passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon Ball FighterZ

HandsomeDead

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Man, that GO1 clip is slick.  Some real spacing knowledge. 

So I played DBFZ a bit today, maybe thinking of getting back in since season 3 has started. 

I had no idea until  S3 started that they were gonna change so much stuff to the core game.  Now each character can pick out of three kinds of assist attack at the character select screen.  This should make teams so much more varied now as oftentimes people would pick a certain character for their team just for their assist.  Vegita in early days is a perfect example.  He was on what felt like 90% of teams until they nerfed him. 

It is also making me want to look into it more and make a new team for myself. 

Also, you're last character standing has a 20% damage buff so it makes comebacks more likely and the last character kinda scary even if you think they have the win in the bag. 

EDIT:  Something else they changed I just remembered, and pretty important.  EX versions of special moves (meter costing versions) now just cost half a meter.  I rarely used them before since it was pretty much always more efficient to spend meter on your teleport to extend combos or use a level one super.  Now it will probably worth looking into EX moves since they usually have some unique properties and combo potential and now they're not so costly to use. 

I am pretty impressed with the changes to be honest. 

This was like my fifth game back, so very rusty.  Lots of combos dropped as it was also pretty laggy (ignore the 3 - 5 delay it says, ArcSys's frame counter is a notorious liar. It was probably double that).  Though I tried to do some cool spacing but fucked it and didn't capitalise off it. 

It's me doing my usual Year One shit but I'm gonna try and learn some new stuff.  I may learn new characters but I wanna stick with Teen Gohan as his high level stuff looks cool.  And he's my boy.  I mained him at day one when everyone else thought he sucked. 

But I'm kinda dreading taking it online again.  I had a lot of bad connections with maybe a couple of fights feeling okay.  The day ArcSys put rollback netcode in their fighting games will be a great day indeed. 

Had a bad day with this.  Kept losing to stuff I shouldn't fall for but kept doing so, and got tilted so I would lose even worse later. 

So I guess it's time I properly go to the lab and work on some stuff. 

In my infinite wisdom I've dropped Cooler, a pretty straight forward character for Zamatsu, one that is less so.  He's more of a set-up kind of fighter and not the style I usually play at all.  But I think I have something down with him. 

I also watched some of a recent tournament.  Someone there was using him and I  picked up some tech to work on.

There's a Gohan user here too that I gotta learn from.  I knew some of this stuff but doing it in the heat of battle is another thing altogether for me at the mo.  But it's inspiring stuff.  Stuff to try tomorrow when the salt has gone. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t understand how anyone defends in this game. It feels like the attacker has so many options, all of which are both super fast and difficult to keep up with because of all the effects on screen, and in the tactics people use to trick people in to dropping their defence, add in the built in tricks like Krillin and Gogeta being able to “fake out” opponents with multiple copies of them selves. Maybe it’s easier to read and understand if you play it, but just looking at it’s like how does anybody do this. 

It's really hard to play defensively.  Seeing pros with the patience of a saint while blocking for ages is stressful when you play the game.  I'm terrible at it, I always feel like I'm making the wrong call. 

My biggest weakness I think is those characters that have light, multiple kicks.  I think Gogeta has them, as does the new girl and the active frames seem to stay out forever and it's so hard to punish, and it's easy to get clipped by them and be left open for a full combo. 

The Super Broley is really awful when he has you in the corner because once he does combos including his specials you just can't see shit, and then he calls in assists that cause more visual noise.  I just guess at this point. 

I came from SFV to this and its very clear what is punishable in that game so its easy to know when to counter when playing defensively.  In this I just go by the best form of defense is attack. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve spent the day watching a bunch of UI Goku videos and happy to say that every single video and stream I’ve watched people have been impressed and like the character a lot. For a game I’ve never spent a single penny on or ever played I was weirdly invested in seeing him be done justice and it looks like that has happened. I saw one person say the damage scaling on his attacks aren’t that good, then I saw another guy say that UI Goku has probably the easiest ToD in the game without sparking so I don’t know. But he seems to be fire in nearly every other way.

