passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon Ball FighterZ

HandsomeDead

Haha. Yeah it be like that. It’s a very easy game to get hooked on. I’ve now accomplished everything I want from ranked matches after my trophy today and still I’m like...I should play some more ranked matches. 

I really think the best characters in this game are all DLC. UI Goku is my favourite character not just for the anime but he has so many options and fun things he can do in the game. It’s too the point when he is knocked out and I have to use the other characters they feel so limiting. I really like that when UI Goku gets knocked down he can wake up and punch someone in the face. It’s ridiculous. 

My favourite joke I’ve seen about this game is that “UI Goku is fair and honest” lol.

Team synergy is hard. I haven’t even really figured it out myself. Teen Gohan was only meant to be place holder for me but he just kind of stuck and Gogeta barely works with the other characters. But as I was saying before he gets so much damage for so little he doesn’t need the help. 

FighterZ is fun. Let me know if you want to play again in the week I’m up for more 

Honestly, I really disliked playing against UI Goku. That fucking dodge every time I launched at you started to bug me. It's such a good offensive defense move.

I felt like Gohan was your danger character at first. You seemed massively in control of everything he did and absolutely abused me with him. I was hoping you brought him out early so I could take him out and have a chance at winning. Then I realised how devastating UI Goku is when you let loose with him.

Bear in  mind I've put about three hours into the game in total, but Gogeta does seem like your weak link at the minute. On the whole though, you're fucking fantastic at capitalising on someone like me, who foregoes defence to throw everything at you.

I’m not good enough to give real advice but a simple thing is to try and block low. Near the end of the hour I realised that I didn’t really have to do much complicated stuff I could just hit low to make an opening and it would work. 

The most damaging basic combos what I do all start with a down+triangle (This is a mechanic in the game) so if you get used to blocking low immediately your game will go up. 

I guess to add to that if you get used to starting combos with down+triangle you’ll do more damage too 

59 minutes ago, Maf said:

try and block low

Yep. Every time I thought I had you figured out I realised I was blocking at the wrong height. I got the hang of mid-air recoveries near the end, although for the life of me I can't figure out if there's a way to end a combo once you get going.

There are a few things you can do at the end of a combo but the options revolve around the character you’re using, and I don’t know your characters at all. But here is what I know. 

Universally for a bit of extra damage after a combo you can vanish attack and then hit R1 for free damage and knock down. This is the thing I do most when I panic and can’t think what to do. Incredibly easy and reliable. 

Some characters can do supers in mid-air or supers that track so finish with that. Easy once you get used to it. 

If you only have a super that works on the ground when you knock someone down hold down to fall with them and as soon as your feet touch the ground do the super. Sort of hard because positioning, distance and how the super attack works needs to be accounted for.

Most complicated is hitting your opponents in to assists and continuing combos. But this is really hard. You have to have the right assists that will work and combos are just harder to do after an assist because the stun time on the opponent is dramatically less, but it is possible. @HandsomeDead has a fantastic 5 minute combo with this so he can probably explain more 

Yeah, to stop combos going on forever, the longer they go on the less hit stun they do.  So when building long combos you have to consider putting your fastest moves at the end.  It's often as simple as just doing the light version of a special where you'd think it's more optimal to do a medium.  EX versions usually come out quickly too but you're spending meter for not a lot more damage (because you also have damage scaling as combos get longer) but you can also often extend the combos further off an EX though it's not always immediately apparent how.  

I've been working a little on that a little recently.

I've not been around much lately because I've not been feeling gaming much so it may have to be a spur of the moment thing.  If I do find myself on and you're on @Maf I'll send you a message for some games.

Yeah, sure. I’m working most days this week but I’m around tomorrow or the weekend. Oh, also

42 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

but you can also often extend the combos further off an EX though it's not always immediately apparent how.  

I've been working a little on that a little recently.

Leave it in the lab, eh. No one needs to see it we believe you ?

