passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Monster Hunter World

DisturbedSwan

They put a couple of new monsters in the game and despite saying I was mostly done with it I'm back pretty heavily again.  Not really because of the monsters, they're fine, but I got myself some new goals. 

I was struggling to get the materials I need to get into the high level endgame but they did an event that had a decent amount of them as a reward so I'm levelling my armour beyond the soft cap. 

Levelling weapons beyond it is more of a problem as I need to fight Tempered Kushala Daora to upgrade a number of them the way I'd like.  This monster was one of my favourites to fight in vanilla MHW but I'm sure the master rank version is busted. 

Before it was easy enough, just keeping it grounded with flash bugs but they've been nerfed for Iceborne and the clutch claw just isn't as useful against this because of its wind abilities. And it seems like it does more area attacks than before. 

It's like when they made the new subspecies of Elder Dragons they balanced the fights with the new mechanics but this is just a more aggressive version of the old monster and I'm sure it's off.  Its just not that fun. 

So now I just plan to tank it.

I learned the Bow as well, and I think I'm... okay with it? So I've also started learning the Charge Blade.  Probably the most complex weapon that I've wanted to learn for ages but kept putting it off.  I feel so stupid for that.  It's so much fun now I've clicked with it.  The biggest problem is idiots with Long Swords who wave that thing around with no regards to who's around them, not the Monsters themselves. 

Other weapons I've used I tend to avoid them but the nature of the Charge Blade means I'm close to the enemy doing my combos to get the two parts of the weapon charged and I so often get staggered if there is a Long Sword user around.  It's particularly annoying to me as some who started with that weapon too and learned pretty early how to space your attacks correctly.  Knocking people out of their attacks obviously means you do a lot less damage as a team and these people aren't new.  They're at a level which shows they've put hundreds of hours in.  Crazy. 

Anyway, had to rant.   But despite that the Charge Blade is awesome. 

• 4 weeks later...

They've put in the first Arch-Tempered master rank monster.  I wasn't playing the game when they added them to Vanilla so I only fought them with master rank gear so I was kinda OP.  But they still did a bit of damage so I've been worried about this.  Turns out it's not too bad.  It's Namielle which I find to be the easiest Elder Dragon despite its duel element properties so maybe that has something to do with it. 

I've also been learning the Gunlance which I've picked up quite easily since learning the Charge Blade since I think they require a similar approach.  I think I'm gonna try and learn the Hunting Horn next so I'll have most of the awkward weapons learned. 

• 8 months later...

Oops, I only went and installed this on the XSS.  I just can't help myself.

It is a great way to play it due to the much, much shorter loading times and higher frame rate without even needing a proper update since it did have an unlocked frame rate before so even on the Series S it just brute forces it's way up to something near 60fps.  I don't have the best eye for this stuff but it is silky smooth.

It really is a swift experience now, I did most of the early part of the game in one sitting that took a few sessions originally for me.  Part because I can plan ahead because I know what's coming and part because the loading times are like... eight times quicker? I dunno, but it's astonishing after playing it on PS4 so much.

But there aren't as many people playing it.  I know I'm early where most who play it now are gonna be on Iceborne content but I also remember that 60 - 70% of the people I match with are from Japan and I can't see that player base being here, unfortunately.  And the couple of times I have matched with people the don't give the thumbs up after a successful hunt... smh

• 1 month later...

It's only taken me since release and playing across two platforms, but I finally finished the base game.

I'm probably going to carry on playing here and there, there's so much to do, I don't even own Iceborne yet and I feel I could put anywhere between 50 and 100 hours with what's left. There's some monsters I've not even fought properly yet, so those will get done at some point as well.

I think I hit the cap in HR that requires an urgent quest to progress out of.

I managed to go the whole game without a faint until Kushala as well, usually you have one here and there where you get caught out, but I managed to do pretty well all things considering. I got trapped against the wall and once my stamina run out I got dive bombed. Out of the final 4 Vaal Hazak probably caused me the most issue, I got cursed too much. I feel it's just one of those monsters that sucks to lance against, I felt like this with a few monsters, that it'd just be easier if I was using another weapon against them.

Really interesting reading the thread through. Especially @Nag's turn around on the game.

I know the first mission fighting them is when you need to beat two tempered bazelguesses but other than them eventually turning up in missions I'm sure you also get investigations for them sometimes off tracks.  They just get easier to find the more you fight them.

I did the Bazelgeuse (bazelgeese?) one, it was a pretty rough fight as I've never even fought them up until that one, aside from when they show up and interrupt.

I need to go do all the optional quests, I'm still drowning in them. This is a huge game, I know other MH games are the same, but it always surprises me how much there is to do in the post game.

I just figured out that you can continue to get ingredients for the canteen from the search points. No wonder it's really hard to get in a lobby where the kitchen is fully stocked, I don't think the game ever really teaches this.

• 3 months later...