However. And this is coming from someone who has never touched the game, doesn’t know the first thing about fighting games in general, or whatever, but there are things I wish that were different. This is not me saying “I wish it was like this” to be better this is me saying “I wish it was like this” because I was hoping UI Goku would be completely broken. So the following things are things I wish were different just so he was basically a cheat code.

1) UI Goku has this really awesome and unique ability where if he walks forward he can pass through weak Ki Blasts except for Jiren’s (Because of lore) and it’s sick as shit. What I’m saying is fuck that though and he should just be invincible to weak Ki Blasts all the time. Walking forward, backwards, jumping, dashing, super dashing, whatever. Just absolutely invincible to them. He is also invincible to all beam attacks when flipping which is cool, but I wish he was just invincible always. 

2) UI Goku has been graced with many ridiculous counter moves most of which are great. He has a counter super, when he is knocked down instead of having to tech he can just counter punch (Which is really funny right now because no one seems to have adapted to this yet, so every time he gets knocked down people rush towards him to be ready to keep attacking and BAM right in the face), he has a ridiculous backflip counter which crumples the opponent, he can counter recover in the air, and he can do this 

5b2f8ca6f4c45a2c9e20e4d7ca5f0403186cf29c

This would be the coolest shit ever except in my opinion it’s just too forgiving on the opponent. The opponent has too much time to vanish out of it or if they just keep mashing attack anyway they automatically turn to face Goku and just keep hitting him. I have seen this counter work a bunch, but I’ve also seen it just leave UI Goku super open which I imagine will only be even easier to punish the more people get used to it. Which is a shame because it looks so cool. 

3) The last thing which I wish was different is that his Ki blasts were quicker and stronger. They have quite a wide hit box and he shoots 3 of them but they seem quite slow compared to other characters and I’ve seen other character’s Ki blasts go through Goku’s which I don’t really like. It should just blast though whatever other Ki blast challenges it. 

But apart from those things UI Goku looks super awesome so I’m really happy and had a lot of fun watching all the videos today. Here is one that was uploaded last night and I think the opponent is not very good but you can still see UI Goku do really wild shit which is fun. 

• 5 weeks later...

This might be the best UI Goku and Super Broly I’ve seen yet. Goes to show what a good job the developers did recreating these characters in a fighting game because once they get going you can really see that their in-game combos really reflect what they’re like in the show. UI Goku is slick as fuck and Super Broly is pure ferocity.

• 1 month later...

I finally started playing this the other day and ? why am I so bad at these games?

I went straight to training to learn all the buttons and thankfully it’s all fairly simple. I’ve only played a handful of characters and literally every special move is either quarter circle forward or quarter circle back so fairly easy. Although in one of the combo tutorials it wanted me to do quarter circle back and square. But the only other fighting game I’ve played a good amount of is SF4 and I always did quarter circle R1. Even years later it was so, so hard to break that mental lock in to pressing something else lol. I literally failed this combo 40 times because I would get right to the end and instinctively press the wrong button. 

I’ve broke it, though, and eventually did UI Goku’s best combo in the tutorial section (Not his best combo overall I don’t know what that is). I think the inputs were

down down X, triangle + circle, R2, square, square, down + circle, up + forward, square, square, quarter circle back + square. 

Must of took me 20 minutes ?

But I started to get the hang of it and was like Ok. Let’s turn the training dummy to CPU and bwaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh Just got thrashed. Like I don’t even know what’s happening. Can’t react to anything. Don’t know how to defend against anything.mDon’t know what to fucking do. Turn it back to training dummy. 

Today I’ve started to learn about combo extensions from a video I was watching. Um. It seems simple. It’s just hard keeping in mind if I have a double jump or smash property left. I’m also not sure if smash property and super dash are the same thing in the respect of combo extensions. They look the same. 

Also not sure how to maximise combos from anything other than low medium in to medium. I think if the auto combo is used chasing down with circle is not an option. But I also might suck at it and am not doing it properly so I don’t know. 

