passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon Ball FighterZ

HandsomeDead

@HandsomeDead

Some of those games were a lot closer than before. Still so many improvements I have to make. I’m also really impressed just with how consistent your combos are. Sometimes I just get tagged by one thing and then you’re on the inside and I’m losing half a life bar. You also really good at bouncing off a wall and still confirming, which I’ve done in training but not today. 

But what did I win? 4 games out of 10 or so. That’s not too bad, dude. Even if some of those wins were super lucky and some of those losses were a real thrashing ?

My main take aways are

1) Learn when it’s actually my time to switch from defensive to offensive. So many times I block successfully, thought it was my turn, pressed a button and nope. There’s a super dash. 

2) I have to figure out assists more. I have some pretty nice solo combos but if I could find assists so the characters worked together I could do more damage. Also using assists to keep up pressure when being blocked. I don’t know I just don’t think to use them.

3) Get my quarter circles right ? Not only was that one match where I level 1’d instead of 3 embarrassing but I think I would of won if I did that properly. It would of hit. Also just fluffing quarter circles all the time. I don’t think you ever saw my good UI Goku combo because I just couldn’t get the attack out. So many bad inputs. 

Much better but a long way to go ?

I definitely going to have to practise more myself.  Since you are teching I need to tighten up my execution and I planned to freshen up in training.  I've literally not used Goku Black for years so I was remembering stuff on the fly.  I did want to at least land his corner combo once but I was never comfortable enough.

But yeah, you're definitely improving.  You know when it's your turn more and I couldn't fuck around with overheads as much.

I like Gogeta but he seems pretty easy to block. If it hits then the combo is pretty easy because most of it is just hitting light over and over. But if he’s blocked it’s almost like he’s stuck on one spot for a million years. 

Also my Teen Gohan is super weak. I only started trying with him again yesterday but I don’t really know what to do with him under pressure. I really hate his 2nd light because if it misses then that’s I’m open city and when I get to the top of his juggle nothing works for me. Also his level 1 super is very situational and not helpful. 

Yeah, I don't use Gohans light much but his down medium is degenerate as fuck so who cares?

You can't play him like most characters.  He's no good in the air so you don't use launchers and keep people at ground level.  He's pretty much Little Mac from Smash.

Actually, you can make a blocked two hit auto combo safer with light chun-li legs but that takes some good block confirming.

@HandsomeDead How do people drop opponents from the top of a juggle in to level 1’s and 3’s from their assists? I’ve seen it in a few videos but can’t work out how to do it myself. 

If what I’m saying doesn’t make sense you can see it in this video a few times. Around the 6/7 minute mark.

I have spent an hour and 10 minutes trying to do a 9 second thing (2:34-2:43) and I just can’t get it to work

I don’t know what is wrong. If I ignore the jLML and just autocombo it instead the dummy can immediately tech out of it at the end of the combo and the j214L never lands no matter what I do. But if I do it like it is on screen without the autocombo the double jump just won’t come out. Even practicing just the juggle part I can’t get the double jump if I throw in a M. I just don’t know why. I’m losing my mind trying to do this shit. That’s even if I get the first part right which in and of it self is so demanding on the timing. 

This is what I was saying the other day. The timing on fighting games is just so different to regular games and it’s really unnecessary. People that can do it will say it’s fine because they can do it and feel good about themselves, but for everyone else it sucks and makes this shit impenetrable. Not saying it has to be super generous. But even here if they opened these windows by an extra fraction of a second they would make the game so much more friendly while still having the player need to learn what to do and what to look for. It’s been such a long time since I’ve tried to play fighting games I forgot they are such pricks.

The hyper fast repetition has scramble egged my brain, dude. 

Grrr I just want to be good at a hard thing one time ever why is it such horseshit? To add insult to injury when I was finding this video I saw another video called “They Made DBFZ Too Easy” ? Get fucked, I guess. 

According to the game I’ve spent 19 hours in training mode and I’m still a loser ?

End rant and sigh

You mean a jump cancel off a medium? Yeah, I'm consistent with them but I learned those from Guilty Gear so it was one of those things that transferred.  It's the jump cancel off a down heavy I fuck up most of the time that is a constant frustration to me.  No matter how much I train it I'm still not as consistent as I think I should be.

No, I can jump cancel pretty Ok (Except in real games lol). I mean after the jump cancel what I’m used to do doing is while in the air L, L, 2H, then jump cancel to continue. But in that video it seems what you are meant to do is L, M, L, 2H then jump. But that M seems to either throw the character’s positioning out or changes something that makes the second jump cancel to continue really, really hard. I managed to do it maybe 3/100 times last night. It’s super rough and I don’t get it. 

Okay, so I've not got UI Goku and I'm having a hard time parsing out the specifics of what's happening.  So I could be wrong again but when you jump cancel off a 2H you have to at least 2 hit auto combo, so it looks like that full section of the air combo is L, M, L, 2Hjc, L, L, H then whatever input that special is?  2H has a big hit box so before you do that it shouldn't matter what you're positioning is.  If you're trying to M after the jump cancel that's your problem.  The first two hits of an auto combo in the air look like L, M but L, L has different properties.  With the auto combo you home in to your opponent a little and makes combo-ing off the 2H possible.

