passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sea of Thieves

DisturbedSwan

You need to understand how sails work, you're going to take forever to get anywhere if you don't angle the sails right.

We're, me and @Hendo, are aiming to get on next Wednesday and do the Tall Tales stuff. We just did random treasure hunting and bounties tonight, but I'm thinking we should all agree to get on at a set time and rattle one of these Tall Tales out per week or something? Looking at an hour or so. The payout isn't large, but you'l get commendations and cosmetic gears to deck the ship and pirates out with.

Had a decent 2 hour session on this with Sly.

Did a quest for the mysterious stranger. Had to go back on ourselves as I didn’t realise there were two things in one of the chests that we needed, so went back to where I dumped the chest to pick it back up.

Even on the lowly original Xbox One, it does look lovely. The sea especially looks awesome.

• 2 months later...

I've been playing this with some friends for the last few evenings. There's a gentle learning curve but we all have a good idea what's going on now. Have to say, it's the most fun i've had with a game for a long time. Some real laugh out loud moments, mainly due to our own ineptitude. But when everything comes together and you're all coordinated it's absolutely sublime.

Definitely worth the £1 i paid for Gamepass!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

I'm not sure I'd describe it as innovative mind 

I disagree. I think the way the questing works, the way you can either attack or befriend other crews and the lack of hand holding in making you learn the tools you've got and use them effectively in such a colourful, vibrant world are real innovations that many other games could learn from. I also think the music and sense of camaraderie is something that no other game has nailed quite as much as this, I've said before but the joy of being on the open sea, sailing along with your fellow crew-mates all jollily playing a shanty together is still unmatched to this day. It has such a fantastic sense of purpose and place, there's nothing in the game that takes you out of its world, it fully immerses you in its Piratey paradise.

There's still nothing else out there quite like it.

• 1 year later...

There's no easy way to do this....bump!

So I went back to the recently out of curiosity just to see what has changed and yeah, jesus fucking christ. 

I don't think I've ever been so bewildered by something I once had a handle of. There's just so much new stuff pretty much everywhere that I'm not familiar with at all. The menus all look super professional now, there's Pets, there's a Pirate pass (similar to the Fortnite Battle Pass) and all sorts of bits and pieces you can buy for your Piratey protagonist and Ship. There's new factions you can do missions for, new bits in their respective shops and something called an 'emissary' tag which I bought but am not sure what it does exactly. Everything feels much more professional now, much more 'Destiny' in terms of presentation (if that makes sense) compared to the bare bones nature of the OG release 3(?) years ago.

I'm all on my todd and didn't fancy going around on my own in a Sloop so decided to partner up with some randoms on a Galleon with mixed success, the first few times the other people either quit or just ran off on their own, after awhile of trying I finally managed to get a crew that wanted to do quests and shit which is good. Quests are so different now though, split into Voyages and Tall Tales, the latter is like a more long winded voyage that has numerous checkpoints along the way. 

One of the Tall Tales I did was into this island that had all this fire traps, pitfalls and required a decent amount of platforming in order to get through, along with a load of skeleton traps and pulleys you had to use to try to get your other shipmates out of said skeleton traps, it was all confusing and my teammates ran off from me once I died (which obviously isn't ideal) so I got lost and we didn't end up getting the treasure at the end, but yeah, was still fun. The other I did was one of the new Pirate's Life missions involving a certain Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean films, seeing Jack and other famous ships like the Flying Dutchman which was rather cool. 

I don't know what the end goal is now though, there's like 3 different types of currencies on the top right of profile page but I assume the big goal is still to reach Pirate Legend? But I'm not sure. 

But yeah, it's still fun, just much more professional, loads of QoL improvements, lots more variety in quest types, factions etc. And a lot more stuff to do whilst on your way to a island in a Quest. I just wish I had more time to get more into it, feels like I'm barely scratching the surface.

Pics:

019F23DD-8E43-4B03-A773-E3D28D6B7790.png

327635BB-05A8-4056-8828-066F9F749E3F.png

11E992D5-B4A8-485B-8745-DB51DECB2556.png