passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

Well the Ms. Marvel finale certainly delivered wow!

We have our very first official 

Spoiler

mutant in the MCU! They used the term 'mutation' for the first time then a brief snippet of the 90s animation theme tune played as the camera turned to Kamala, absolutely amazing moment.

The rest of the episode was really cool, it always seemed like a neighbourhood level threat and never a city-wide, state-wide or national threat, perfectly suited to this series and a finale on the same terms as something like Luke Cage et al. 

The post-credits scene 

Spoiler

where Captain Marvel finally makes an appearance after all this time, was pretty fucking cool too.

Watched Ms Marvel Ep1. Excellent. Loved basically everything about it but a special moment was how they got her to almost wear the sash around her waist. What a smart way to get there, loved the way they did it.

I also loved Kamala. Great character, actress fits really well. The moment with Bruno and Kamala on the roof. It’s cheesy but I love moments like that.   Really loved the energy to this show. It’s very pop and unlike anything else in Marvel.

Extra bonus was since she’s a fan girl it’s a great excuse to have a bunch of real comic art on her bedroom walls. Very nice. 

I would say the only thing I didn’t really like was how she got her powers. I don’t even necessarily mind that they’re different but how she gets them. Damn talk about coincidence. 

Maybe they explain it going forward, I dunno.

Abbu maybe the best new character in the MCU. 

Watched Ep2 of Ms Marvel and it’s great. It dragged a tiny bit in the middle but I enjoyed most of it and then the end was awesome. The first time a superhero does something super heroic but it’s on a small scale is always a winner.

I’m really liking this show and so far I would say it’s the second best thing Marvel has done in phase 4 behind Shang Chi

I liked it so much I was watching interviews with the lead actress and she’s incredibly down to Earth and mature for a teenager. Her story is mad as well. This is her first acting role. I’d recommend giving this a watch

I'll give it credit for being different but I think it's really boring and a bit shit.

Every single person is quirky and nice except the bad guys, it's the one dimensional Marvel personality ramped up to 100. The peril they set up is obviously never going to happen in a series at least. Bar the colour it's all a bit boring. Even the British colonialism, which is interesting and rarely handled just feels like set dressing

Still, I've got the last episode left to watch so maybe I'll come around on it

I haven’t got to the bad guys yet though I read a little bit of what they’re about. According to a quote from the show runner a lot of the bad guy story stuff had to be cut out so that’ll probably explain it if they’re really 2D. 

It’s just fun, teenage, high school superhero stuff. Not a million miles away from Spider-Man really but more bouncy and modern. Speaking of, the use of music in the show is really good. 

It’s not award worthy TV but it is light hearted fun which is the type of stuff I enjoy 

I only watched the first episode. Didn't really grab me enough to bother with episode 2 and beyond. A bit too pedestrian after Moon Knight. I don't really have any attachment to the character in the first place, which likely didn't help.

I still haven’t found the interest to finish the last episode of Moon Knight. I liked it at first because it deals in lots of interesting concepts with gods and stuff, but it never went anywhere I cared about and I couldn’t find attachment to the characters. 

Ms Marvel is sort of the opposite where it’s super hero story is quite ordinary, in fact how she gets her powers I don’t really like at all.  But I do like all the characters, relationships and the vibe of the show which is fun and energetic. 

I’ve just made a start on Ms Marvel. Only watched 2 episodes so far but it’s really rubbing me the wrong way. It’s just feels way too childish and try hard. Think it’s just not for me, I generally hate these American high school teen things anyway. But I’ll give it a few more episodes. Easily the worst one yet for me though. 

44 minutes ago, OCH said:

I think the Punisher is as ordinary as I like Comic Book characters to be. High concept stuff is the main draw for my interest.

I meant ordinary as in 

Spoiler

She finds a thing in the basement that unlocks her powers

I don’t really like that. It’s too boring for me. That’s what I mean by ordinary. I like my marvel characters to be one-in-a-million genetic/irradiated science freaks. 

On the ms Marvel stuff, I said in the other thread I think they probably should have learned in to it being more of a kids show. In hindsight it'd be a good contrast with Strange.

It's not shit, it's just very padded and very much not for me

Finished Ms Marvel, basically agree with Dangerman. Just not for me at all & probably should have been totally focused on a younger audience rather than trying to be in that awkward middle ground with a younger lean then I could have just ignored it completely. 

To be honest, thinking back these shows have been a bit meh in general. I enjoyed Loki and WandaVision but the rest have been very mid. Daredevil is still the best one by a huge margin. I’d probably put the 1st Punisher season just below it too. 

I do tend to agree with the overall MCU TV sentiment, most have been middling really, which is a shame. 

I'd add Falcon & The Winter Solder to the 'good' category though, but Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight whilst having their moments have been middling. Only Loki, F&TWC and WandaVision I consider good/great TV.

Even She-Hulk coming up I'd usually be excited for but I'm just kinda not, I'm gonna watch it but more out of necessity and curiosity rather than anything else.

7 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Rumour is that Wolverine will be Taron Egerton, Professor X - Giancarlo Esposito, Magneto - Denzel Washington, Cyclops - Glen Powell.

🤨 

Two of those choices seem fine. Two definitely not. Hope that is mostly rumour.

RE: the shows. I've only really liked Loki and Moon Knight. Wandavision took three to four episodes to become enjoyable. Bits of F&WS were fine. Hawkeye, I didn't bother with. Ms. Marvel was too pedestrian for my taste.

I’d be very shocked if those casting rumours are real, but Magneto is a fantastic example of why you should never bake your fictional character’s story in to real world events, because he can’t be a Jewish kid growing up in Nazi WW2 and not be a 90+ year old man in 2022. So if they did change his backstory/race/nationality to make it more contemporary and understandable I’d be ok with that.