passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

• 1 month later...

I'll see it because it's free with my membership and I am interested in what they do with Mar-Vell (Jude Law). Also curious if they can redeem the piss-poor prior handling of the Kree. I have no interest in Ms Marvel, whatever her costume. Her only noteworthy role is still giving Rogue a better powerset...

rogue-vs-carol-danvers-ms-marvel.jpg?ito

Just seen Captain Marvel.

I really enjoyed it. It isn't the best MCU film, but it's fun. Brie Larson is excellent, and it was nice seeing Samuel L Jackson having a bigger role in an MCU film again. As a film it's a bit by the numbers. The plot is good enough, it clips along at a good pace but pretty forgettable, the characters make it though. I don't think anyone gives a bad performance. I hope it breaks out the same way Wonder Woman and Black Panther did, as it is probably a better film than both of those.

[reposted from Films because relevant thread] 

Wasn’t expecting much but it really surprised me. 

The story was fun with a couple of nice twists. The Skrulls were fantastic, and Mendelssohn absolutely stole the show as Talos. Seeing a bright eyed Nick Fury was fun, but one of the things that happens to him was unnecessary and really stupid. Like if there was a Top Ten Dumbest Things That Happened in a Marvel Movie list this would have a top spot.

90’s setting was a lot of fun, and the soundtrack especially gets a high score from me. Lots of nostalgia for the ears.

Lots of Easter eggs and important links to the other movies that mostly work really well, but a couple are a bit on the nose.

Its not the best MCU movie, but it’s one of the good ones for sure. 

34 minutes ago, RikSP said:

I agree with pretty much everything you said apart from Brie Larson, I thought she was just fine. 

Ben Mendelssohn though, amazing performance. 

Yeah a lot of people on the MCU Reddit are pretty Luke warm about her as well. I thought she seemed to be having fun with it. She's a great actress so I can see other films getting more out of her.

It wasn't a bad performance, it just didn't set me on fire. She was't endearing like Chris Evans as Captain America in his fish-out-of-water story, and she wasn't charismatic like Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in hers. When she was being cheeky though she was great so I hope we get to see her being more like that in other movies.

And I hope we get to see Rogue nerf the fuck out of her when the X-Men join the MCU because she's too powerful to be interesting now. 

Spoilers about Captain Marvel's powers and the end of the movie, and Endgame speculation.

Spoiler

I don't think they will, but I hope she isn't just a Deus ex machina in Endgame as a super weapon the defeat Thanos. At the end of this movie she's just got her full powers and is already destroying an armada of space craft, then she's had another 25 years to work on those skills. Also, would she not be aware of Thanos and he aware of her? He's been in the planet fucking business for at least 20+ years (judging from young Gamora) and he would probably know about Captain Marvel via Ronan? Probably over thinking it to be honest.

6 minutes ago, RikSP said:

It wasn't a bad performance, it just didn't set me on fire. She was't endearing like Chris Evans as Captain America in his fish-out-of-water story, and she wasn't charismatic like Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in hers. When she was being cheeky though she was great so I hope we get to see her being more like that in other movies.

And I hope we get to see Rogue nerf the fuck out of her when the X-Men join the MCU because she's too powerful to be interesting now. 

Ideally: Endgame sees Stark's vision as a reality, with Thanos standing over all of them. Dr. Strange appears out of the blue with the "help" he foresaw he would need. Cue remix of the TAS theme song and the X-Men (all recast, of course) emerge from a portal and promptly kick Thanos' ass. Then together with Jean Grey or Legion, Dr Strange uses the Gauntlet to remake reality. Phase out the Avengers, phase in the Mutants and a Spider-Man that a fanboy friend of mine doesn't disdainfully refer to as "Iron-Man's groupie".

1 hour ago, Maf said:

Captain Marvel smashed it at the box office. Guess that Black Widow movie is a shoe in now 

Should have happened in Phase 2. I doubt it will now though. Endgame represents the finale to that first set of contracts. Samuel L Jackson has noticeable renewed his, no official word on any of the others though. My nieces really don't like Black Widow. One of my nieces remarked, watching Infinity War, "Why wasn't she dusted? She couldn't even be bothered to dye her hair in this one!" ? 

Well there have been talks of Black Widow scripts and I think they have a director signed to the film but that never made it a guarantee. And I guess it still isn’t but I see it being far more likely now Marvel have proof that people will come see one of their girl characters. 

I thought it was a missed opportunity that in Infinity War you don’t get to see Black Widow use the name Yelena as a fake name at some point because of the hair. 

That name drop was what I was expecting when I saw the Blond hair, alas they didn't even address it. I think they will move on to making films with new characters now and Black Widow's time has passed. I mean, Skrulls are in Captain Marvel, in the MCU, which means the Mutants aren't far behind them. 

I think Black Widow still being around could be kind of cool. Say all the OG Avengers go away for whatever reason I could see her filling the role of Nick Fury in the movies. Being the secret intel person in the shadows and secretly supporting the New Avengers 

New Avengers team should be Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Ant-Man and the Wasp and Valkyrie. 

And Iron Heart, fuck it