Hopefully something in that post is your problem.

Yeah, so it’s the double jump that’s the problem. I can get up to L, M, L, 2Hjc but the jump won’t come out. After that I’ve tried doing all I can do with jumping and mashing light and it almost never works. Maybe it worked 3 times but I tried a lot and not sure why it’s so tough. Especially because if I just did the 2 lights - no medium - jump comes out every time. Thanks for explaining it to me. I will have more of a play later or tomorrow to see if I can work it out. 

You could modify the combo so it's easier to do for you.  Just turn it into L, L, 2Hjc, L, L, H in that section if you find it more reliable.  You don't have to do the most optimal combos, I mean you've just started playing.  Just do what works.

I’m thinking about rewriting the whole end of the combo to be honest. Got some ideas but need to see if it will work later. 

My aim right now is to get really good meterless or near meterless combos because I want basic stuff I can do all the time. Also going off what you said the other day I want to learn ground stuff as well. Generally speaking I’ve got the air juggling down (Despite sloppy execution but I know I can do that) but the ground game I don’t really understand. It shows when fighting you the other day. My whole game right now is to launch and juggle and I need to be able to do more than that. 

I had to stop playing this tonight because it started to make me feel queasy. I can’t tell if it’s rage induced or not. I hate to be a baby but why won’t it just fucking work.

I tried resetting that video tonight and just working through it from the start. Yuck. In a 9 minute video of combos I started to struggle at 50 seconds. After 20 hours how can someone be this bad at something? 

So stressed and rapidly losing interest in this. Maybe I come back to it in a couple of days but man these fighting games can go jump cancel off a cliff. 

At this point get your arse online.  Learning combos is the long game.  You don't learn pro level combos and then go fight people.  You gave me as hard enough of a time than people I play in ranked who have 100s of matches under their belt.  Fighting others is part of the learning process; it's the most important part.  

You'll fight people with different approaches, you'll fight people who use the same character as you.  My B&B with Gohan I ripped from someone who kicked my arse with him.

Just go online and have fun.  I kicked your arse all around our first fights but you had the correct attitude to try and learn how to beat me.  Take that attitude against randoms.  After our last fight I got the taste again and did some ranked matches.  And one of the people kept rematching me even though I kept beating them because they clearly wanted to learn the match, since I don't use the most usual characters.  And I know the feeling because I've been that guy too, on a number of occasions.  Just hitting rematch against someone until they're sick of me, who is doing cool shit so I can learn how to fight against it.

I've played nearly 2000 ranked matches and won 900 of them.  I'm losing more than half the time but I mostly have fun.  Don't be afraid or overly annoyed at losing.  Some of these people are good, it's okay.

Messing around in training mode can be fun and enlightening but don't get stuck there.  Go and kick some arse and get your arse kicked.  But more importantly, have fun.

I suppose I should try online. I just really want to find characters I know how to use first and especially want to make UI Goku the central part of my team.

Despite the fact easily my best character is Gogeta but he is stupid easy to use. Once he lands one hit you just squaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquare - triangle - squaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquaresquare 

I almost don’t like Gogeta because it’s too easy and feels like a cop out. I noticed when playing you at the end even he was catching you with an overhead a few times. But that wasn’t me playing well that’s just part of his autocombo lol. 

At the same time he was keeping me in the game a lot of the time so I don’t think I’m ready to give him up quite yet. 

I was watching someone play GT Goku and he looks like another kind of awkward character in the sense he doesn’t juggle normal. But I might play around with him next and see what he’s like. He has some cool looking moves. 

Yes! use those characters with overheads in their auto combos. It's evil, I hate it, but it's up to your opponent to respect and learn that.  I've not played against some of these characters enough but I know at least one of them their third auto combo hit is an overhead, but you can cancel the second hit into a 2M that goes low.  Use that shit, it's called a 'mix up'. This what they call 'playing neutral'.

I did it to you all the time with Goku Black's teleport that gives me an instant overhead.  Everyone fights dirty.  Embrace it.

Okay, I'll also say, in the meta, there are ways around it.  Some characters are very projectile based and when you come across a character that has easy mix ups you just keep them away.  I'm just saying, don't feel bad about doing stuff that is perceived cheap.  There are ways around it and don't feel bad because they didn't figure it out.

Managed to get down 2 GT Goku combos. Here is the harder one.

There’s almost layers to learning combos, I think. First there is the 100 attempts to do it once (Like this one). Then there is troubleshooting it. Messing it up after you’ve done it and figuring out why it won’t work now. Then once tou’ve sussed every part of it it is repetition until it’s burned into your thumbs. Currently at step 2 with this ?

The other one (I honestly thought I recorded but guess not) is a lot shorter and does about the same damage but is very crazy. You have to knock them in the air, vanish, miss an attack on purpose just to get close to them, and the catch them in the air with more lights. I did do it a number of times, it’s easier than the above, but the catching in the air is the real problem. It’s not just about timing I think you have to let them fall just a little bit as well. Tough.

I think I like GT Goku so far.