passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Mario 64

Hendo

Come on then, we've had people's thoughts on the DS "remix" version, how about the original?

This was the first thing I saw on the old 64 and it blew me away. I knew I'd get the machine once I'd played on this. Goldeneye then sealed the deal!

I don't know how many times I've played this through but it's still a corker.

Even though everyone complained that Mario Sunshine wasn't a step-up from this, they forget how much better Sunshine looks. Go back and play this now and it doesn't look quite as impressive. Still it's a ground-breaker in every way.

The only thing stopping me from buying this is the fact that I've played it loads and it is 1000 points which makes it the most expensive game on the VC.

Super Mario 64 will always hold a special place in my heart. The first time I saw this game in magazines (no net for me back then!) at the age of fifteen, I couldn't believe my eyes. I had to get an N64 for this game alone. The control system was fantastic, but it was the fluidity of the camera that seemed so ahead of its time for me.

Although I'm a huge fan of the 2D Mario games (I still prefer them by a long way), Super Mario 64 showed just what could be done when given the opportunity to build a Mario World in three dimensions. I have the DS version of Super Mario 64, but haven't played it a great deal due to the lack of proper control, and then there's the fact you start as Yoshi, not Mario!

As for whether to purchase on the VC or not. Well, I have, and I have to say, it looks better than ever! Higher-Res graphics, full screen, and running super smooth. It's not the blur fest that the N64 seemed to pull off so well. It is a joy to play on the VC with a Classic Controller, or a GC pad should you wish. 1000 points well spent. Recommended.

and it's still one of the only games (along with OoT/WW/TP and SMS) that has a near perfect 3d camera.

In fact, from the games i've played, I would say Nintendo are the only people that have ever got the camera spot on.

yeah 3d cameras usually ruin exploration games. Havent tried the VC version of this yet, don't think I will tbh, my VC seems to get used just for arcade games atm.

• 11 years later...

I’ve always held Mario 64 in very high esteem. I loved it on the N64, completing it in full 9 times (once on a friends N64, then two lots of complete saves on my N64 as well). 

Last night whilst sticking some SNES roms on my Kindle for a long haul flight at the weekend, I thought I’d take a look at N64 roms as well. Within 5 mins I had an emulator and Mario64 running on my kindle. 

I was concerned it would look dreadful, generally those first generation of 3D polygon games haven’t aged well. surprisingly, this still looks pretty good. I cleared 25 stars in about 2 hours and was impressed with how much I remembered. 

I’m playing using an 8bit Do pad which maps to the N64 controls pretty well. 

I don’t remember the Lakitu camera being as frustrating as it is, I can’t even remember having to reposition it on the N64. One thing this leads to is random changes in Mario’s walking direction as the camera adjusts and I don’t seem able accordingly, might be a case of fiddling with the controller set up. 

Imagine i’ll finish play through 10 before the weekend.

I remember queuing up for three hours to play this in a Virgin Megastore on the day it was released, and was absolutely blown away by it. Fast forward a few years to when I got my first half decent paycheck from a part time job, I went to Electronics Boutique and bought a N64 with Zelda, Mario 64 and Goldeneye and spent the entire weekend glued to it. Man - good times.