passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The MFGamers Podcast

Hendo

ITunes users may suffer a delay in the show going up. I'm having issues with the XML that will hopefully be sorted by the time you come to download it.

While I am here, we, as in me and @Bigkopman have a few shows lined up. If you like what you hear we're open to doing shows based on suggestions, as long as it's sensible. We're still working through what we want this to be. The base idea is down but a few things might change around as I find a nice spot for where I want it to be, as well as it finding a place where you guys actually want to listen to it. I wanted to try something completely different and if it doesn't stick, then I'm fine with that.

Thanks for taking time to read this and listen to the show. We hope you like it and become part of the conversation.

6 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

ITunes users may suffer a delay in the show going up. I'm having issues with the XML that will hopefully be sorted by the time you come to download it.

It’s not set to be published till noon today so it should appear then.

It’s also worth pointing out that the feed is for all podcast apps. It has iTunes tags in it but every podcast app that people use, uses that feed.

10 hours ago, Bigkopman said:

Andrew? Really?!

Yep. You agreed to it. I don't know why you're surprised. :lol: 

16 minutes ago, RoboticMonk3y said:

Who's in the intro? 

Credited in the post. Go give him a follow.

Has anyone who uses the iPhone podcast app not had the podcast appear for them? Or is it just me?

I can see the episode if I drill down into the page on the app by searching for the podcast, and I can see it if I click on the link up top on my laptop (the link on the main menu of the forum) but the episode won’t appear in my feed on my phone.

I’ve tried un-subscribing and re-subscribing, turning WiFi off, rebooting the phone and still nothing.

Interesting discussion. I still can’t get on with digital only though. It’s the prices! I’ve no longer got attachment to physical goods, as my love of Game Pass shows. Plus as you say they don’t have nice manuals or little extras anymore either. I’d actually prefer to get digital but there is no way in hell im losing a extra £10-20 (+more when you factor in reselling or trading value) for less. I just don’t get how anyone justifies it. Unless you know for certain you already live that game, in which case I’d buy it physical at launch then rebuy digitally when it’s in a sale and sell the physical copy, you’ll still be a hell of lot better off. In fact I’ve done it a few times and never been worse off. 

The stores have got better with sales over this gen, particularly Playstation, the MS deals still aren’t great from my recent experience. But they still lag behind physical. And it’s much rarer to get a proper, permenant price drop. Take God of War for example (a game I’ve recently checked to experience on my new tv). Getting quite old now, I can easily buy it for £30 brand new online. PS store - £53. Fucking joke. That means I have to hold out and hope they include it in a sale sometime soon. By which time the physical copy will be even less. Plus when they first put them in sale they basically reduce them to the original store value. Buy physical launch £35-45, digital £55 usually. 6 months later digital sale! - now £35 - like the original physical price. Piss off. And you can bet the physical copy will have been £20-30 a few times in that period. Another example, Hitman 2 recently dropped digitally to about £25. I’ve seen that online for less than £15 a few times. Still way behind. 

Sorry to go on, I just find it hugely frustrating because I would like to just buy digitally and not have to think about it and always have access to it but unless you have more money than you know what to do with it’s stupid to do so. I realise Kopman game shares which helps hugely with this effectively halving the price but not all of us have that option. 

Steam is a different matter though. They for the most part know how to price games smartly and have amazing, not just decent sales. Totally understand that on PC. 

@mfnick The prices on the stores are high but if you know your prices then you can work out when is the best time to purchase online. Sony always have sales on these day and currently do a Deal of the Week and a Big in Japan sale. I've learnt to be a lot more patient now. Once a game is released at full price, it generally drops after a month or so both physically or digitally.

My counter argument is that the trade in prices can be absolutely  insulting depending on the game. It just depends on whether you're willing to accept £3.50 for a game you bought at £30 - 40 quid.

Thanks for the feedback. Always appreciated.

I understand that being patient helps, I rarely buy games at release for the same reason. But even in sales most of the time it’s still noticeably cheaper to get the physical version. Regarding Hitman 2x that’s still more than physical and I could have bought it physical for a lower price weeks ago. That does also highlight that MS aren’t as good still too, they had it for £25 on their deal of the week. It’s now back up to £55!!! 

I noticed the new deal with gold is Anthem... for £41! The legacy edition is £40 online. The PS4 version is £35 on sale, I can get the physical PS4 version for £25. Still saving me £10 compared to the digital sale price! 

Im not saying it’s like that all the time but 95% of the time the digital sales are shit compared to physical. Itnjust shouldn’t be that way. And as Sly said, I can’t see this ever changing while Sony, Nintendo and MS are in control. In fact if physical does disappear I can only see it getting worse as you have no choice but to buy from them.

I agree regarding trade in though. To be honest I never trade in though. I sell on ebay. And I usually get back 90% of what I paid for it. For example God of War  basically cost me £5 after selling it. Sometimes I’ve broke even as well. Sure it’s a little bit of a faff posting but less so than taking it to a shop. Plus that money is mine to spend however and where I want rather than at a particular store. 

8062AD7A-74AF-4450-AE59-EDEC059FAB80.png

Just got round to listening.

Good show! 

I haven’t bought a physical game since RDR2 but I’m at the point now where I don’t care so much over price differences. If I really want to play a game on launch, I’ll pony up the money, well aware of how much it will drop over time or go to GamePass or PS+.

I could be wrong, but I think on a technical level, even with disc games and even old carts, you’ll only buying the license to play them. Doesn’t make much difference due to an old N64 being offline and they can’t stop you from playing it, like they can stop you now if they turn servers off for something like Destiny, but I think the theory is still there.

could be wrong, but I think on a technical level, even with disc games and even old carts, you’ll only buying the license to play them.

I saw a YouTube video where they proved this was bullshit actually and is a myth encouraged by companies. You do own the game at that point and you’re free to do what you want with it apart from basically copying it. I’ll try and find it. But it also pointed to a legal case (with the proof  and documentation) where someone sued a game company and got their money back as they basically killed functionality and access to a game they owned - one of these online focused games. It’s something we’re all able to do but obviously the cost is huge to follow through and actually take the companies to court to the point  it’s not worth it which is why it’s not a bigger problem. But he did it to prove a point and had the money to. When I get some spare time I’ll search for it in my history.