passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

Hela and Ego were the only parts of their respective films that were not absolute shite. Goofy low brow comedy undercut literally every important dramatic scene both Ragnarok and GoTG 2 had. Thor's characterisation in particular, was tossed out of the window for guffaws instead.

8 minutes ago, OCH said:

Hela and Ego were the only parts of their respective films that were not absolute shite. Goofy low brow comedy undercut literally every important dramatic scene both Ragnarok and GoTG 2 had. Thor's characterisation in particular, was tossed out of the window for guffaws instead.

100% this. 

The forced humour in both really rubbed me the wrong way. 

The underlying theme of family in GotG2, specifically that blood isn't thicker than water and family is what YOU make it really spoke to me. My sister is adopted so many of the conversations we had with her growing up were mirrored in this, almost verbatim at some points, so it resonated with me on a personal level. Which is why the forced jokes and constant back patting "hey guys, do you remember this from the first movie? Wasn't it funny!?" really grated on me. And the way characters and performances seemed like they were allowed to breathe and develop in GotG1 was thrown out as they were written to be like how James Gunn thought fans wanted them to be, Drax for example, was a fucking moron in GotG2 and it completely ruined his character. The movie is worth watching for the Star-Lord/Yondu arc and that it's about it. Baby Groot should have been fed into a fucking wood chipper. 

Fuck me, I just realised how much I disliked that movie. 

I didn’t like much about GOTG2 so agree with most of what’s been said, although I think Ego is probably my most forgettable MCU villain.

Completely disagree with Ragnarok though. I don’t know what the comic interpretations of the characters is/was so can’t be disappointed with Hela/Thor’s characterisation.

I didn’t think the humour was forced at all either. I think that making the comedy feel so natural and free-flowing is one of the films biggest strengths, without the laughs and Taika Waititi’s talent you would’ve got another Thor 2....it is a true masterpiece in my view.

I don’t really care if it’s 100% authentic to the characters or whatever it was just a fantastic watch and genuinely hilarious throughout for me personally.

37 minutes ago, Blakey said:

Completely disagree with Ragnarok though. I don’t know what the comic interpretations of the characters is/was so can’t be disappointed with Hela/Thor’s characterisation.

I'm not even talking about comic book characterisation. I'm talking about Thor's complete personality shift within the MCU, from everything before it, to Ragnarok. For example, The scene where he met Surtur was supposed to be dramatic yet instead of tension were derpy quips. The scene where he makes an impassioned speech to Hulk about escape ..and throws the ball which bounces off the window and hits him in the head. That's not comedy, that is sabotaging your own film, undermining its integrity for an infantile visual gag. The tone was all over the place and that is an attribute of a Bad movie.

Likewise GoTG's running "gag" about Drax' nipples, WTF was that all about!?!

As a fan of villains, only Loki and Thanos have been memorable to date. The rest run the gamut of mediocre to awful.

• 1 month later...

Mysterio is an interesting choice. That Could be Abomination, Molten Man and Hydro Man, or just Mysterio's SFX tech. Good to see his "fish bowl" made the leap to Live Action, although it does look CG and you were shown his Donnie Darko face. But that is a problem the MCU Movies have always had, which looks to be continuing...

32 minutes ago, OCH said:

Mysterio is an interesting choice. That Could be Abomination, Molten Man and Hydro Man, or just Mysterio's SFX tech. Good to see his "fish bowl" made the leap to Live Action, although it does look CG and you were shown his Donnie Darko face. But that is a problem the MCU Movies have always had, which looks to be continuing...

Chatter points towards Hydroman and possibly "The Elementals" (first time I've heard of them tbh). Apperently a number plate on something is ASM221 which is issue 221 of Amazing Spiderman where Hydroman first appears. Fucking nerds. 

They've got plenty of time to give the CG a polish yet, I've never had much issue with seeing faces (although I'm more aware of it now you've pointed it out).

I thought the trailer was fine, but I worry it is going to go too big. I liked homecoming because it was pretty low key and not chock full of big spectacular world ending events. This looks like it'll end in a big world ending punch em up. I'm ok with that I guess but I'd rather it be a bit smaller still (if that makes any sense).

54 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Chatter points towards Hydroman and possibly "The Elementals" (first time I've heard of them tbh). Apperently a number plate on something is ASM221 which is issue 221 of Amazing Spiderman where Hydroman first appears. Fucking nerds. 

They've got plenty of time to give the CG a polish yet, I've never had much issue with seeing faces (although I'm more aware of it now you've pointed it out).

I thought the trailer was fine, but I worry it is going to go too big. I liked homecoming because it was pretty low key and not chock full of big spectacular world ending events. This looks like it'll end in a big world ending punch em up. I'm ok with that I guess but I'd rather it be a bit smaller still (if that makes any sense).

The Movies (old and new) do often make the mistake of trying to upscale Spider-Man. He isn't one the Cosmic characters or world savers, he is a street level hero IE Friendly Neighbourhood. Which is why most of his adventures and foes work best on that level.

I wasn't keen on the last Spidey movie. I thought the Insomniac game told a much better story with stronger characters also. Maybe a little more by the numbers than the MCU one tho

I sort of liked the last Avengers film but this one looks like it will be one of those constant cutting globe-hopping hurriedly paced adventures.

1 hour ago, illdog said:

Ref Far from Home trailer, that "Whatsup dickwad?" bit made me laugh out loud.

I was going to post about it saying it's the thing that I didn't like about this reboot. Parker's friends aren't what they've been, MJ doesn't look like MJ, Flash is a midget nerd of colour rather than all-american jock arsehole

Then I thought, I don't really care, it was a decent film with or without that