passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon Ball FighterZ

HandsomeDead

Shouldn't you end that with a Super or something?

But I agree that you seem to focus too hard on combos. It's a classic beginner mistake in fighting games. It doesn't matter how proficient you are with your combos if you can't land the first hit. And knowing how and when to land that first hit is something you won't learn in training mode. That's why in the beginning you usually just need one or two combos per character that you can pull off consistently so that you can focus on everything else and don't have to think about optimal punishes and whatnot whenever the opportunity arises. That all comes way later.

I mean I don't play this game but that's just a very general approach to fighting games.

So he can’t do a level 3 super because the enemy is too far away and he can’t hit the ground fast enough to do a level 1 super (Maybe I could fast fall and do it, I don’t know) 

I have modified that combo (by accident) to end it with a kick to the ground and GT follows him and then a super works. But that isn’t the combo and I’m trying to practice meterless stuff. 

@Maf fight randoms, it can look like this!  I'm not forcing you because I feel it needs to be done I'm doing it because I know you're ready.  Even scrubs have cool fights.

Actually, I'm not sure about this.  I captured it because I thought the person would leave after that, but we went two other rounds (they won then I did (I remain the winner)).  We had had two super cool fights knowing each others bullshit and they were easily more entertaining but I forgot to capture it.  Sorry.  I was too stressed I was more concerned with logging off and chilling.  It was that kind of fight.

I actually watched that back.

Another reason to play people to learn is you can save it and watch it back in hindsight.  I was a hit a lot by his auto combos, because I'm sure two of his characters actually had command grabs in their auto combo.  Maf felt bad about having an overhead in his, well command grabs are another level of bullshit.  But they do come out slowly and at a crucial moment I realised that and got a nice punish out.  This is what a fighting game is about when playing.  It's not only pulling off your best combos.  Cool defensive play is not always cool to the laymen viewer, but it feels excellent to you.  And you only get that learning to fight people.

Maf, you need pushed into the river of online matches.  In fighting games this is how you truly learn how to swim.  And I'm sure you'd nail it.

• 2 weeks later...

Gogeta buffs. They actually showed video of the 2M. The increased distance is really big. A lot of this doesn’t mean too much to me but everyone is really happy about the changes so that’s good.

Eh0w5r9XcAAK98I?format=jpg&name=large

They also basically left my boi UI Goku alone. Phew. 

Also this was very loud but very funny

Ugh. So I went online and played some casual games. First guy I played I beat but we were both terrible. Although the first guy definitely deserved the win over me. He was using UI Goku as well and doing things and combing things together I hadn’t even thought of and now can’t remember. But he kept just walking in to my mashy jab and I square button’d him to death. Very unsatisfactory.

Second guy wiped the floor with me maybe 7 or 8 times in a row. 

There are so many things I just don’t understand. I really don’t get defensive play at all. I feel like all of my characters are blocked twice and then anything else I try to do they just stand there for ages. Yet when I was blocking against the other guy and was like well surely now it’s my turn his moves don’t stop they just keep coming. 

Argh I don’t get it. How do you make openings?

Also I have to start using C assists. They just set people up for so much. Literally every time he landed a C assist I lost a tonne of health. It’s almost like they are built for pure set up where as the other assists are meant to be apart of your combo. The C assist just sets the ground for the combo. At least that’s what it feels like. 

Wow. I just don’t know what I could of done at all. I really got to drop GT Goku. As soon as he is out there he is just dead. He is too awkward to use and I don’t understand how his moves fit together. 

I don’t mind losing (Well, I do, but I can except it). What’s more annoying is I don’t know why nothing worked. I couldn’t figure out how to approach, I couldn’t figure out how to get past his defence, I couldn’t figure out how to stop his attacks. 

Yuck that sucked

Ugh. Normals didn’t work, lows didn’t work, overheads get a hit but you can’t do anything fast enough to follow up, Dragon Rushes are really slow if try to do it after an attack and he moved about too much to start with a Dragon Rush. Heavy’s don’t do anything. 

His combos were so consistent as well. 9/10 times he got one hit in that was it, half a health bar. I found the game to be quite laggy for me. Not that was the reason I couldn’t pull off a single combo I think it was just nerves and pressure and I couldn’t hit the buttons right. It certainly wasn’t helping, though.

Props to the guy, though, he was killing me in mostly 2 touches every time.

Fucking C assist. I have to find good assists with characters and start using them. 

Man, I don’t get it.

If you play again and save a video I can have a look at it.

One thing you didn't mention is baiting.  Try to figure out your opponents habits like do they always super dash at full screen? use projectiles to force them making a predictable decision for example, and get that uppercut ready.

It's hard to play the spacing game in a game as fast and mobile as this one but it is an option.  I use it all the time with Teen Gohan because of his silly slide.  Just keep a little out of range and punish rash movement and button presses.

Another rinsing :( 

I just don’t know how specific parts of this game works. For all the “Don’t practice combos” as well I really need to figure out how to do mid-screen stuff. I literally don’t know how to do anything with Gohan. 

Even the ones I’ve practiced never work. Gogeta is Ok because you just hit light over and over but UI Goku’s combos never work. 

You can also see how slow my brain is. Every time I get SD’d at I guard then try to 2H. I’ve said this before but I find these games so hard because I can’t stop thinking about the thing that has just happened instead of keeping up with the fight. 

I don’t know. That was not good.

No, there’s no way I won 4 in a row. 

Your reaction times are so good. I wish I had that speed or natural reaction to stuff. I can’t believe the confirms you get off nothing. While I’m over with a perfect set up and still dropping the combo. Jeez. 

I also wished my fucking buttons worked god damn I just miss and miss and miss opportunities all the time. 

So many things I missed out on. DR’s just falling short. Watching you fall from the air and just waiting around like what do I do. Either hitting 2H too early or not at all. Still having trouble opening up defense. Still just don’t always know when it’s my turn to attack. And just having consistent combos with anyone but Gogeta. 

That was some tough shit. 

I think the technical term is battered 

@HandsomeDead Watch this guy absolute fucking trounce me. Like what was I supposed to do against this man? ? He played me completely. Not only is he like you where one hit can be turned in to a combo but even when I did things I didn’t know what I was doing and spamming buttons out of panic he still played around me even then

Yikes. I can’t watch. I’m going to give myself credit for the fact that I managed to last 5 minutes against him (Even if that is over 2 games)