passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Hated Games We Love

HandsomeDead

23 minutes ago, spatular said:

from the picture, TP is probably my favorite 3d zelda, it's ace, the motion controls were fun too. and RR7 is great, didn't know there was hate for that. the vita one had some hate iirc, but i liked that one too.

I'll write something at some point regarding each one but the reason I picked those games are all different.

With RR7 it's more that it is forgotten about, didn't sell that well and doesn't have the impact it once did.

MvCI is recent one and doesn't need much explaining.

Devil's Third was critically panned.

Skyward Sword did ok critically but it has turned into a black sheep amongst a lot of fans.

Lollipop Chainsaw has a fan base but it is trash and I love it.

Nobody bought Fragile Dreams.  Not sure it's a hidden gem but it has cool stuff in it.

6 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

Lollipop Chainsaw has a fan base but it is trash and I love it.

I honestly regard Lollipop Chainsaw as a B-Movie kind of game. There's a certain appeal in these kind of games that AAA titles don't have the bravery/stupidity to even attempt, never mind pull off. I'm actually starting to prefer these batshit products over the big-budget blockbusters.

Plus, any game that gives you an achievement for looking up your character's skirt is a winner to me. It wouldn't normally be, but it's tongue in cheek so totally fits with the tone of that game. God, that all makes me want to go back and play it again...

I don’t think Epic Mickey 2 was hated but I know there won’t be many that hold it in the high regard I do.

It was just such a huge surprise, the fact that if you wanted to go for 100% completion meant two play throughs and that your actions had consequences to certain branches of plot development... it was just a depth I wasn’t expecting. 

I hate to use the over used but fuck... it was kind of charming too. In a sinister way which is opposite to all things Mickey.

I think I ended up playing it for 30 to 40 hours but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear someone say “that’s a shitty video game” after an hour or two and never go back to it.

I’m also just to going to quickly mention Fable 3. Again not universally panned but I know it wasn’t loved by all. But I just fucking love Fable and this was the most developed version of it. I never had any hopes that it would be anything more than what it is which I know is vague but I was always just on board with what the game is. And it’s fucking great.

I played the first Epic Mickey and I think it just didn't live up to the visual standard of the concept art they were throwing around before they showed the game.  I never played the sequel but I could see it scratching a certain itch.  It's the sort of thing I would have given a shot of it turned up on PS+.  I don't think it ever did.

So I think I'll go a little deep with one of my choices.  I'll start with the big one; Skyward Sword.

From what I remember, while the game reviewed well enough, not top tier but definitely better than average.  What I did see a lot at the time was criticisms from the audience.

The first one is one I can't really argue.  It was that the game's world was pretty small, there was a lot of revisiting areas and there wasn't like a big Hyrule Field equivalent.  The Sky area is small and doesn't really contain much to explore and find.  And I do agree with that, it would have been nice to have places to explore.  But I think Skyward Sword does have a different focus.  The focus is on the combat and puzzles.  But then that's the bigger problem for a lot of people.

The fact that the game made heavy use of motion controls for combat and using items was always going to rub people the wrong way (some? a lot? I don't actually know).  But the controls were implemented well; I remember having fun with them.  I would wonder if maybe it was because there was such a dismissal of these kinds of controls at the time that there was a reluctance to even get used to them.  They are a finicky thing but I felt after using them quite a bit over numerous games that you get used to the limitations and know where they are, then I'd learn to use them and work within the limitations.  I knew how to move it to get the best results.

Is it accurate controls? No, of course not, but it's novel.  And personally, I don't see novelty as a criticism.  It was a novelty that easily lasted the duration of this game.  Of course, I don't want all Zelda games to be like this, but I love that this one is like this.

I just think it rules.  It has some really strong dungeons since it wasn't so open the bits outside of dungeons were like more chill dungeons and it had some fun, goofy fighting.

I also think it's the best for story and atmosphere.  I even prefer it to Breath of the Wild in some ways.  Zelda was more of a charmer in this, and of course, there was this guy:

Spoiler

tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.gif

I think there could be a lot of Wii games, or others that were built around motion controls in this thread.  I can't believe I missed Star Fox Zero, I can see it from where I'm sitting.  That game was probably received more harshly.  It is another novel treat to me.