passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

I’m calling it, this is the first of the fumbles to bring down the MCU. Not singlehandedly but the first step to falling down. 

The report says that Marvel wanted 50/50 of the profits on the movie, which even if they make a billion dollars per kind of seems super greedy and bullshit. Sony has the license that you sold them you can’t then just say “A ticket to this party is half of the thing we sold you”. Awful business. 

But also isn’t it a bit of a coincidence that the deal falls apart after a Spider-Man movie finally crosses a billion dollars? Obviously Sony was always in this for the leg up that they needed and now they got it + Venom I wouldn’t be surprised if some of this is them getting to big for their boots. 

I’m hoping they can repair the relationship because I really want see a “Spider-Man &” movie. X-Men, Doctor Strange, Daredevil, Hulk. But to me at least Marvel loses a lot more than Sony. The Marvel Universe is a lot more empty without Spider-Man and Spider-Man is far less smothered without them. 

This deal was always super risky and will be really awkward if Spider-Man is just never referenced again in the MCU, but after a few years of it working I just stopped thinking it wouldn’t work. Who knew that money would come between people in Hollywood, huh. 

On the one hand, Oh well they've got the X-Men [and FF] now. So Wolverine can no doubt be shoehorned into becoming the new MCU poster boy. Yet on the other hand,  based on previous experience of these situations... I wonder what the Disney Playstation will look like?

Awful news about the Sony/Marvel split. 

Considering Marvel were only getting 5% of the overall box office I don't blame them at all for wanting more of a share, 50/50 sounds fair to me for all the work they put in but 60/40 or 30/70 would've been agreeable. People are quick to forget it was Marvel Studios' creative process that made the last two films as successful as they are and without them Sony Pictures would be adrift at sea not knowing what to do or where to take the franchise.

I don't worry about the future of the MCU at all because when Marvel outlined all their Phase 4 titles at Comic-Con there was no Spidey and collectively people were super hyped and excited to see what Phase 4 brings, plus X-Men/Fantastic Four etc.. It is disappointing that Spidey will no longer eventually take the Iron-Man mantle in the MCU that they seemed to be building up to slowly with FFH and that the first post-credits scene might not even happen now but that's the way it is. I think people easily forget the MCU has been about since 2007 and Spidey was introduced in 2016, it was successful before Spidey and it'll be successful afterwards, only an idiot would say otherwise.

It's also disappointing to know we'll probably go back to shitty Spidey films again now there's no Marvel, with the FFH/Homecoming director not signed on to a sequel yet. FFH and Homecoming were the two best Spidey films in my view and without the input of Feige we'll likely get 'Amazing Spider-Man' levels of movies out of Sony in the future.

So that's where I am, can't really say I'm that arsed about seeing Spidey movies in the future with Sony solely at the helm. Once their Spiderverse collapses perhaps they'll come crawling back to Marvel? Who knows. The two could still work out a deal in time, that is still the best conclusion.

You guys are crazy. Disney didn’t just get 5% they got all the merchandise money, too. Which honestly surprises me. I thought Sony would want that more than the box office because I thought Spider-Man merchandise money would be massive. 

And Sony did Spiderverse without Marvel which is easily the best Spider-Man movie.

I want to see Spider-Man still in the MCU but honestly I think Sony are in the right to take their ball and go home. It is their ball after all, they bought it

Proper gutted by this news. I loved the new Spidey films and his appearances in Avengers IW, EG and Civil War were great. 

Now we’re going to get shite Spidey films again like Amazing and the Raimi trilogy (although 1 & 2 were actually “ok”). 

Damn shame. 

2 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Now we’re going to get shite Spidey films again like Amazing and the Raimi trilogy (although 1 & 2 were actually “ok”). 

Damn shame. 

I'm not even a Spider-Man fan but, as Maf said, Sony did Into The Spiderverse themselves. If they keep the same writers etc from that involved in their future Spider-Man films, they won't be shite at all.

For the record, because people seem to be skipping over this part, Disney didn’t just want all the Merchandise and 50% of the profit of Spider-Man films, they wanted 50% of the “Spider-Man Universe” and wider control over Sony’s films

All this was reflected as factors in Deadline’s break of an important and widely regurgitated story. But sources maintain that Feige’s exit was about money; it was about Disney seeking the 50/50 co-fi stake as the price for Marvel and Feige’s continued guiding hand that resulted in the delivery of Sony’s biggest grossing film ever. Sony declined to meet those terms. It was an aggressive stance by Disney, which already owns the merchandise on Spider-Man, and a tough nut for Sony to swallow, giving up half of its most valuable franchise. But these talks had been going on for some time. Had Sony agreed to Disney’s ask, Marvel and Feige would not have withdrawn from the Spider-Man films, sources said.

Sources said Disney’s top brass for the past several months has sought new terms for Feige and the Marvel cross-pollination to continue. As the Spider-Man relationship grew, Feige and Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman spoke about the possibility of a wider involvement in the Sony-controlled Spider-man universe, which contains 900 characters.

