passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

DisturbedSwan

I downloaded mine ages ago. I don't really know why as I'm rubbish at fighting games. 

And I've just seen a Switch review of monster boy, which looks incredible, and I still haven't started Octopath Traveller.?

It's this spirit thing that's got me intrigued. Hopefully that will be enough to get me good enough to lose honourably online.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone interested in what data miner's have found?

I'll spoiler it for those that enjoy strategic marketing.

Spoiler

GameXplain did a podcast going over the leaks:

For those that don't want to listen to a 40 minute podcast on it the rumoured character are:#

Spoiler

A Dragon Quest protagonist (likely Erdrick)

Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

Steve (Minecraft)

DOOM Guy (DOOM)

Who will go alongside the already announced Joker (Persona 5)

To be honest I can see them all happening, unlike that Grinch leak from a few months ago which stunk from High Heaven from the start.  Dragon Quest has a legacy with Nintendo so I think a character from there is more likely than Cloud who is already here.

Classic NES Ninja Gaiden also has a legacy with Nintendo but there are also rumours that some anniversary collection is to be announced in 2019 (Please be of the recent trilogy rather than the NES games) so if these characters are gonna double as a promotional tool I could see that, if everything falls into place.

Steve is a new character but to a younger generation he's their Mario so having him their I could see working.

DOOM Guy is the one I'm least convinced about but if I'm generous I can see a theory.  He is a legacy character, and while not known for being on Nintendo they have all been there.  I think DOOM 3 was the only one not to, but then DOOM 64 was kinda it's own, unique thing.  And with Panic Button's ports of DOOM '16 and Eternal coming it is the face of the AAA on Switch.  So maybe?

• 1 year later...

A Vault Boy costume from Fallout is coming to Smash Bros. I called it what feels like forever ago but more than ever I’m certain Doom Guy is going to be a Smash character. 

Also Max reacts to new Smash character 

Man, I really wish I could get back into Smash Bros. When that top 100 list came up about a month ago I was thinking about it and actually Smash 64 might be a top 10 game of all time for me and Melee is definitely top 25. But I’ve fallen off harder and harder ever since the Wii U one and now it’s like it’s all gotten away from me.

Also the times I’ve tried to play Smash online suck ass. Nintendo’s internet is so laggy. 

Was actually expecting Min-Min, happy to be right once in a while.

As for Smash I'm pretty much out of it as well. I remember the first time playing the WiiU version online and running into someone who was actually really good at it and it became clear very quickly that there was just too much of a gap between what I thought was how the game is supposed to be played and how it actually is being played. Even more so in smash as in other fighting games because Smash is 90% about movement and I'm very, very bad at that. I can hold my own in Street Fighter because movement in that series is mostly very simple and limited, but I stay far away from Anime fighters for the same reason and Smash turns the execution requirements for movement alone up to 11 even compared to those games.

I still play it from time to time with my younger brother who has a better understanding of how it works. I get the occasional knockout but even compared to him there's so much I'd need to pick up and I honestly don't even know if I have the dexterity to do that. 

• 3 months later...