passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The MFGamers Podcast

Hendo

Cheers, Ed! I’ve actually completed 4 of them, in advance of when they’re due to go up, so I can say that everyone who has so far picked a track will be represented.

Listening back to this one, it’s alright but the later ones are much better.

My next one is all finished, uploaded and ready to be published when the date rolls around.

I'm open to some more out there ideas if people want to suggest. I'm not going to record any "What are you playing" sort of stuff though, I'll leave that idea up to @Hendo or anyone else that fancies taking up the mantle. Not going to be doing any news or game release stuff either, someone else can totally pick up those ideas and run with them if they want though. I'm looking to do more focused stuff that maybe people have not really thought about before.

20 Questions will run for a few more episodes, if the reception for it is a bit tepid after that I'll drop doing them, really it all depends on listenership and feedback.

I think you should do as many as you can do, as many people that are up for doing them.

I’ve got two ideas a month for mine but I’m more than willing to sacrifice my slots (!) if anyone else wants to do something.

Ideally, me and Sly would like it to get to a point where there’s that many people involved that it actually becomes difficult to find the right schedule. We’ve started using the calendar to pinpoint stuff getting released for this reason.

We’re trying to only release one show a week to let each one breathe a bit.

I’d certainly like to revisit the GOTY idea in December again, hopefully with more people. I was quite proud that it’s the polar opposite to the Giant Bomb stuff, only positive opinions abound.

Firstly, I think you are all doing an amazing job with these, they really are excellent.

I'd certainly like to be involved in being on the podcast's, the problem is I don't really play anything on a regular basis.

I guess there might be scope for a boardgame themed one if there is an appitite for it?

Absolutely! I know @Duckwas talking about doing some board game stuff, I’m not sure how best to approach it, though.

Also, some extra voices would be good, regardless of how much you’ve played.

I would say, though, that I would advise anyone interested to get a decent USB mic. The one me and Sly both use (I’ve only recently bought it) is a relatively cheap but really good mic that comes with a little tripod or can be attached to a proper mic stand if you have one.

Blue Snowball iCE USB Microphone - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006DIA77E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_TpNxAb1X8PQAW

There's also this one, and rumour has it the first 20 questions guest @Sly Reflex has used it...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/microphone-Fifine-Condenser-Recordings-Black/dp/B01D4I2UM0/ref=sr_1_23?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1514573205&sr=1-23&keywords=mic

Personally I thought the sound came out pretty good on that episode (with the help of some great editing too, obviously). You could really get a feel for the gaming character impression! Obviously that benefits anyone who didn't want to spend £45 on a mic yet.

I'll take a listen to the music episode tomorrow, but on the whole I think these have sounded really good, and it's been great getting a better feel for some people's personalities who may not have come across the same on here via text. What's the plan for them long term? Is this just something everyone is doing for a bit of fun, or is it hoped to be something that takes on a life of its own and potentially starts being shared on a more widespread basis?

I think anything £20+ is a bit much for people dipping in and out. If you're serious about it all though, go for the Snowball. It's lovely. Having a controlled environment where there's barely any background noise and having a decent mic makes it so much easier to edit. The final product sounds so much better as well, it's much cleaner.

24 minutes ago, regemond said:

What's the plan for them long term?

I'd be happy just to have a high listenership within the forum tbh. Also getting more people involved with the editing and hosting, if we had 2 more people willing to edit it'd mean each person would have a month to edit and record a show, taking pressure off the rest of the people involved. The bigger more complicated shows take me a lot of time to make, the Christmas one took me about 8 hours in editing, while the one that's coming up took me a stupid amount of hours since it was a bit of a train wreck audio wise (we're talking in excess of 24 hours to edit to completion). The 20 Questions episode I did took me about 3 hours from recording, editing and exporting from start to finish. It's the difference the nicer mic and having a quiet room can make.

I'm a complete 'tard when it comes to this stuff too, I'm bumbling my way through it. I'm sure there's a few of you that could do it as well, as long as you're not recording 3 hour epics. Start out small, like 10 minutes and then work your way up. It's not as hard as you think, it's just that editing can be a bit tedious. Initially daunting maybe, but that's about it.

• Hendo featured, pinned and unfeatured this topic