It is understandable that the fiscally shrewd Rothman would balk at giving up half of Sony’s biggest franchise to Marvel. After all, Marvel already owns the merchandising on Spider-Man. Does the Mouse really need half of the movie universe also? Sony so far has decided that as valuable as Feige is, Disney is asking too high a price.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-feige-spider-man-franchise-exit-disney-sony-dispute-avengers-endgame-captain-america-winter-soldier-tom-rothman-bob-iger-1202672545/

Meaning the license that Marvel sold Sony at the turn of the century, which Sony upheld what they had to do to keep it, and then even let Marvel have a lot of it back so they could get Spider-Man to be high profile again, and Disney said no. We want 50% of a Spider-Man, Venom, Spiderverse and anything else Spider-Man related

you wouldn't have the current Marvel ubiquity if it wasn't for those Raimi Spiderman films (except the 3rd). Spiderman was huge for them (Sony), it did stupidly well, just not as well as it's doing now. The first 2 films were good, the 2nd especially, the first Garfield one is decent enough

The ‘Amazing’ ones are utter wank. 

Like I said of the Raimi Versions, 1 and 2 were ok enough.

Spider Verse doesn’t count, it wasn’t live action. I also don’t understand the huge hype around it. I thought it was good but not that good. As for being the best, I don’t think it is at all. Much preferred Homecoming.

Saying all this I don’t blame Sony for saying no. Marvel are being ridiculous with their demands for the licence rights and Sony are right for saying no IMO. Doesn’t mean it’s not a huge disappointment for me still. 

I don’t know if Homecoming is better than Spider-Man 2. The character work and story is much better in Homecoming but that train fight sequence and Spider-Man vs Doc Ock saving Aunt May is fucking awesome

EDIT: Also Spider-Man 2 disappointed me because when he loses his powers you think he is then going to grow 4 extra arms and doesn’t and it’s like man

DOUBLE EDIT: ASM-100.jpg&q=95&w=488&h=490&zc=1&a=t

Nowhere on that quote you linked does it say they wanted 50% of all Spidey universe films, no idea where you’ve got that from @Maf. All it said is that Feige spoke to Sony execs about furthering links between the MCU and Spiderverse is all. 

Also Into the Spiderverse was good but struggled to reach the heights of Homecoming and FFH for me personally. I’m not really familiar with the MM character though and an more of a PP guy so that could be why. Sony did do a good job with that though it’s fair to say, but it’s also fair to say their live action Spidey films have been shit for donkeys years from SM3 to TASM2 and they’ve yet to prove themselves in that regard. Even SM1 and SM2 have aged pretty horribly these days. 

As as mentioned previously perhaps 50/50 was a little greedy but Marvel made the last two Spidey films what they are, they had fucking Iron-Man in the first one for pete’s sake. I’d say they deserve more than a measly 5% share of the box office revenue myself, 30/70, 40/60 would’ve been agreeable.

Sony needs Marvel far more than Marvel needs Spidey so I’m sure they’ll come crawling back cap in hand at some point.

2 minutes ago, Blakey said:

they had fucking Iron-Man in the first one for pete’s sake. I’d say they deserve more than a measly 5% share of the box office revenue myself, 30/70, 40/60 would’ve been agreeable.

Sony needs Marvel far more than Marvel needs Spidey so I’m sure they’ll come crawling back cap in hand at some point.

? That made me spit out my drink, before I remembered the era we live in. A "measly 5%" of the box office revenue for a single character, Blakey. It is still peanuts compared to the money they make from the rest of the MCU. Plus the money they exclusively make from the merchandising. Plus this was a previously arranged deal, not some figures just thrown out this week. It boils down to Disney being nothing but greedy and Sony holding their ground. 

While I can't believe I'm still even entering into a Spider-Man conversation, let alone championing the merits of a spidey film, but some facts about Into The Spiderverse (via Wiki):

1)It grossed over $375 million worldwide against a $90 million budget. 

2)It won numerous awards, including Best Animated Feature at the 91st Academy Awards, It was the first non-Disney or Pixar film to win the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature since Rango (2011), as well as the first non-Disney/Pixar film since Happy Feet (2006) to win that award when a Disney or Pixar film was also in contention.

So if it comes to it, Sony will be fine making Spider-Man films on their own. He might even go back to being recognised as an A-list Superhero in his own right, not a groupie for a C-Lister...

Also in the 1st paragraph it says “co-fi” stake, meaning co-finance. That means Disney wants to put up 50% of the cost to produce all Spider-related films. But that means they’ll also have 50% of the control as well as profit over all those projects, too. Meaning Sony won’t really own Spider-Man anymore, it will be 50/50 all the way down the line and a Marvel still keeps the merchandise. Apparently Sony came back at Disney and said we can do 70/30, but Disney said no

34 minutes ago, Nag said:

Maybe once upon a time... He really isn't anymore, certainly not in the film universe... no matter how you feel.

It doesn't really matter. 10 years of films, 56 years of comic books. That is apples and oranges at this point. It is the Groupie part that is the issue.

They said they were skipping over repeating the Spider-Man origin, the Uncle Ben thing. Except they didn't, they just substituted him for Tony Stark. So not really anything different, other than making Spider-Man a lesser hero in his own right. One that didn't build himself up from nothing, but was a kind of makeshift Robin...

Reading mafs post it's hard to buy into the Sony villainy narrative as they're just protecting the property they own.

Marvel tried to change the terms of the deal,Sony said no, now I dont feel so good Mr Stark...