passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Iconoclasts

HandsomeDead

I got this a while back and I see no-one else got it so I'll put something here about it.

I was always going to get this because frankly it feels kinda tailor made for me.  It looks like another pixelated "Metroidvania" but that would actually be fairly inaccurate.  While the action looks like it takes inspiration from those kinds of games its actually closer to the Wonder Boy games - or more specifically Monster World IV.  This feels like if SEGA published a game to compete against Metroid in the 16bit era and it was made by Treasure.  It's that good.

So you jump and shoot around (some really nice, tight, satisfying controls), solving some surprisingly clever puzzles and fighting really cool bosses.  Whats interesting about the bosses is they nearly always bring a new mechanic with them that you have to learn to use over the fight.  Sometimes you even take control of another character entirely that you've not used at this point.  It really brings a new panic to the fights, but you have enough life to learn and make a few mistakes without dying and having to start over.

It's got a real JRPG scale story as well.  You often have party members, there is loads of lore and your antagonists get some JRPG level characterisation as well.  It really has more than you'd expect for an action game.  I wouldn't say its that good, but I admire the thought.  It gives the game a certain personality at least.  Like Axiom Verge, it's entirely made by one guy so a certain personality is gonna come out I guess.

Early 2018 has been kinda insane for these kinds of games but don't forget this one as well.  It's the real deal.