passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Crypt of the NecroDancer

Whiskey_chaser

Surprised I couldn't find a thread for this...

It's been out a while and i'd eyed it up on other platforms but ever pulled the trigger, but finally bought it on the Switch and it's superb. It's a rogue-like where you keep pushing further through a dungeon, unlocking new equipment that makes your life easier for the next run with the big twist being that all movement has to be timed to music and monsters also have their own movement pattern to the beat. The soundtrack's superb as well. 

It has that 'one more go' factor, and it never feels unfair. I'm still pretty shit at it, and have only made it to the third area so far but it's still throwing numerous surprises at me even in the first few stages, and I can feel myself improving the more I play.

It seems the perfect fit for the Switch - a game you can pick up and play for five minutes or a good long session.

ss_849069b2208a21d5adfc00d67e5b8b428e2d0677.1920x1080.jpg

I own so many games on Steam that have subsequently been released on the Switch, I wish I owned them on the Switch instead. Off the top of my head - this, Stardew Valley, Axiom Verge, Rocket League, Darkest Dungeon, Yooka Laylee, I Am Setsuna, probably twice as many. But maybe it will give me an incentive to play them.

• 1 year later...

Picked it up again and it clicked.

Done two full runs of Zone 1 so unlocked Eli and killed Death Metal twice (what a great boss). Unlocked loads of items for the dungeon too.

I didnt realise that I could attack normally with the default weapon, I thought I could only throw it. I didnt figure out I could just attack normally until after I'd defeated Death Metal for the first time ?

This game is absolutely fantastic and I'll definitely be picking up Cadence of Hyrule afterward.

I just spent half an hour on this. Seems cool, but I definitely want to get the hang of it before spending €25 on Cadence of Hyrule.  I unlocked a few better items that appear in chests. One thing I don’t really like is the items that require two button inputs (like up-right or up-down). Seems so clumsy.

Played a bit more and I'm starting to get the hang of Zone 2. It's still kicking my ass but I'm beginning to work out enemy patterns and managed to get to the third floor on a  couple of occasions so getting  closer to the boss. 

Hopefully I'll have Zone 2 finished by the end of the day.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/06/2019 at 00:24, DifferentClass said:

Yeah, I'm bad at it so I'm in two minds about CoH even though it does look easier.  Or at least have a gentler increase in difficulty. 

cadence is really hard at the start but then can get pretty easy so the difficulty curve is odd but much easier than this...

i got this after enjoying cadence, and i can't really get anywhere in it, sometimes do ok if i get a spear but still not beaten the first part/boss, and then sort of gave up on it. cool music though, i like the one that's in amplitude.