Finally gave this a go. Only played a couple of hours. There’s lots I’m liking -all the OTT animations and camera cuts for daft stuff like having a meal and using the Smyth are brilliant. 
Im liking the environmental design and there’s been some really cool moments already. During the opening the scale of the T Rex looking monster fighting another was impressive. I’ve also had a fight with a big yellow thing which ate another monster before I got to it and then puked it back out while I was slashing its stomach. Love that type of stuff. 

But I’m not actually enjoying it at the moment. There’s just a very overwhelming amount of menus, icons and text boxes. I don’t really know what I’m actually doing or what anything means. Plus it feels a bit button mashy but I’m guessing that’s also because I don’t really understand anything at the minute and feel lost. To make it worse the recent mission ive been given is to find a camp and I have literally no idea where to even begin looking? 

Is there a good recommended video or article anyone know if I can use that’s good for beginners? Ive done a google and found a couple but they’ve been useless so far. 

I think at the start you can look at the map and tick the numbers off as you go along. Some areas of the map will be completely shuttered to you until you get further into the game, so go around the edges of all the maps and look for holes or crevasses you can nip though, this is where your camp will be hidden.

As for combat, don't button mash. There's a training dummy in your room back at base. Talk to the cat and you'll get an option to go and beat on the wooden dummy. Depending on what weapon you have picked, you'll be able to see what moves do what, as well as how they move you about and how you can link them together. There's some really interesting stuff with evade windows and guard points I think you'd find interesting.

Finally, the numbers stuff. Don't feel bad for being overwhelmed, it's still ridiculous and although MHW simplified it a lot, it's still super unwieldy.

My advice would be to go out on expeditions, have a fuck about, collect as many tracks as you can and play with a few different weapons to find the right one for you. You could do some of the bounties as well, those are in the main area as you go in. Look for a woman wearing blue.

Also don't forget to cash in the tracks, there's a guy sat on a pile of books on the left, the more tracks you pick up and the higher you get your level with the scoutflies, the less hassle you'll have later on in the game.

Put a bit more time in and starting to understand it a bit more. I’ve been going on expeditions and just collecting everything I see and done a few more missions. It’s started opening up more options in the Smithy and crafting areas too. All the question marks are showing actual materials now. Guess it’s one of those games which shows you that type of stuff after you’ve picked it up. 

Caught my first monster which I didn’t realise was a thing in these games. Haven’t got the materials to make my own traps yet though. Need to explore more. 

Found a couple of weapons I like, the twin blades and the long thin sword. Sticking with the sword for now just because it does more damage & I don’t understand the rage system with the blades. Still feels mashy though even though I tried it in training. There’s only 4-5 combos and it’s usually just as easy to revert to Y 4 times or RT 4 times. Works just as well in my experience so far. I’d appreciate it if it let me target specific parts on a enemy too. But then again can barely tell any difference when I do break something off a monster, doesn’t seem to stop their abilities or movement? 

6 hours ago, mfnick said:

Haven’t got the materials to make my own traps yet though.

Get trap tools from the vendors. Thunderbugs and a trap tool make a shock trap. For a pitfall trap you need to combine ivy and spider webs to make a net, then combine the net with the trap tool.

6 hours ago, mfnick said:

But then again can barely tell any difference when I do break something off a monster, doesn’t seem to stop their abilities or movement?

Yes and no.

I'm going to use Rathian as an example, because it's the one you'll fight most. It's supper common to spawn and also her armour and weapons are desirable. 

If you cut her tail it reduces the hitbox on tail spins and backflips. Also the backflip no longer poisons since there's no barbs to hit you. Don't forget to carve the tail.

If you break her head, it stops her from shooting fireballs.

If you break her wings it stops her flying about as much.

HOWEVER! Some of these can be negated if the monster goes into rages. For example she can still fly and breathe fire while she is raging, but when she is not those actions will fail.

Also breaks will see your rewards at the end of a hunt alter. Flame sacs from the head, spikes from the wings and plates from the tail. Each monster has a drop table for killing and capturing, and breaks augment these tables.

4 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

Thunderbugs and a trap tool make a shock trap.

Yea I’ve not found any Thunderbugs yet turns out the crafting stuff it tells you what’s missing it’s the smithy that doesn’t mainly. 

I have actually had a couple of monsters since where the tail has come off so it’s stopped that ability they had. Still would like to be able to do a bit more, like chop off legs and whatnot. Suppose that would make it too easy though at that point. 

Just reached the area passed the Ravine after that big battle. It’s strange. I’m definitely feeling a compulsion to play it and keep going but not sure why. Don’t know if I’m actually enjoying it. But I’m liking just switching off and exploring the land, killing stuff and collecting shit. 

2 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Yea I’ve not found any Thunderbugs yet

In the forest area they're in the upper right where it's all inside the tree. Bright yellow, you can't miss them.

Make sure you keep picking up the sleep herb and the parashroom as well, you're going to be potentially using a lot of tranq bombs if you go down the capturing route.

@MafXbox. Just found out it’s leaving game pass at end of the month. FFS. It’s only £10 but maybe that’s what’s telling me I’m not really enjoying it that much because I’m hesitant to buy it even at that. We’ll see. May end up taking the plunge before the months out. 

Thanks @Sly Reflex