passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Smart and Bluetooth speakers.

Cyberpunk

I thought I'd add this. I looked off a similar thread, but couldn't find one. Feel free to move it if needed.

I got given an Amazon Echo gen 2 for Christmas. Not the tiny dot, the large one. So far I'm impressed. It's my first smart device, other than phones and tablets, and quite easy to set up. You need the Alexa app on your phone to set it up and get it to function properly. It connects to your home WiFi and your phone via Bluetooth. 

As a media player, it has a good punchy sound, which has good bass, and nice treble. It has a two and a half inch woofer facing down, and a half inch tweeter facing up. It's not super loud, but has a good range and fills the room. I was surprised considering its the size and shape of a large can of hot dogs. It combines stereo channels to give a rich 'two channel mono'. The microphone works really really well. It has seven internal mics, and can pick up your voice even in a room full of noise, or if you're playing music loud. 

An example of what it can do is this. Christmas day, I was cooking lunch. My hands were dirty. I said "Alexa, play the Who, Who's Next album on Spotify." And away it went. "Alexa, increase volume". Etc.

It can work as a hands free for your phone, links with other Echos around the house so you can play music all over your digs. Links with smart devices like heating and lights. I'm impressed so far. I've even hooked it up via Bluetooth to my 120 watt TV bar to play music in two rooms. 

My version has slide off covers so you can change its look, but replacement covers are a bit pricey. It has internet search, Amazon ordering, tells jokes, etc. I might have to get one or two more.

FS-ra-125x85._CB515626475_.png

I've got the older Echo but does much the same. I don't think I get the most out of it but I intend to try. I mainly play music or ask the weather forecast, footy results, odd question now n again. Setting an alarm when I know I'll be nodding off in my chair has also been handy ? A nifty feature is integration with Destiny; I can ask her to equip preset loadouts and such. 

I can see as this kind of device progresses it's going to be standard in modern homes. Even if big brother is listening ?

Whilst not a smart speaker - I got an Anker bluetooth speaker to take to a festival back in June. It cost me £20 and sounds really good for a cheap thing (better than the Roberts radio we have in the kitchen). Despite fairly regular use I've just had to charge it up for the second time since I got it – fully charged it supposedly offers 24hours of continuos playback.