passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon Ball FighterZ

HandsomeDead

Yuck these combo tutorials are really starting to piss me off now. I can’t do the last one for Teen Gohan or Picollo’s at all. The former I just can’t work out how and the latter has too many buttons for me to remember. I can’t look at my character and remember all those buttons and I can’t perform the combo if I can’t look at the character. 

I feel like when I play fighting games it’s very similar to the experience people have when they play that game Getting Over it. The game where they have a hammer and have to get to the top of a mountain but keep falling down. That entire experience is a metaphor for me trying to do combos in fighting games. I push the first two or three buttons and it goes well, for whatever reasons something goes wrong and the buttons stop hitting or moves don’t come out, then I start pressing all the wrong buttons out of order as my character devolves in to a random mess of actions. Like falling all the way down the cliff again

Sigh. It sucks to suck.

I also can’t find another character I really want to play. Just give me 3 UI Goku’s, that’ll do.

For learning combos break them down into two or three parts.  Practise the first half then when you feel you've got it do the second half on its own and when you're comfortable put them together.  I got that from Sajam's YouTube which is great for learning fighting games.

You might get something out of it:

Yeah I do that already. But Gohan’s is tough because the game wants to do 4 Ki blasts from the air, followed by his special downward Ki blast, followed by super dash. It’s really tricky and I can’t work out how to do it.

Piccolo’s is just a lot of buttons. 

I’m really struggling to find a team that I like. 

Oh, I remember that Gohan one.  Some of the combos they make you do aren't good.  I don't think I've even seen pros do it because it's so unreliable.  I never use it, just using one Ki blast before the big one does the job and is much more reliable.  And I never did Picolo's last combo either but I gathered enough to know I'll never play him.  He's too much hard work for below par results.

Don't fret about them, some of those combos are just challenges and not something you'd actually do in a fight because there are better ways to do more damage.

I’m already a loser in real life I’m not playing loser people in video games as well.

Apparently Jiren and Gogeta are really bad in this game but they’re the other 2 I really want to play.

I will check them out later. Can’t imagine at my level good and bad characters really makes a difference. Being able to hit buttons correctly is probably more important 

EDIT: Get the base game @Maryokutai. I’m twice as bad as the regular player so I need double the coaches 

Also @bellow should get it as well I need to practice whooping someone

Just play who you want, @Maf.  Tier lists aren't very relevant to the average player.  

At launch Teen Gohan wasn't considered very good but I used him anyway and he got good after a few updates so it paid off.  Same can happen with any character.

And I only use Android 21 because I refuse to play an anime fighting game without a waifu on my team.  I don't think she's considered that good.

I've only played it a couple of times, but I found Gotenks has a couple of fun combos to throw about. Can't do supers with him or anything, but I managed a couple of nice matches (offline Vs).

I'm up for doing a bit of training then hopping online in the next week or two?

Managed to work out a cool combo with Gogeta that I can do pretty regular. Once he’s got an opponent locked in his auto combo does so much of the work. Just hit square and you take them up and up and up...

His regular hits are kind of hard to land, though. I played the computer on easy and it’s hard to get the combo started with him. Also his special moves are very difficult to do things with. Singularly they’re really flashy and do quite a bit of damage even just used on their own. But using them while trying to do stuff ? Maybe they’re all combo enders?

He suits me because his pretty much a push square guy but I also want to challenge myself and play a character that takes a lot of skill. 

My UI Goku extensions are getting pretty good. I’m still fluffing them sometimes, and I dread to think what it will be like online with input lag and stuff. But at least in training I’m getting them quite consistently. 

Jiren I’ve used a little bit but mostly been focusing on the other two. I will try his combo tutorials tomorrow see if it gives me any ideas on things I can do. 

Wow Jiren sucks ?

I can’t work out how to anything with him. In the combo tutorial it’s a lot of ‘I blasts and super dash and it’s too much for my brain. He’s always switching sides, there are so many buttons, every next input has to be done so fast it’s like inputting it just assuming the last inputs worked. 

I like UI and Gogeta but maybe Jiren isn’t the guy for me 

Man, Jiren is just too hard for me to play. To get his air extensions the buttons are square, square, triangle and then double jump. But it only works after a Ki blast. It’s taken me all day basically to work out why people get 6 punches in the air and I’m only getting 3 and it dawned on me that it’s because they’re putting the double jump in the middle of the 3 hits after a Ki Blast. So if you do the double jump before a Ki blast Jiren jumps above the opponent but after and it works. It’s completely not obvious as doing a Ki blast doesn’t change Jiren’s position, height or anything. So it’s such a weirdly, arbitrary rule in the mechanic that the extension only works after a blast. 

Apparently though this is so basic that when looking at tutorial videos online they didn’t even explain that rule. That’s why it took me so long to realise what was happening because I’ve been sitting here trying to figure it out myself because apparently none of the things I’ve read or watched today deemed that worth pointing out ?

It’s so inconsistent. Even training with the dummy standing still not doing nothing I’m dropping this literally all the time. The problem is the buttons have to be hit so insanely fast I can’t allow myself to think about what I’m pressing. I’m just trying to burn the combo in to my thumb but unlike the other characters that I think I’ve made relative decent understanding and progress this is just so fast. I’ve been working on this one basic combo part for about 2 hours on and off today. 

I know this is obvious but fighting games really do emphasise just how easy every other type of action game takes it on the player. Even games people think of as ‘fast’ like a character action game or something. Other games just don’t demand this amount of exactness either in the timing of the buttons, or the windows in which those buttons will work, or the specificity of the space in which those buttons will do what you want.  

I wonder what a fighting game would be like if it played by the rules of regular games. People always talk about that fighting games are impenetrable and are more for hardcore audiences and I think these are the reasons why. If a fighting game was looser on the precision and compensated for that in other ways like with more moves instead of having a few moves which are all insanely tight I wonder if that would still be fun.

Because Jiren isn’t ?

Down + triangle, triangle, up + forward, square, square, triangle, X, R2, square, square, triangle, X, quarter circle forward + triangle, R1, quarter circle forward + R1 

How hard can it be ?

When I go to sleep tonight I won’t be counting sheep I’ll just be thinking of these god damn buttons. 

Tomorrow I start looking at different combo starters because I don’t think people are going to let me down medium, medium them over and over. 

When starting a combos just bare in mind that there are a few more ways to link things.  A lot of characters have two grounded hits in their auto combo first which can be cancelled into a down medium as long as you're not mashing too much.  Obviously they can still be crouch blocked but it's helpful to know that for interrupting since the light comes out faster.

Jumping in with a heavy is also a simple starter, and mixing people up with over heads so you get your opponent conditioned to not just crouch block all the time.

After giving up on Jiren I went back to Teen Gohan and actually this character is pretty cool. He doesn’t really fit in with my other 2 characters, though. He’s assist can help UI Goku get a bit of a combo extension but the timing is really finicky. I also hit a bunch of random buttons and got a 4000+ damage ground combo with him no assists, meterless and have no idea what I did. 

@HandsomeDead want to play some more over the weekend? I think I’ve gotten a little better. I know what the buttons and stuff do now ? so I should have more of a shot