passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Monster Hunter World

DisturbedSwan

Devil Joe is out now.  He's an idiot who I shitpost about

You get him by finding him during an exhibition.  I think he can be in any of the areas, just check what monsters are in the area from the map screen.  If one is a question mark then that's him.

He's not a problem but then I'm well kitted out but I can see a tempered version being a problem if there is one.

They have an event fighting a Tempered Deviljho at the moment.  I've only fought it a couple of times so I don't know for sure where it lands in terms of difficulty but I can see it being Kirin level annoying, but it is a bit more fun to fight so maybe it's more like Nergigante, which I came round to after fighting it a dozen times.

Since it does do Dragon element attacks I've gone back and crafted a load of armour that has a resistance to it since I never did before since it wasn't required.  I think the last Elder Dragon, Xeno'jiiva may do Dragon attacks as well but I'm not sure, it wasn't essential.  But Joe definitely does.

I think I'm gonna have to be properly equipped.  I think Black Diablos gear is key, mixed with some Bazelgeuse.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been messing around with the Sword and Shield tonight and I think I may have found my new weapon of choice.  It's so versatile, I love it.  It is a Jack of All Trades, Master of None but when you are teamed up with randoms who sometimes do God knows what it's nice to be able to change your strategy without feeling like you're not getting the best out of your weapon.

And there is a Spring Festival on at the moment.  Most things are half price and there is a new armour set up, which is cool but seems like it's tuned for gathering.  They also have all the events they have done in the past available, including that Tempered Deviljho one... I will get that bastard.

I'm HR97 as well.  Getting there to unlock that last mission at 100.

I've played nearly 250 hours to get that.  Bumped in a rando at over HR500 once.  They must have had it surgically attached to them since launch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I downloaded the new demo of this cause it's on sale on PSN but I want to know if l will like it first before throwing money at it. Also I need something to break up the grinding stuff I'm doing in Dragons Dogma at the minute

First impression is that it has a very sort of overly aggressive blown out visual style, the lighting in this game is like bleach. It kills visibility of details in a game which seems like it's full of stuff to see. It is worse with HDR on which I put down to my TV having a basic HDR but then I saw on digital foundry that the games visuals are just kind of fucked up like that.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-monster-hunter-world-face-off

But I have it with HDR off now and it's a bit better, but I have it ran around a bit and haven't dived in proper. I avoided this game at release cause it looked like it has loads of gathering of materials for gear (a thing that's pushing me away from Dogma's DLC right now). But with a free trial I guess I can see what it's like and if it's a thing I could dig.

So maybe this is a thing I could like but my track record with Monhun is not good, I hate the grind in those old games. But let's see I guess ?

You do gather stuff but I never found it overly reliant and leaning into tedium. You kinda just pick up bits as you're wandering around mostly. Any specific bits you can put in a tracker which @Sly Reflex showed me. 

It's a fun game. Cuts out a lot of the trappings of modern games. You're literally just running around fighting monsters and crafting better gear from their bits.

I'm just wary of what this looks like. I did a quest which returned lots of doodads and upgrade materials and apparently I can group up online for quests.

The whole thing feels a bit MMO for me. Like my future with this game could involve lots of sitting around in matchmaking lobbies waiting for a group to do a quest to get the next doodad I need for the next sword or whatever

I'm just burnt out on that kind of game I think. I already adjusted to it in FFXIV and that's sitting there should I ever want to return to it. Just not sure I'm up for doing that whole gameplay loop with another game. It's all a bit progress quest for me.

It's not like that @one-armed dwarf. You don't really need anyone as Sly says. It's just more fun and maybe slightly easier. Maybe. Gathering of materials is quicker than your standard MMO fest. Beat the beast then load up and beat one again. If you don't have a 'hunt' then join someone else's game and beat it together. Very little coordination, so you don't need to talk to anyone.

Go get Maf and get involved.

It's just it sounds like a gear treadmill game. Not that there's anything inherently bad with that, it's just I've had my fill of that particular gameplay loop with XIV. That game killed my appetite for that kind of progression.

This is also why I avoided it at release and got this trial version instead of buying the discounted game.

It's more direct I'd say. It's nothing like the sort of mundanity you can get in your typical looter say. But it is about the gear.

You craft different sets for what your facing. So like the top monster is weak to lightning and deals fire damage. So you'll look at what gear you can craft with the beasties you've uncovered and go kill them to prepare for the top guy. Add some stuff in because it's a higher tier or looks cool. There's your grind. 

Each fight can be like 5-20 minutes long. It's not some long winded process or mundane material gathering. Not for me anyway. It's more heavy on the action and even the rare beast parts drop frequent enough that you don't get mega frustrated. 

Going from what you've said I wouldn't bother with it. If you don't like grinding and material collecting you will not like Monster Hunter, and despite what the guys are saying about not needing to play it with people, you 100% do - it's boring as fuck solo. The story is a drawn out tutorial forcing a narrative where it isn't needed. And the fact that you haven't had good experiences with previous MH games means you'll likely have the same experiences here. MHW plays better, but it's the same game. 

The combat is fantastic, and if you like Dark Souls/Bloodborne you'll get a kick out of it for sure. The big hunts are elaborate boss battles where you need to learn patterns and weaknesses, it's great, but you'll hunt the same thing again and again and again trying to find a rare material to finish your armour set, only to move on to the next harder monster and repeat the process. 

The game is 100% grind, so if t's not for you it's not for you, and that's ok. 

It's definitely better with friends. That's the same with any looter type game. I play a lot on my own though because I enjoy certain ones, so that will depend on you personally. 

I've not played FFXIV so I can't accurately say what level of grind it asks players, but out of similar stuff I've played MHW plays different. I grind a lot on Destiny and enjoyed the change of pace this game had. 

You'll enjoy the combat tho, yeah. Playing the souls made reading and avoiding the attacks here pretty easy stuff, and the evasion windows are quite forgiving. 

Thanks riksp, I can see and read well enough that it's probably very good. But it's just when you burnout on a particular kind of game it's just not easy to get on board with again

Games like these just ask you to commit a lot, particularly when it comes to playing your role in groups and keeping abreast of gear requirements. I could probably get back into FFXIV cause I feel like I've done the legwork there already but even so I always unsub to that game when it gets to being a gear treadmill. It's just a kind of miserable gaming for me at this point, all those pleasure receptors that used to get fired up for this type of progression have been just worn away. Can't get hype for a +5 mystic axe or whatever like before.

As an aside the souls games have my favourite upgrade and crafting system in games cause every weapon is viable and upgrades are so easy.

I'll probably plug away at this demo for a day or two just to see anyway