passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming White Whales

DANGERMAN

This is something I've heard crop up a few times recently, on here illdog was talking about Okami and how he'd never, until recently, seen it through to the end. 

For me it was Grandia. I had it on the Saturn in Japanese and, understandably  never finished it. I bought the ps1 version on ps3 and didn't get around to it for years. It took me turning it in to a YouTube series to force myself to finish it, and it's a great game. 

Now it's probably Disgaea, preferably the first but any of them really, and Etrian Odyssey. I managed to finish a Shin Megami Tensei game, so now it's just one of those I'm determined to finish one day 

And Witcher 3  

Final Fantasy IX for me. I borrowed it off a mate on PS1, got stuck on a boss on the second disc.

Bought it when it came out on Vita, got stuck on the same boss. Started it again and got to the third disc but got stuck in some weird tower where I had to light candles. I'll go back and finish it one day.

It pains me that I've never finished it too, because I love everything about that game!

The first time I finished Super Metroid was the Wii U Virtual console release.  I played it a few hours on my friends SNES originally, got it on the Wii VC and played a lot more of it, but it was only when they put it on the Wii U I got it again (at a good discount since I already had iton Wii) and I think while I was ill I just played it in bed on the GamePad and I finally saw it right to the end.

I think a lot of peoples experience with Okami is playing over multiple consoles.  I bought it at launch on PS2 and tried a couple of times to finish it but it was my third attempt when I played the PS3 version (can't remember if it was a PS+ game or heavily discounted) I finally saw the end of that.  But with a PS2, Wii, PS3 and now PS4 releases all staggered out I wonder how many have picked it up each time and still not seen the end?

I don't know what will be next.  I have a stack of games I'd like to invest some serious time into but you know how it is

I think I may try to find a cheap copy of the Final Fantasy X remaster.  I like what I played of that game.  I did play a good chunk of it.

• 1 month later...

I’ve got two Zelda games that bug the fuck out of me due to their incomplete status: Spirit Tracks on DS and Skyward Sword on Wii.

I remember having difficulty with a section on Spirit Tracks and inconceivably I managed to just let it fall by the wayside.

Skyward Sword I’ve started twice, the second time was just before BotW came out as I used it as a digital aphrodisiac but really got in to it. Sadly the second that Switch came through the door SS got fucked off again.

One day...

Witcher 3. I've bought it ready to play in the summer when I've time to commit to what is probably a long RPG. I wasn't going to bother having not been all that into the others, but all the praise flowing out of everywhere I think I need to give it a go.

Stuff I've not finished in the past I'm long past caring about ??

Seconded on the Bethesda thing. 

Fallout 3 - 20-25 hours, got bored.

NV - didn't even last 10 hours.

Oblivion - 15-20 hours.

Skyrim - 15-20 hours.

I just don't get them. I mean, I get what they're good at, but they just don't grab me at all.

Bethesda RPGs are god tier. I’m ashamed so many of you have neglected them, like literally Fallout 3 and Skyrim are 1 and 2 in my GOAT list. NV and Oblivion can get fucked though I agree that much, but then Oblivion was before my RPG epiphany.

I don’t have any white whales I can remember that well, I’m probably most gutted I never finished Sonic 1 and 2 all these years later as I played them so many damn times but could never finish them.

Loads of PS2 games I played for a few hours then gave up on too. San Andreas and Vice City would standout as unfinished too.