passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

True. It was essentially his Winter Soldier Costume with a shiny blue armour piece over the top. He had a gun though, which is appropriate for a WW II trained soldier.

I didn’t like GotG2. I found most of the jokes to be forced and too heavily reliant on nostalgia for the first movie, I hated (HATED) baby Groot, and they made Drax a complete moron. 

BUT

GotG2 probably has the most heart from any of the MCU movies IMO. They way they handle the concept of family was perfect in my opinion, and it hit me in a very personal and emotional place.

My family is a big complicated mess (I’m not getting into it here) and although this is a big dumb space opera I found elements to be painfully relatable.

So yeah, I don’t like the movie as a whole, but it definitely has the most heart for me personally.

Drax with all the nipple "jokes"... I kept thinking who is this humour aimed at? Baby Groot was one of the most wretched things I've seen in a long time. The MCU shouldn't need to rely on mascot tropes...

Watched The Avengers: Infinity War. I think it’s the second modern Marvel film I’ve seen after Spider Man: Homecoming (which I thought was shit). For a film with a million characters it was pretty easy to follow. The film gave off really strong vibes of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. I wouldn’t say I like it as much as those but it was easy to follow and entertaining. 

Also, the style of the villain and his cast reminded me of one of my favourite movies of my childhood, Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers (Ooze and co).

It seemed like the action was serious but the dialogue was mostly comedy. I laughed a few times but then it’s hard not to laugh when the film is this stuffed with jokes. At the beginning I thought “wow the tone of this film is all over the place” but then I just kind of got used to it.

I’ll definitely go see Endgame to see how the whole thing wraps up, but I wouldn’t really be tempted to go back and watch the older films. Although Guardians of the Galaxy looks like it could be fun (Chris Pratt is great in everything) and maybe my favourite character was Doctor Strange, he seems cool. So I might go back and watch his film.

Overall, it was a solid film. There was probably too much going on for it to get a really high rating (although the film juggled its various parts and characters pretty well), and it gets a bonus point for Thanos’ amazing jaw. So 7 or 8 out of 10.

Question about the scene after the credits:

Spoiler

(A suspiciously young looking) Samuel L Jackson calls someone just before he disappears (the disappearances didn’t really seem like deaths to me), and at the very end a symbol appears. What’s this symbol?

I’m surprised by the GotG 2 hate. I agree with the some of the criticisms but overall I thought it was a really good film.

Endgame and GoTG 2 spoiler:

Spoiler

Apart from Iron Man dieing the part where they send of Yondu is one of the most emotional parts in these films for me.  

In fact apart from Thor 2 and Black Panther I’ve really enjoyed all the Marvel films. Even those were worth watching once IMO, think they are the only ones I haven’t watched again to be honest. Maybe I should though as with Age of Ultron, I didn’t think that was very good at first but liked it more after repeated viewings, still not a really good one though.

Black Panther though... I completely don’t get the hype for that one at all, I think it’s the worse one. The people who like that tend to slag off he ones I like though so just different kinds I guess. 

On a slightly related note, picked this up yesterday. And binged them all.

The first is still far better than I could ever have thought it would be. Winter Soldier is still top tier up with the very best. Civil War is far better than I remember it being too. Was a good day :) 

E2B9A9E3-188B-479C-99BB-4C0C6FCBD3D0.jpeg

Picked up Ant-Man & The Wasp and Black Panther on blu ray from Fopp in a 2 for £15 deal bringing my MCU collection to 20.

Watched AM&TW again earlier and really enjoyed it. Not the best movie in the MCU but certainly not the worst. Not as good as the first Ant-Man but no worse really, and a lot more important to Endgame than it gets credit for. 

Endgame is $300 million away from being #1 of all time. I think it’s possible, but I think at this rate if it does beat Avatar it won’t be a trouncing, it will be between 5-10 million higher. If it beats it at all. $300 mil is still a massive number. 

If they keep it on screens for a few more weeks it'll take #1, but they've already reduced screenings. I work in a cinema and we only have it on a couple of screens now because things like Long Shot, The Hustle, The Curse of La Llorona, and Detective Pikachu have all come out. Then next week we have John Wick 3 and I think Aladdin, then the week after it's Rocketman so there are a tonne of new and great movies coming out in the build up to summer. 

Avatar was released in December where there was historically no big releases, it's only been since The Force Awakens came out that Disney have made December a prime release spot, up until then it was pretty much untouched ground so Avatar had no competition and free reign of screens for months. Endgame has done incredibly well to make as much money as it has considering the season it released in. 

Yeah I enjoyed Ant-Man and the Wasp way more than the first film too.

$300 million more for Endgame considering its got another 3-9+ weeks of being in cinemas definitely seems doable. It made $63 million in its 3rd weekend in the US alone - unsure how much it made worldwide - so I think it'll get there, probably not anytime soon though but probably in another month or so. 

I don’t know. Say Endgame stays in cinemas for another 4 weeks globally, which isn’t unrealistic, I don’t think. It still needs to make 75 million per week. I’m not convinced week 3 and 4 (Including the last 3 weekends weeks 6 and 7) it can make that kind of money.