Hendo

The best video game music

While i'm on a soundtrack kick:

Shadow of the Beast - the opening tack to one of the hardest games ever made. Used to creep the hell out of me when I was a kid.

Grandia - what a game. I love how the theme transitions to 70's TV theme disco to sincere violin music and back again.

Doom 2 Hell on Earth - some strange part of me misses midi music. Takes me back to sitting in front of my mates 486 SX25 and quite literally being blown away by this crazy new genre of game - the first person shooter.

Fatal Racing always struck me as a game that should have reached a wider audience than it actually did. Used to play this to death split screen. 

On 31/01/2019 at 15:45, Whiskey_chaser said:

While i'm on a soundtrack kick:

Shadow of the Beast - the opening tack to one of the hardest games ever made. Used to creep the hell out of me when I was a kid.

This game's soundtrack is so fucking good. It's one of my favourite games and seriously needs an HD remake.

Crazy to think it was Japan Studio's second game.

Ha - not sure what happened there, it was supposed to be this...

But Journey's soundtrack was also fantastic, so I won't grumble!

8 hours ago, Whiskey_chaser said:

I heard this track over the weekend and it immediately conjured up images of cars sliding sideways around a racecourse:

The same for Gran Turismo, for me. One of my favourite intros.

You look at it now and it looks bad, but at the time it blew everyone who saw its socks off. GT1 was a humongous step forward as far as graphics go. With just 2mb of ram as well. I think my DVR has more power than that!

I'd have that on in my bedroom as a teenager and just marvel at the attract mode for ages. It was incredible. I dread to think the number of hours I put into GT and GT2. A ton more than the rest of the series combined, that's for sure.

For sure. GT2 was the game that ended my childhood. Summer of 2000 was the last time I played as I did when I was a kid. Later that summer I started my apprenticeship and life moved on. It was a good few years before I played a game other than casual dabbling.

@Sly Reflex TBF I don't think it has aged that badly visually. The car physics still look very good. I played the first GT again about 9 months ago and it really holds up as a great game. Shame they went off the boil after 3.

Not trying to end this thread but y’know

15 hours ago, retroed said:

The same for Gran Turismo, for me. One of my favourite intros.

Yeah - that's an excellent remix, I have an old mix CD by the Chemical Brothers with it on, i'll have to dig it out for a listen later.

Splatoon had a fantastic score. Really you could pick anything out and you'd have a good tune. I like this laid back bit of music from the shop.

Strolling through the wastelands of Boston in Fallout 4 can sometimes kick this song out. I must have heard it a million times before but I never really paid attention to the lyrics. It's a good 'un.

So I've been talking SoR3 a bit today.  It's on my mind since I played it again today and somewhat relevant to "the discourse". 

And I'm lost on the hate for the music.  The OST is mostly great.  SoR2's music is sweet.  SoR3's music is dirty:

Though because of Hendo's dislike of it I suspect it won't be in a podcast 🤫

For the record, two things.

One, yes, I think SoR3 soundtrack is a blight on mankind.

Second, I have never chosen tracks because I like them, I choose ones that fit together and bounce with other tracks well. I’ll often start with what’s a good opening track, what’s a good closing track and fill the middle with some good contrasts. And also try and make sure that there’s a good spread of people having their tracks used.

So, nerr.

I've had SFV's soundtrack on my Spotify recently and I've just realised how great Zeku's theme is.  He's a new character and I'd not really used him or fought against him much so I didn't really come across it.  It rules:

I've been doing the steam spring clean thing. One of the games was Cave Story. Just listen to this masterpiece.

I wasn't a fan of the game, but that bit of music is wonderful.

Am I the only one who thinks video game music rules?  Come on, people. 

Since I have Tetris Effect's OST in my history I keep getting Child of Eden's in my recommendations so you can have it too:

I did think about posting a shorter version but, personally, I'm a sucker for long form tunes. 

Someone else better put something in this thread before I just start filling it with music from SoR3.