passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

26 minutes ago, Maf said:

Wonder if he just comes back to do GotG or they put him back in charge of Marvel’s cosmic movies 

He was never in charge of the Cosmic Universe anyway. 

https://screenrant.com/james-gunns-mcu-role-overblown/

In a statement to Cinemablend MCU producer Kevin Feige revealed that Gunn’s involvement with the Cosmic Universe had been exaggerated.

"His influence was Guardians. It was Guardians. It was his input on Guardians and the Avengers films, as you've seen in Infinity War, and on the Guardians 3 script, which we’re still using. So you'll see that influence. I think online, sort of the notion of ‘architect across multiple cosmic things’ was slightly blown out of proportion."

The confusion comes from a statement Fiege made in mid 2017:

"I think it's a little early to know what it's going to look like. I think things are going to look very different at that point, but I think the early discussions we've had with James [Gunn] about Vol. 3 and beyond with what we'll call the 'Cosmic Universe' and the Guardian characters is very exciting. Which is why he signed up and we announced that even before Guardians Vol. 2 came out."

This was backed up a few weeks later when Gunn was asked by IGN about the statement and he said

"We talk about it all the time. It’s already a part of what I’m doing with Marvel and the conversations that Kevin and I have every day. When we’re talking about Guardians of the Galaxy 3, and that story, that’s a story that will lead to other stories. It’s innate to the DNA that that’s the end of a trilogy but it’s the beginning of a whole other element of the Marvel Cosmic universe. That’s a part of what I’m doing now."

In September 2017 at Hasbro HasCon Gunn was asked about his role in the future of the MCU and he said that he was creating movies around Guardians Vol. 3 as well as, and I quote: "I am shepherding the future of the Marvel cosmic universe.", but this was never backed up by Fiege or Marvel.

This was all said before and during the press and promotion tour for Vol. 2 so it just looks like two nerds got over excited about future projects and stuff got blown out of proportion. 

22 hours ago, Maf said:

Wonder if he just comes back to do GotG or they put him back in charge of Marvel’s cosmic movies 

Hope not. I really don't want to see Silver Surfer or Galactus reduced to nipple or junk jokes?

Other than Kurt Russell, GoTG 2 was one of the worst MCU movies to date.

Put whoever did Captain Marvel in charge of the Cosmic films. They at least got the tone right, for a change.

What do you mean? Stan Lee had absolutely nothing to do with the movies other than his cameos. He only had a producer credit because he co-created most of the characters, he had nothing to do with the creative process at all. 

I'm not saying he had a big role in the creative process, but as a producer he would have had a say in the films' or series direction as a whole, or at least sign off on them. 

I don't think he'd get a producer credit just for creating the characters, it would (and does) just credit him as "characters created by / based on". 

Why would he have to sign off on anything? He doesn’t personally own any of those characters and hasn’t been part of Marvel Comics since the 80’s. 

His executive producer credit is purely honourary because of who he is and what he contributed to Marvel Comics in the past. 

The closest he came to giving his approval on anything was telling press and fans he’d seen the movie and it was good.

Where does it say its purely honourary?  I know credits can be murky waters but its unusual for that sort of thing to happen; it's not stupid to come to the conclusion he would have had some input given his credit. 

But even so, he appears in the films and has been positive about them.  And I don't believe it to be disingenuous as they do fit into his style of storytelling. 

Stan Lee was to modern Marvel what Miyamoto is to modern Zelda. 

Also Stan Lee’s style of writing is let the artists do it and then fill in some word balloons so it makes some kind of sense 

Even that’s a bad comparison because Miyamoto still works at Nintendo and is an active producer on the series. He doesn’t mess with the creative process, but he’s still involved with production.

https://nintendoeverything.com/miyamoto-on-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-technologys-role-his-involvement-more/

Other than his cameos and press tours Stan Lee had absolutely no involvement at all.

19 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

so long as we can all agree Guardians 2 was pretty shit

Yep. Although, as stated, Kurt Russell was really good as Ego. I have really been impressed by the Big Name actors Disney have been getting for the MCU in the last few years. I was really surprised to see Annette Benning in Captain Marvel.