I saved this video of a game I had the other day and I didn’t upload it because it’s one of the worst things I’ve ever done to someone online and it brings great shame to my family. But I was playing someone who was God of Destruction rank and he whooped my ass. I mean he was all over me. His combos were flawless. His reactions were lightening. His dominance was asserted.

Anyway, I still can’t always wrap my head around the fact that when you vanish in sparking the mechanic changes. So I’m trying to beat this guy and keep trying to vanish on him but holding the buttons down so Gohan keeps stopping in front of him and freaking him out. He then realised I’m not doing anything just as I realise I’m not doing anything. Then I mash lights as he drops his guard and I scrubbed him the fuck out. It’s one of the messiest, scrappiest, lamest fights of my life. 

Then I did the thing that I would never normally do. I wouldn’t do this usually but I was on the grind to 530,000 and I wanted the trophy and to be done with it.

So I robbed this man and then at the end of the game I clicked “No rematch” and left 1-0 ?

I’m truly heinous, disrespectful and cowardly. I bring great shame to the dojo.

I got, what do the kids call it, SMOKED on this game tonight holy shit. I think I must of played nearly 20 games and lost 15 of them. That was humiliating. Even some matches I almost won I managed to throw away and lose.

I’m not sure what a block string is but I’m pretty sure I can’t do it on either side of the game. Everyone just seemed to be able to get through even the smallest of fraction of openings and whenever I felt like it was my turn I would jab and get mega punished for it. I honestly can’t work it out. It might be the system I hate most in the game because the flow of it really feels like it becomes my turn and I’m always wrong. I just don’t know what to do.

I’m also the stupidest person alive. I literally just try the same shit over and over and it never works and yet my thumbs just keep doing it. The brain is scrambling to understand what it’s seeing so the thumbs just let loose and hit the same buttons over and over and I get beat the fuck up over and over. 

Sigh what a bad night for video games. Officially demoralised. 

I'd say just try to get out when locked down by pressure.  It's a fast game so finding those unsafe frames in your opponent isn't easy.  This isn't like SFV where turns are a big part of the game, you can just escape, it's a valid option especially if your opponent is locking you down with block strings.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Zenkai boost! 

So a new balance patch is coming in August. Not much news yet other than they are introducing guard cancelling in the air. Can’t even imagine how that would work. 

My 3 biggest things would be 

1. Do season 4

2. Give me UI Omen Goku costume

3. Buff UI Goku

I would be very happy

• 1 month later...

The stream is today at 7pm @HandsomeDead talking balance adjustments and game mechanics changes like mid air guard cancel and the like. They’ve dropped images as well to who is getting rebalanced 

08_balance-dbfz-bnr.webp

Gogeta Blue getting ♪bu-uffs♪

Now if they would only buff UI Goku as well we be talking

They should give UI Goku a button where if pushed he just wins the match that would be nice 

@HandsomeDead

Fullscreen Dragon Rush and can Z change off any super move. I think the combo potential in this game just went through the roof. Can Z change off any special move - even if it’s blocked. Pressure is going to be even more ridiculous too.

Gogeta Blue got weak buffs 😓

Jiren got nerfed 😓
UI Goku got nothing 😓

Triple post

Damn the patch is live tomorrow!

They put really wild shit in the game, made the game even faster (!) gave everybody better, further reaching weapons, and my characters got shit

Why does that sound like a blatant conspiracy? 🤔

It’s because it is people conspiring against me all the time even in video games now

Here’s a taste of the Z change shit. This is nonsense. I can’t play like this

Look at Gohan 🤣

Fuck off lol

I’ve decided I’m going to main SSJ Goku. He is the most classic character I must learn him. Boot camp starts tomorrow. 

Honestly they should leave it in 🤣

Everything about the new patch comes off like a PC mod. I don't know how to describe it. Just adding on level 1 supers to level 3 supers to make level 4 supers. The way characters z change on special moves looks really weird and not right. The new Ki charge DR looks odd too. 

It feels like there's a huge amount of polish missing from the new patch. Add the bugs people have seen and the fact they just buffed everybody like fuck it. 

I have weird feelings about the new patch. It gives the game new life but did they make the game worse? I dunno