passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Slay The Spire

Duck

Finished my first run. Got killed by the boss, very close though.

I’ve been playing on handheld. I did intend on using touch screen controls but the normal controls work so well that I’ve just stuck with that.

I made one mistake a few fights in, though it taught me something at least. I picked up a card that blocked 30 damage which I thought sounded great. So I used it, even though I had a cheaper smaller block card, expecting it to carry over into the next turn, but nope. Any effect I would imagine is burned off on the next turn, unless it specifically says it lasts the whole fight.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to understand from the off. Granted I’ve watched the odd video on it, but if you don’t play a lot of card battling games, you expect to walk into a wall of menus and tutorials. This is 3 quick tips at the beginning and off you go.

Glad I bought it so far!

I had no choice at the beginning.

I presume it’s the same on PC, there’s only one available at the start, then completing a run with that character gave me the second. And then doing a run with that will give me the third.

Any preferences of which character is the best?

Also I have a question - some cards have X instead of a number for energy but I’m really not sure what that means?

41 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Also I have a question - some cards have X instead of a number for energy but I’m really not sure what that means?

X is equal to the amount of energy you have left when you use the card. 

For example, there's a card called whirlwind that costs X to play. It deals five damage to all enemies X times, so providing your on the starting energy of three, you'd do 15 if played before playing anything else, yet that would use all your mana up.

I managed to upgrade that card once so it did 7 damage, and had an energy buff that meant I had nine at the start of the turn, so it did 63 damage to all enemies on screen.

In regards to starting class, I like them all, they all have their own play style which can be exploited. 

Steam tells me I just hit the 250 hour mark on this. I'm determined to get all the characters to Ascension level 10 (when you beat it, you unlock the next ascension level which adds a difficulty modifier).

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

What are we looking at in terms of permanent upgrades and stuff that carries over?

You don't really get upgrades, you just unlock new cards and relics that you might find in the next run. I think one of the relics you unlock for the Silent let's you apply an additional poison every time you add it to an enemy. 

Got to the boss with the 2nd character. A different boss this time but also got kicked into next week.

I should probably start paying attention to the trinkets or whatever they’re called and the potions you can drink.

Started a third run, so trying the third character. This one seems to be a lot of fun with the lightning and all that.

One of the mystery things let me level up a card and now I’m resting and have decided to level up a card again. I’m not seeing the one I upgraded, so I’m guessing you can only upgrade a card the once?

That slime boss is a bit of a cunt, isn’t he?

Fucking up my cards and splitting up into several new enemies.

Before I even read the text that he would split up, I’ve seen enough slime bosses to expect exactly that, so it wasn’t a surprise. It was a mother fucker, though, to randomly slime several of my cards and make them useless.

I did destroy him and his kin though.

Onto the next floor!

I feel like people calling it a card/deck building game might put some people off that would enjoy it. It’s way better to think of it a normal turn-based RPG, just without the aimless wandering and your attacks, blocks, buffs and de-buffs are from a pool of cards you’ve found and bought, rather than a menu of static moves.

9 hours ago, Hendo said:

That slime boss is a bit of a cunt, isn’t he?

Fucking up my cards and splitting up into several new enemies.

Before I even read the text that he would split up, I’ve seen enough slime bosses to expect exactly that, so it wasn’t a surprise. It was a mother fucker, though, to randomly slime several of my cards and make them useless.

I did destroy him and his kin though.

Onto the next floor!

I feel like people calling it a card/deck building game might put some people off that would enjoy it. It’s way better to think of it a normal turn-based RPG, just without the aimless wandering and your attacks, blocks, buffs and de-buffs are from a pool of cards you’ve found and bought, rather than a menu of static moves.

The Slimes go into a 'thinking' turn and split as soon as their health points hit the half way point. With the big slime you want to do as much damage as possible in the opening two rounds to avoid is big attack.

With card upgrades, I think there's only one that can be upgraded more than once (and it's not really worth doing). 

Relics can make or break a good run, if you get a few that synch together well with your cards, you'll breeze through it.

A few I always go for:

The Anchor - start each fight with 10 block.

The Helix - negate the first damage you receive in a fight.

Anything with a strength/poison/focus buff depending on character.

There's also an encounter where you can read purple book - always do it if you can (it'll take about 20 hit points). You get a permanent curse card, but the relics you get are always stupidly powerful.

Went into a "?" area and every option available I was gonna lose 8hp. Do you want a potion? You'll lose 8 hp. More gold? Lose hp.

Even just leaving will lose 8 hp. 

So I chose more gold and then didn't automatically exit! So I had to lose another 8 hp just to get out of there. What a swizz!

Finished my 3rd run with the 3rd class. Got to the main boss on the 2nd set of levels, with less than half health.

I very nearly beat him, would've done if I had better health.

I have to say that class seems more powerful with the lightning and stuff, so you can always have at least some attacks on the go.

@HendoI don't want to tell you how to play because it's a fun game to 'learn' But how are playing this, especially the early game? Are you always avoiding elites? Always going to '?' places? Etc

Not necessarily avoiding elites, but I do prefer to go to "?" places. 

I'm happily going through like Darkest Dungeon, thoroughly expecting to get shafted at every turn.

Any tips you can give are gratefully received!

I forgot to reply to this. :( I had a chat with @Whiskey_chaser about it and I think we play quite similar, in the that we okay pretty high risk in Act1 to try and get a build thats powerful quickly.

Fangamer have released some Slay merch.. Even the free sticker is good. 

That's actually a pretty cool t-shirt!

Yeah, i'm all about getting as many relics as possible in the first act. Having a rough run with the Silent at the moment, rarely making it passed Act 2. Every time I get a good build together something splits it's weakness in two. Determined to get him up to Ascension 10 though.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been playing some of the new character and am still trying to get my head around it. Easily the most difficult character to play (only managed to get to act 2 one time). Most of the other characters seem to have two things to juggle: Ironclad has strength and block, Silent has poison and shivs, Defect has orbs and zero cost cards, but the Monk seems to have loads. You have Stances - enter rage to get double damage BUT take double damage and Calm where you get extra 'mana'. Various cards are effected by the stance you're in. You have divinity, where if you get ten you get triple damage until the end of the turn, and then there's numerous cards which when played shuffle an expendable 'uber powerful' one shot card in your deck.

There's also the 'retain' mechanic, where certain cards get stay in your hand and get more powerful if you don't use them, and miracle cards. One shot cards that give you an extra mana point (the Monk starts with one every combat).

So yeah, it's pretty tough. Requires a lot more thought than the other characters.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting into the swing of this with the new character now. She can cause massive amounts of damage if played right, but as usual, there's normally an enemy in the third floor that will rip any weakness apart. I managed to beat the game with a deck that essentially did 50+ damage with standard strikes on the second or third turn. One card set vulnerable for 50% extra damage, got +11 strength from a two card combo and then wraith on top of that (which doubles damage).

• 1 year later...