passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

28 minutes ago, Blakey said:

Of course people want more Marvel ? Endgame just made $2.1Bn in 2 weekends ???

I imagine two of those on the release schedule Disney put out yesterday (can be found in the film thread) will be Black Panther 2 and Spider-Man 3. Who the fuck knows what the rest of them will be.

Yeah, but will they want Marvel up to and through 2023? They clearly think so. I’m not so sure.

1 hour ago, Maf said:

Yeah, but will they want Marvel up to and through 2023? They clearly think so. I’m not so sure.

You sound like OCH ? I would bet you £1000 right here and now that people will want Marvel films in 2023, 2024, fuck, even 2033. I just don't get how or why you think the bubble will burst just because they've ended the Infinity Saga? Did people stop buying Marvel Comics after they finished off a Saga? ?

C'mon man, give your head a wobble. These MCU movies have been successful now critically and commercially for 12 years - going further back the likes of X-Men and the OG Spider-Man trilogy were still wildly successful commercially - why would people suddenly up and not care anymore? Especially after arguably the biggest, boldest and best Superhero film of all time in Endgame. It literally makes no sense. If anything people are gagging to see what Marvel do next with the MCU, they're certainly not fed up with it judging by all calculable metrics available. 

It's one of the strongest brands in the world right now, people see the Marvel logo as a seal of quality. As long as the brain-trust behind the scenes remains strong and with Kevin Feige at the helm and the quality remains high, it's a bit silly to think people will stop wanting to see them. There's literally no evidence to suggest that at this point.

Good shouts @RikSP Dr. Strange 2 and The Eternals are shoe-ins for one of those 2020/2021 Marvel slots.

Well I've been wrong on every count when it comes to the longetivity of the MCU, but if this is the big finale of the first main "arc" (ignoring all the "phases" stuff) then it's fair to wonder if audiences will still have patience for the series to build the stakes up all over again for the next big event.

Me personally I'm only interested in the next GOTG, but I don't really matter I guess

Time will tell. 

I am interested in where they go with The Eternals. Given they half-assed The Inhumans (not that anyone really cared one way or the other to begin with) these guys are Marvel's New Gods. They can be quite high concept. That won't work with the cookie cutter Marvel Formula of old. Sorry, of course that is wrong, ? It would just be a disingenuous, low-brow take on them. 

Kinda got used to the current cast. I think people take for granted the chemistry and casting of this first phase. 

Brie is ok but I don't get excited to see her onscreen. Black Panther was meh, to me personally, although I think Chadwick Boseman is the man. I do enjoy his performance. 

Then there's this Shang Chi. Good on em for branching out with their character diversity but; who the f? ? The guy has no powers as far as I can tell. 

It's just reservations on my part. I'll enjoy all them no doubt. 

I'm more excited to see casting for Fantastic Four and X-Men. Do we think they'll be ditching Mystique and gang? Going with fresh cast and beginnings ?

I mean obviously I’m a big fan and I’m not sure how much more I’m up for. I thought BP was fine but not very exciting, I didn’t even bother going to see Cap Marvel. Y’know if End Game ended with the old Porky Pig “That’s all folks” I would have been confused as to why Porky Pig but satisfied with the whole thing none the less

1 hour ago, Blakey said:

Especially after arguably the biggest, boldest and best Superhero film of all time in Endgame.

At first I thought you misspelled Infinity War but then I remembered you didn't like Winter Soldier. It all makes sense.

Personally I'm done with MCU after Endgame. Not that I'm tired of it (at least not anymore, Infinity War rekindled my interest) but I'm just not willing to financially support Disney anymore.

8 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Is that an ethical stance you're taking?

Yeah, I just think they're potentially extremely dangerous for the industry and moving at breakneck speed towards a monopoly.

I will make exceptions for stuff where other companies are involved (Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 for example, which is primary a Nintendo/Team Ninja product) but I'm staying away from their movies and Disney+.

1 hour ago, ThreeFour said:

Then there's this Shang Chi. Good on em for branching out with their character diversity but; who the f? ? The guy has no powers as far as I can tell. 

It's just reservations on my part. I'll enjoy all them no doubt. 

I'm more excited to see casting for Fantastic Four and X-Men. Do we think they'll be ditching Mystique and gang? Going with fresh cast and beginnings ?

latest?cb=20180910031445

Created during the 70's Martial Arts fad. There isn't that much more to him than that realistically. Is it really a question of 2019 Brand [faux] Diversity when the character was created to be perpetuate a stereotype?

Yes, X-Men has to start from square one. All of the old cast has to go. Especially Jackman and Lawrence. I read that James Marsden is throwing his hat back in the ring to play MCU Cyclops. He can do one, too. All four actors that played Magneto and Xavier respectively, nailed it. They will be the hardest to replace. 

The FF, I think need to be unknowns. Most recently they tried "Teen FF", that didn't work. They tried quite-famous before them, that didn't work either.

Kinda got used to the current cast. I think people take for granted the chemistry and casting of this first phase. 

Every time I read a variation of this line, Mostly one of Blakey's Fanboy spiels, as someone who grow up with the James Bond series, it never ceases to give me a good old belly laugh? 

33 minutes ago, OCH said:

Every time I read a variation of this line, Mostly one of Blakey's Fanboy spiels, as someone who grow up with the James Bond series, it never ceases to give me a good old belly laugh

Elaborate? ?

35 minutes ago, OCH said:

Created during the 70's Martial Arts fad. There isn't that much more to him than that realistically. Is it really a question of 2019 Brand [faux] Diversity when the character was created to be perpetuate a stereotype?

Yeah that's about as much as I garnered from a quick search. Just a bit of a dud. Though I'd imagine pickings are slim for certain ethnicities. Can't really think of any obvious better choices off top of my head ?

37 minutes ago, OCH said:

The FF, I think need to be unknowns. Most recently they tried "Teen FF", that didn't work. They tried quite-famous before them, that didn't work either.

It's about the right person in the right role at the right time. They need four here that will bounce off one another. Chris Evans as Human Torch got on my tits (the character is a bit of hot head tho ?) but as Cap he's splendid. 

Looking back I don't think there has been a cast member of the FF I thought "yep, that's them" in all four films, unlike say Patrick Stewart as Professor X. As you said though, it is the chemistry that matters most.

Most of Marvel's best ethnic characters are X-Men. No other team in Marvel (or DC) has a wider selection of Female, Black, Asian, disabled, LGBT etc based characters. Pretty much all of them have strong characterisation too. That is one of the reasons that people pointed out how "white" the MCU cast initially were. Most of the non-white characters in Marvel are Mutants.

Lastly, the idea that the same people, regardless of success, will remain to helm any film series into the distant future is naive. Actors price themselves out of roles, directors and writers move on to other projects. That is how the movie industry works. The Dark Knight made $1 Billion, the next film was Nolan and Bale's last Batman film.

2 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

I’m just not willing to financially support Disney anymore.

Funny you should say that. I’m not willing to financially support Pepsi and Coke anymore as they’ve got a duopoly on the soft drink market.

Neither am I willing to financially support Andrex anymore as Kimberly-Clark have a monopoly on the toilet roll industry. 

Neither am I willing to fly on a Plane because Airbus and Boeing have a duopoly on the passenger aircraft industry.

?????

Spoiler

?

Tbh, I thought Mary's Disney boycott was cause of their lobbying to get excluded from paying tax in Anaheim or how they have fucked the public domain for decades with their Mickey Mouse shit. In any case, there's not a shortage of reasons to be "fuck Disney".