passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

It really irked me there was no Mid or End credits scenes. Most likely because it was late and I was really tired. Still, it would have been nice to see a sneak peak at what is to come, be that the Grecian Mountain stronghold of Olympia (The Eternals), a certain School in upstate New York (X-Men), a 60's Rocket lost to Cosmic Rays (The FF) or even the new body that the Wakandans built for Vision. 

It was a good enough film to stand its own so I'm not particularly saying part 2. But so much is left unsettled. So many dead. Even he's (Thanos) still alive which is an affront. I wouldn't call it closure.

Spoiler

Maybe the start of this film could've been the end on that one. The finality of them ending him and him having destroyed the stones, would have tightened it up a bit more. We could then join the film 5 years later with Endgame n just get on with it.

I'm not unhappy with how it's all folded out. Just everytime I watch IW I know it's not done, ya know. Anyway that's not important. 

Spoiler

Cap holding Mjolnir I actually took the other way. That he is special enough to wield the hammer. And it made for such an epic scene aswell as fight. Thor's smirk "I knew it" was nice. Fun little interplay between them "here, you take the smallest" as Thor tosses Mjolnir to Cap ? Comic book goodness ?

More takes but gotta go work...

Spoiler

I did like it how still no one could beat Thanos, no matter how many times they tried. Sure they killed (essentially) a crippled Thanos, with a sneak attack. But when the full powered version arrived, even with all the fancy hammers and armours, it still wasn't enough. As I said before, in the source material, the only that can beat Thanos is Thanos. So it was respectful of that, which I appreciated, that the Gauntlet itself was the thing to kill him.

Two comments I've read on the interwebs since, I thought to add here:

Spoiler

1) How did Thanos bring his entire army from the past to the present, when they only had Pym Particles for a single person?

2) What was the moral of the story? Don't move on with your life? Deny reality?? The people still alive after the five year time skip, continued with their lives albeit reluctantly. Only then they had the Dusted return exactly as they were before they vanished, and what comes next?

@OCH

Spoiler

The Russo Bros said regarding Thanos getting his army through, he and Ebony Maw are very clever and reverse engineered the technology.

Personally, I think that's a bit of a cop out answer myself.

It might have been good to have the start of End game (up to the time skip) as the end of IW, then maybe have a movie (or season of Agents of Shield) set in that 5 year gap. Would have given more consequence to the snap.

I still don't get how people have been integrated back into the world. So, is the world fucked up from the snap and everyone is plopped back into it, or has the world rebuilt around them like they where never away? I would hope that the next films touch on this in some form.

37 minutes ago, Maf said:
  Reveal hidden contents

With that haircut, I'd say doubtful...?

@Jimbo Xiii Exactly. I didn't think about it at the time, yet after reading the comment, I just thought it opened up a huge plot hole. I guess the idea was to end the story with a nice little bow, which would have been true, without the skip.

Obviously I have no skin in it other than being a fan, and there’s still a tremendous amount of money to go, but I’d be v happy if Avengers ended up being the #1 movie of all time. Even though it isn’t even the best MCU film just as a pin on this whole thing and to end it with no uncertain terms at the very top would be super cool. 

10 minutes ago, Maf said:

Obviously I have no skin in it other than being a fan, and there’s still a tremendous amount of money to go, but I’d be v happy if Avengers ended up being the #1 movie of all time. Even though it isn’t even the best MCU film just as a pin on this whole thing and to end it with no uncertain terms at the very top would be super cool. 

So I just had a quick look into that and, adjusting for inflation, Gone with the Wind is still the highest grossing film of all time. Avatar garnered $2.7 billion theatrically and is thought to be the highest grossing modern film. I'd say Endgame will top that.

Doubtless we're talking earnings here, as the '#1 movie of all time', because there are some legendary films out there that existed prior to 2008 held in far greater esteem. I'm a fan of comic book films as a whole. I've seen the entire gamut from abysmal (Steel, Catwoman etc) to impressive, but I do think Batman has still got number one comic book film, most likely The Dark Knight. The MCU had some teething troubles with tone and visual aesthetic early on. The consistency of the former, continues to be an issue.

Yeah, I mean like I say I don’t think Endgame is even the best MCU title, but both literally and symbolically it is a brilliant representation of everything Marvel has done and achieved in Hollywood and for it to ‘go out’ (It’s not going anywhere but it will probably never be bigger) as the #1 thing of all time would make me very happy as a comic book movie and in particular MCU fan 

It is funny that the Avengers fans (that is to say the niche comic book fanbase, prior to the Movies) have generally kept quiet in their reaction to their cinematic representations. I know, from what little I've gathered, the response to Captain America has been overwhelmingly positive.

Many, myself included, didn't give a shit about the character prior to the film.

Reactions to Iron Man have been a little more mixed, some I've read saying RDJR is just playing himself onscreen and not Tony Stark. Black Widow has been quite negative, with most of her characterisation lost in translation (irony) and reception to Thor continued to grow more negative with each successive film. 

The latter characters perhaps, in direct contrast to casual/general audience reactions.

So I’m not an old school Avengers fan but I started really liking Cap with Brubaker, Thor with Strchinzki (I’ve never going to learn that name for as long as I live) and Iron Man with Extremis. I generally started reading Marvel again just before Civil War so my likings of these characters pre date the MCU by a tiny bit in the grand scheme of things. That being said, I think Cap on screen is fantastic, Iron Man is better than it ever was and Thor gets away from itself a little bit but that character has been more fun ever since Ragnarok (Coincidentally that is true for both the comics and the films) I don’t like what they’ve done with the hammer and he’s supporting cast but as a character he is still super likeable. 

And the MCU has even done the comic book versions of these characters a great service. Fraction’s and Aja’s Hawkeye is a modern Marvel masterpiece. It is not really like the MCU version at all, despite coming out a year later than the movie, and the very first panel in the comic is this 

5f7e4ed0e18648d8ee6f0170b37be443.jpg

Look familiar? 

jeremy-renner-as-hawkeye-in-the-avengers

This character might not ever got this title without that movie. It works both ways. 

Point being is is that the films have let go of the comics a long time ago, just cherry picking what they like. Which is fine because the comics do that anyway. People bitching about “this isn’t like how it was” or whatever, I don’t want to throw that criticism under the bus because like with Thor I feel it as well sometimes, but this is just an alternate universe version of these characters. Like the Ultimate universe, or 2099, or 1602 or any What If comics. It’s just another version of Marvel and out of all the ones referenced actually way more tradtional if not exactly the same.

I don’t want to deny any critics of it, there are some things I wish were different in the MCU, but I think fighting for it to be panel to screen faithful is people just being stick in the muds. It’s actually a really great version of Marvel and part of the reason it would make me really happy for Endgame to be #1 at the box office is just so many people got exposed to a really great version of something I really love. No point moaning about if they didn’t get the exact experience, they still got an awesome one

I know there are some people that are waiting for their character onscreen. I just don't think that is likely to ever happen. The only exact panel to screen adaptation was Sin City 1, with TMNT (1990) being a close second. There have been four Spider-men and six Batmen, each brought something different to the table from the same source material. It is the nature of the beast.