Short story is it’s very challenging and I’m very slow. Embarrassingly slow. It’s always been my problem with fighting games is I mentally can’t keep up with the ever changing situations. What to do and what not to do changes every second and while it’s getting away from me I’m thinking about what happened before. I don’t know if I can overcome this. Even against the CPU on medium it’s just a wash. 

I will will keep playing it because I like it. I should, fingers crossed, at least be able to finish the story (Which is fucking terrible btw). But I’m a million years away from anything that couldn’t be labelled as humiliating. 

Doesn’t matter how gassed up I get from other games fighting games never fail to remind me I’m a pleb

So, @Maf.  First that'll help you a lot is hold down an attack button when you're being combo'd.  It means you'll recover as soon it's possible as I was dropping combos like a mother fucker and I was still able to keep you in them because you weren't popping out of them when you could have.  You can tell it's happening when the combo counter turns blue.

And don't think I have advice for your combos as you have them but execution is just practise.   But learn what I was doing to you with Teen Gohan since we both use him.  It's a solid bread and butter combo.

Your defense is generally pretty strong but I'm not very good at pressure so you'll get experience from that elsewhere, but you know what you're doing.  Just wait 'til a Super Broly user gets you in the corner.  That'll be the lesson.

You mix up your approach enough so that's good too, never rely on just one, obviously.

You should be confident enough to go online against randoms and get experience against other characters.

But I enjoyed our matches.  I still don't think I'm used to UI Goku, our match was the first time I'd played against him I think and struggle to follow him.  He's all over the place!  And I need to work on my Android 21 combos as I was constantly fucking them up!  As well as my assist combos.

And I'm rusty as fuck with Cooler.  I may drop him if I get another character pack as I'm not as confident with him as I used to be.

Oh, and I did hit the share button at one point.  And one of them, Maf did win!

Haha. Thanks for the proof of my win (I actually had 3 wins but he recorded the good one!) 

I really don’t know how to do basic stuff. Even using supers in combos I can’t get down. When I was using them at the end they wasn’t working, sometimes I tried using them in the middle they wasn’t working, and then very rarely they landed but I’m unsure of what the difference was. Is it just doing the input as soon as the hit before lands? I don’t know how it works.

You’re right that I don’t understand how to tech defensively, either. I did that tutorial but didn’t really understand it. I started to get to mash circle at the end of our games but even then it wasn’t enough.

Your combos are great as well. So many times I just stopped pressing buttons because I was like well. There goes half a health bar. Most of my combos (In fact pretty much all of them) were just auto combos. I’ve been in the training room and practiced some but they did not work at all online. 

Leading on from that I can not work out how to extend UI Goku’s combos with assists. I’ve seen it done but it’s going to take a lot more research to figure out who works best, why they work best and then how to do it. I think even if I had better understanding of combos I would maybe have won a few more games. As it stands I just couldn’t do anything nearly as damaging as what your team could do, and even the things I can do were incredibly inconsistent. 

The one thing I couldn’t figure out is how you do the overhead? Your characters would do small jumps and then come down with the overhead and I tried messing around and doing the same and it never worked. 

I could go on and on about what I don’t understand, really. But I think my main priority is learn how to do supers in combos, get more familiar with assists, and keep experimenting with characters and see who I like. UI Goku is my absolute main no doubt. But I don’t like Teen Gohan as much as I want to and I threw Vegeta on their randomly because I didn’t know who to pick. He performed surprisingly well considering that was the first time I’ve played him.

That was super fucking fun, though. I definitely can’t wait to get better and come at you again :) next time won’t be so easy (Might still be easy but less so...)

To combo supers it's just a case of doing them quickly.  There's not much timing stuff in DBFZ until super advanced combos that most people don't do.  It's just practise, I don't really know what else to say about that.  Maybe do them sooner than you intuitively would think, and think of it like you're queueing them up rather than reacting.

As for assists anyone with a beam assist is good for when you're starting off.  They stay on screen a while and are easier to combo off.  They provide could cover and pressure.  They're just really reliable.

And the overhead is just forward and medium.  Everyone has it.