passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Slay The Spire

Duck

It's been 15 hrs and numerous runs, but I've finally killed the floor 50 boss (for the first time).

I seem to get on pretty well using The Defect character, churning through the orbs for attack and block 'bonuses' and every so often unleashing massive damage with a Thunderstrike (8 damage per lightening orb created) - so on my last hits on the boss I did 3 Thunderstrikes for 88 damage each (the first one a 'double strike', as I'd already used a card that meant my first card per round was used twice).

So new character unlocked, much more to come!

Currently at Floor 49 using an Ironclad build - in which I've got a card that allows me to zero skill card costs, one that allows me to carry forward unused block, a relic that stacks unused energy, and several high power block & attack cards, in a relatively small deck size, so cards churn quite quickly.

So, if I get the right sequence I've been pretty unstoppable so far.....

So that'll be me getting flattened on Floor 50.

Oh FFS !!!!!!

So I'm fighting this Lv 50 wolf boss that has 2x 300 hits, as an unawakened then awakened state, and I've got it down to its final 50 HPs, with only about a dozen remaining myself, but with attacks in the bank, and it's the start of my turn, so this thing is definitely going down.

And then I drop the controller - and then hit the triangle button to 'end turn' as I go to grab it - and that's it, turn passed, no attacks made, energy banked, and it kills me - and autosave means the run is over.

2.5 hrs on the run, and I'd had it there ready to slay - all wasted.

And the further kick in the balls is that I was only playing because I'd gone to go out for a food shop only to find the car has a flat battery.

Oh come on universe, give a guy a break !!!!!

I know it's not LotR but somedays you just couldn't make this shit up.

Probably 50/50 between the context and my weird 'knowledge' of D:Ream songs.

Anyway, moving on, I'm back on the wagon, and I've now got an Ironclad just entering Act 3, with a bunch of high damage cards, but not too much block - so not telling as confident this time around.

As I suspected, that Ironclad run ended on Floor 41, taken down by a Giant Head, due to my lack of decent block options 

Onwards, and I've only had 2 attempts with The Watcher, and on the 2nd I beat the Floor 50 boss, so felt pretty good doing that (in so much that I think I learning the importance of card stacking combos).

Great game, now living the d:ream !

Felt a bit robbed of victory this morning, using The Silent on Floor 50 against the Time Eater.

My build was based on poison and using the wraith card to avoid damage - which was working a treat, until my wraith wore off, but I knew that my remaining draw pile of 8 cards had 3 more wraith cards in it.

All I had to do was survive 1 more round and the poison build up on the boss would take care of the rest.

So, of course, I drew my 5 cards, and no wraith cards......

And now the good times (funny how my posts for this game alternate between joy & despair).

Defeated the Floor 50 boss with the Ironclad, so I've just the Silent run to complete to unlock whatever comes next.

Looking at the stats I've had 25 runs, with 3 victories (Floor 50 boss defeated), 333/370 cards discovered, 24/36 cards unlocked, 134/178 relics discovered, 6/24 relics unlocked, over 31 hrs - and that time has flown by, with many more ahead.

Here's something, two great runs on the bounce !!

So I went for the Silent, since I'd not cleared Floor 50 with it, and had my quickest victory run to date, 1 hr 13 mins (all the others were nearer 2 hrs).

I went full on poison build, to the point I actually felt a bit too OP with the build I'd created, especially when dealing 156 pts of poison damage to the Act 2 boss.

I went into the Act 3 boss fight with 2 bottled fairy potions (resurrect) so felt pretty confident, and it was all rather straightforward (poison numerous times, then use the Catalyst to triple poison damage).

So now I'll await what lies beyond Floor 50.

I'm now on Floor 47, with another Silent poison built and ....

Spoiler

all 3 keys to go beyond, if I beat the Floor 50 boss

No idea what'll come next, or even if I'll get there, I can do a massive amount of poison damage (I managed to get a previous boss up to 210 poison), but my block is quite low, and only 1 wraith, so I suppose it's just how the cards fall.

34 minutes ago, shinymcshine said:

I'm now on Floor 47, with another Silent poison built and ....

Hide contents

all 3 keys to go beyond, if I beat the Floor 50 boss

No idea what'll come next, or even if I'll get there, I can do a massive amount of poison damage (I managed to get a previous boss up to 210 poison), but my block is quite low, and only 1 wraith, so I suppose it's just how the cards fall.

What's been your favourite character to play so far?

I've liked the Silent, now with poison build, whereas I'd tried previously (unsuccessfully) a shiv / micro damage build, that didn't really work out.

The Defect and the Watcher have both been a fun mechanisms to learn, but I've not really figured out a preferred build for them.

For Defect, whether to max orb slots (passive effects) vs minimum slots that churn (active effects). The Watcher took a bit to understand the 'stances' but was reasonably straightforward once I'd figured out switching between rage & calm.

Ironclad is probably my least favourite, just haven't identified a decent attack & block mix, and how to max out damage with that build 

I've also been playing this a lot inbetween work for the last couple of days. I've dipped in and out of it a few times over the last couple of years, but this is the first time I've really played it in anger. It really is a fantastic game, slowly creeping up higher and higher each run (mostly, also fucked a few in the first few rounds). Still sticking with the opening character at the moment (ironclad?), but yeah, love it.

This was a bit a game changer (or perhaps a big cheat, or something obvious I'd just overlooked depending how you look at it):

So my missus has also been playing the game, and I was watching her progress, up to the point she was just about to die on Floor 35 or so, with an Ironclad build.

So mid fight she went into the menu, and hit the "save & quit" option - and I was like "WTF are you doing?"

And she's like "Oh yes, if you save & exit during a fight you start again from the beginning of that fight....."

I don't know if I've missed the blindingly obvious here, as I thought it'd either save at the point you were at, or penalise you (failed run) for quitting mid fight, instead you get a do-over !!!!

So back to my thing on Thu when I dropped the controller etc, could have hit pause & quit rather than dying !

Is this even "allowed"...?!?!?!

Took a Silent build past Floor 50 for the first time, and had no problem finishing off the mini bosses and final heart (thanks to a couple of wraith cards, and a whole bunch of poison).

The Floor 50 boss was slightly more troublesome, ended up using a fairy in a bottle, when taking out the Awakened one, but knew I could rely on it if needed, so never really felt in that much danger.

Thing is now, as much as I've enjoyed it, do I carry on?

Unless I'm missing a trick, it always takes me somewhere towards 90 mins to go from Floor 1 to 50, and sometimes it seems reasonably clear whether your build will be good enough to go further - so not sure if I'm that compelled to complete Floor 50+ for the other 3 characters.

Oh, and before you ask, I didn't use that 'save' trick during my run !

Oh heck, I keep coming back to this, even though I should perhaps move on.

Took another Silent build through to the end, this time at Ascension Lv 1, and had no problem taking down the heart again (hit one boss for 1300 poison damage along the way).

Wasn't anywhere near as successful when trying the next run as the Watcher.

I've got a friend who's played Magic The Gathering basically forever. I've been telling him for ages he should get Slay the Spire as he'd really dig it. Yesterday he got it and got to level 50 on his first run.

IMG-20210521-WA0002.jpg