passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

I really like Black Panther (perhaps I'm more woke than everyone else?). I thought Killmonger was one of the better villains they've had and it's a shame he was a one shot. The FX do let it down, especially the final set piece. 

48 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

I really like Black Panther (perhaps I'm more woke than everyone else?). I thought Killmonger was one of the better villains they've had and it's a shame he was a one shot. The FX do let it down, especially the final set piece. 

Those "rhino" things at the end.. WTF was that?! Who ok'd it??

For all those that championed this film for it's "progressive" black lead in a comic book movie, Blade did it better 20 years ago. Plus Deacon Frost was also a far more memorable villain that Killmonger, especially when he just boiled down to Black Panther 2.0 in the near identical costume.

@OCH tbf, it isn't just a black lead, but an almost entirely black cast,director etc. Something that in 2018 you would hope wouldn't have to be a big deal but that's where we find ourselves. 

Not that that should influence people's opinions of it, if people aren't fans so be it. 

I don’t think anyone was championing it as a ‘black lead’ comic book movie, more the fact it was the first all black cast comic movie (also Martin Freeman because white people are too sentitve not be represented in a comicbook movie).

I thought the film was great, but not the best, and certainly not Oscar worthy, unless they’re going for set and costume design, and music. Then yeah, I’m behind that. 

2 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

But Winter Solider is the best Marvel film they've done...

Yeah that is a curious one not to be a fan of. Iron Man 2 I get, personally I really like Iron Man 3, but mainly because I like Shane Black films. 

We're all white boys here so it's not a surprise that Black Panther doesn't resonate as well as it would if we were black. 

I don't like to take Black Panther's cultural relevance away from it (not that I can).  For me it's in the middle somewhere in relation to the rest of the Marvel films but more power to it, especially since it isn't just that it had a black lead and cast, as I'm sure behind the camera was mostly black, too. 

30 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

We're all white boys here 

Technically the 'fro says no, but that's by the by.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the MCU. I take umbrage with the fact they have largely cut unnecessary corners with the Source Material to "dumb it down", as it's easier to sell mass market. Of their recent efforts: Winter Soldier, Ant-Man and (most of) Infinity War are the only ones I actually like. The others have bits and pieces I enjoy but I'd need to be very bored to go out of my way to watch any of them. I like the former two I suppose because they show how the adaptable the Source Material can be IE a Spy Thriller, a Heist Movie.

None of them "wow" me, in the same way as when I first saw X-Men, Hellboy or Hulk. Largely because Disney plays the MCU far too safe and predictable.

1 hour ago, DifferentClass said:

We're all white boys here so it's not a surprise that Black Panther doesn't resonate as well as it would if we were black. 

Thats not entirely accurate. A film should be criticised and merited by how it turns out. There’s so many entirely black casted films overlooked. The argument for BP is that block buster movies are never almost entirely or even 1/3 a divert cast and that’s true.

Look at black dynamite. An amazing comedy. Black cast. Entirely overlooked. 

Do i I find movies more appealing or speak more for myself if the cast is pro dominantly white? Of course not. A good film is a good film is a good film. 

Look at Ghostbusters. They tried to make it seem as though the negative feedback was because that the cast was mostly female. Nope, you made a mostly crap film. There’s great female lead movies. 

Could BP been made with a variety of ethnics. Nope. The heritage of the story is actually great. That’s one thing I like about it actually. The problems are the holes. Holes don’t discriminate one way or the other. 

Btw the worst character was Martin Freeman. He just played his usual confused man. The best was the sister, her humour was grounding and really played on the ridiculousness of what was happening around her. 

18 minutes ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

Do i I find movies more appealing or speak more for myself if the cast is pro dominantly white? Of course not. A good film is a good film is a good film

I don't really disagree with what you're saying except here. 

If you're telling me you don't enjoy a film that is less than the sum of its parts but speaks to you more personally then I think you're a lier.  It's all part of films being subjective. 

And another part is we're inadated with films from a white POV so it is taken for granted.  It feels like the default.  So when a POV outside of that, especially in a mainstream film, can elevate a film. 

And of course there are a lot of overlooked films from black film makers, but I guess I'm just glad Black Panther isn't another one. And it may lead into future ones not being overlooked, too. 

Thor Ragnarok is outstanding,such a fun film. I put off watching it for ages,as Thor 2 was absolutely awful,thus I was in no rush for more. But Ragnarok absolutely made up for it.

I wouldn’t personally put Winter Soldier alongside the tediousness of Iron Man 2/Thor 2/Age Of Ultron. WS was a brilliant film.