed it, the post credit scene is not a must-watch this time around at all though.

Ep. 3 was banging, absolutely loved it. Felt like the series is finding its stride, fucking hilarious post credit scene too and loved some of the scenes taking the piss out

Spoiler

of toxic MCU fanboys.

She-Hulk Episode 3

It's weird that these episodes are getting shorter? This one was only a little over 20 minutes.

Seems to be a running theme, but I thought this episode was worse than the second. Between the OTT gushing over some celebrity I've never heard of. To yet another abysmal MCU villain debut. This one wasn't so much bad, as dull. They seem to be holding back on both going too legal and too zany, via fourth wall breaks. Their adherence to the middle ground is really stopping this show from being as fun as it could be. 5/10

Watched all 3 episodes of She-Hulk and quite liked it. Even though a lot of the Marvel stuff is quite cartoony, She-Hulk just absolutely dives in to that but in a even more light hearted way. Which now hearing all the hater shit online about how it’s sexist and feminist to the point it’s anti-men and all this seems ridiculous. It’s a sitcom for young teenage girls about silly superhero stuff. But it really works for the character and the type of humour they’re going for. 

Ep 3 was definitely the weakest of the bunch and where I was starting to lose interest. Some of that is because I watched 3 episodes in a row but also what they do with Abomination got kind of old really quick. It’s also the only episode where the CGI was distractingly shit. 

Even though I still don’t think it’s a show that can really stand up to Wandavision, which is still the high bar all these MCU TV shows have to be compared too, I will say it’s the only other show they’ve done which feels like it absolutely gets what it should be and nails it too. The humour doesn’t really work for me, i don’t think I laughed out loud in any of the 3 episodes. But it’s an enjoyable, easy going show to just sit back and watch. 

And to wait for Daredevil to show up

Fantastic Four Movie Rumoured to Cast Jodie Comer as Marvel's Sue Storm

304853473_827338928425800_35256562450959

Jodie Comer is rumoured to be playing Sue Storm in Marvel's Fantastic Four reboot film – the latest Marvel Cinematic Universe rumour to drop as we head into D23 2022. According industry scoopers, Comer (best known for Killing Eve and Free Guy) has been tapped to play Sue Storm in the MCU, and we'll most likely get confirmation of her casting (and some key other ones) during a Marvel's D23 presentation. 

Fantastic Four has been at the forefront of the rumour mill for weeks now, after it was reported that WandaVision director Matt Shankman was in talks for the film. At the same time, casting for The Fantastic Four reboot has been a hotly debated topic, after Marvel Studios already gave fans one big fan-cast for the F4... 

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness saw John Krasinski appear in the MCU as Reed Richards – the exact casting fans wanted for years. However, as we later learned, Krasinski's Reed Richards was MCU fan-service, not official canon casting:

"It's so funny that Kevin [Feige] cast John [Krasinski] because the fans had a dream of who the perfect Reed Richards would be," director Sam Raimi shared. "And because this is an alternate universe, I think Kevin said, 'Let's make that dream come true.' I've always really enjoyed all of his performances.'" 

Well, John Krasinski wasn't fan-cast in Fantastic Four all by himself: fans have always wanted his wife, actress Emily Blunt, to share the screen with him in F4 – as they did in Krasinski's hit horror film, A Quiet Place. Marvel fans have honestly been carrying a casting torch for Emily Blunt as both Black Widow and Invisible Woman for years, and this is about as close to it as they've ever felt. 

hat's all to say: Jodie Comer has more than proven that she will make Sue Storm one of the most formidable and leading characters of the next era of the MCU. She's stolen the screen away from some of the biggest screen talents out there right now (Ryan Reynolds, Adam Driver, Matt Damon) – not to mention propelling Killing Eve to three Emmy noms and one win over the course of four seasons. The real question is: If Jodie Comer is indeed the MCU Invisible Woman, who can hope to stand opposite her as Reed Richards? 

Right now, rumours are swirling that another breakout star for playing a TV serial killer (YOU's Penn Badgley) could be revealed at D23 as Mister Fantastic.

Thor: Love & Thunder

(On Disney+ right now)

The last Thor film, Hela was the only good part. Tonally it was a mess. This one, strictly limits the dramatic weight to scenes involving Gorr (Christian Bale). You just have to accept the rest is "comedy".

Pros:

Screaming Goats - Oddly amused me in every scene. Reminded me of a running gag from Earthworm Jim or Futurama.

Gorr - Very good. I wish he looked a little less like bald Christian Bale. But we know by this point the MCU has a problem with face obscuring costumes/designs.

Spoiler

Eternity - Visually spot on. Although he said nothing or even indicated he possessed consciousness?

Hercules - Another comic accurate design. So far limited to an after-credits scene.

Cons:

Thor

Jane 

Korg

Whateverthefuck accent Russell Crowe is supposed to have.

The Comedy

The Love Story

Very much the 'Batman & Robin' to Waititi's 'Batman Forever'. Both films carried by the sheer acting ability of the antagonists. 5/10 

Just watched Thor Love & Thunder too.

Unlike OCH I fucking loved Ragnarok, it’s up there as one of the best IMO. This however is definitely one of the weaker ones. It just felt a bit all over the place and as though it was trying too hard. Especially with the humour. Way too heavy handed and corny. 

It had its moments through, in particular I adored the

Spoiler

Shadow Realm. That whole scene was fantastic and visually just blew me away. I’m a big fan of Sun City too and it’s visual style,

something about it just does it for me. Natalie Portman looked amazing as Mighty Thor. Costume designs throughout were top notch.

It wasn’t actually bad either, not like Black Panther or Dark World. I was definitely entertained enough throughout. Quite disappointing after Ragnarok though. 

Also, just got to say the special effects at times looked really bad in a way I don’t remember thinking in previous Marvel films.

Almost reached DC film level bad at times. Especially the scenery, it looked impressive but the actors stood out in a way where you could really tell they weren’t there. Reminds me of very early green screen for some reason. Very off putting.