passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dark Souls: Remastered

radiofloyd

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sly Reflex said:

When it comes out I might give it ago again and cement the fact that I still don't like it.

How far did you get before you gave up?

I looked at the OG DS post in the games section and it seems you got up to the Gargoyles and were enjoying it a lot? What happened?

The constant hikes to the bosses were a fucking pain in the arse. I was further on than the gargoyles, I was in the forests and the slums. Running to the bosses over and over after a defeat got old quick. I found that aspect of the game tedious and it only made the anxiety of fighting the bosses more because you'd sort of snowball your souls each time you make the run. I beat all the big knights and bosses on the way to where I stopped, I just couldn't face the treks the game was asking of me. I get that it's meant to be hard and punishing, but the game turning into a marathon sim really turned me off wanting to play more of it. I really enjoy the core concept and the idea of it, the thing is the way you end up having a good 3 or 4 minute run in between being able to have a shot at the boss. I just want to be straight back on the boss. If it was any other game it'd be considered shitty check pointing to do something like that.

Maybe I should git gud. Or maybe the game can go and get fucked. Take your pick.

Yeah that’s fair enough. 

I will say that there’s almost always a shortcut that cuts time from a Bonfire to boss or a hidden bonfire - there’s one near Sif/Butterfly in the Forest hidden behind an illusory wall for example - and I’ll run past the enemies in the lead up to the boss door from my second attempt on but yeah it is still a Souls staple.

20 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I get that it's meant to be hard and punishing, but the game turning into a marathon sim really turned me off wanting to play more of it. I really enjoy the core concept and the idea of it, the thing is the way you end up having a good 3 or 4 minute run in between being able to have a shot at the boss. 

You could literally copy and past this into the a Monster Hunter or Souls thread and you wouldn't know which game they were speaking about. 

I don't know how anyone thinks but i've always liked that build up to fighting a boss again in a souls game. It gives me to think things through and psych yourself up again. I don't think it would be the same game without it. 

Like Blakey said there's usually shortcuts and/or a bonfire near by. When I see that fog gate I have a look around.

Best thing to do @Sly Reflex is join a co-op covenant and pop your sign down at a boss gate. Good way to farm some souls, level up a bit and get some practice on the boss free from fear of having to make your way back because you just pop back where you left your sign if you die.

Been toying with the idea of Bloodborne but I sort of already know I'm going to hate it. At least I can say I tried it and that it wasn't for me.

2 hours ago, Duck said:

You could literally copy and past this into the a Monster Hunter or Souls thread and you wouldn't know which game they were speaking about. 

The thing is with MH you're not having to run through crowds of mobs some of which you have to stop and fight because it's too risky to just bypass them. There was a ledge full of rats you had to fight every time you passed through. Same with the Gargoyles, there were a few mobs you had to stand your ground there because otherwise you'd get backstabbed into instadeath. Same with the mobs down in the slums and forest, sure you can run past most of them, but there's a chance that one is going to make things awkward.

That doesn't really happen in MH. If extra trash mobs get involved they usually end up as collateral or you run away from them to chase the target down when it moves area. It's completely different, just quoting a line of text without context to suite your argument doesn't do you any favours. Context is key.

14 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

Been toying with the idea of Bloodborne but I sort of already know I'm going to hate it. At least I can say I tried it and that it wasn't for me.

Give BB a go and see how you get along would be my advice. It's much quicker than DS1 with the onus on offensive combat rather than defensive so they aren't a like-for-like comparison but it's still probably safe to assume if you like BB you'll like DS1 (again). There's no stakes anyway, if you don't like it you can just uninstall it and move on.

• 3 months later...