passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The MFGamers Podcast

Hendo

7 hours ago, Hendo said:

I’ve listened to this about 3 times now since Sly sent it to me and really enjoyed it. Good work, gentlemen!

I’d like to use this opportunity to prod once again for recordings for GotY segments.

You have a problem. Unless you're listening for @Jimbo Xiii's adorable giggle, then I fully understand. It's infectious, and not in the bad way.

I went through and tried to find winter or Christmas themed music from games/platforms relative to what we were talking about. If you look in the post Hendo put up there's a spoiler list with all the songs in there. Tried to get something in there for everyone.

I'm glad the feedback has been good so far, I was stressed to fuck this would flop.

Another shout out for GOTY recordings.

I’ve got two so far, I’m happy to put it up as long as there are at least 3 people on it.

It won’t be up till the new year but if I can get files by the 31st that would be magic. :) 

You should always listen back to stuff recorded with you included, since the editor could be a dick and take things you said out of context and remix stuff.Plus it gives you feedback on your performance as well, like you picked up on the audio being a bit guff. You know that the on board mic isn't going to suffice if you go again. We want to hear that sexy erection giving giggle in full clarity.

If he hasn't already prodded you, grab Sly for details on his next one.

Unless I'm really needed, I'm gonna sit the next one or two out till I get a better mic. I've got a couple I'm looking at, unless my old one turns up.

I've inherited a MacBook Pro that I'm gonna use specifically for audio - already set up CyberDuck, Skype and Audacity on it.

I will say it was enjoyable working on the GOTY one. Really easy recording Ben, I barely had to prod him, we started recording and he just went, seemingly with no notes.

Sly's recording came to me as you hear it, any edits were done by him.

I had to work on Blakey's because there was a loud background hum on it that I had to get rid of, possibly a PC fan or something.

I really did struggle recording mine and I had a small window of opportunity to record one. I made some notes but most of it was off the cuff and a lot of cutting bits out.

The best thing about it was I was going to impose a rule of no two games can be the same, but everyone picked different stuff. Even if Mark had picked Zelda, I was ready to do Yakuza 0. Leigh was going to do Splatoon 2 but ended up too busy with work. So it was really cool to have a nice selection of games, even if I realised today that they are all RPGs in some way or another. 

I'd certainly like to do the same at the end of 2018, hopefully with a lot more people. 

i know I've been out of the loop for a bit. I didn't realise this had restarted. Cool stuff guys. i look forward to listening to it.

I couldn't add much to the GOTY podcast, as most of what I've played this year has either be older and cheaper, or retro stuff. The newset games I've had where Forza 7 and Destiny 2, and I've only just got them.

18 hours ago, ThreeFour said:

Look forward to it. When you guys do this. I want in! ? 

What's the next topic?

I don't actually know, that's the beauty of what's happening here, nobody knows what to expect. @Duck and @DifferentClass have one that should be hitting any time about now.

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

If he hasn't already prodded you, grab Sly for details on his next one.

I already have my next 3 lined up. Not saying who they include or what the topics are about. You'll have to tune in when they're published to see what I'm going to kick out. I'll probably approach for the next show once the first show comes out. It could be anyone! Be scared!

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

Sly's recording came to me as you hear it, any edits were done by him.

Basically noise reduction, compression and equalisation, along with any duration where the flow of the sentence was stilted got cut out. Whole thing from pressing record to sending it forwards took me about 30 minutes.

I can't emphasise enough how much a decent mic helps here. Paired with some common sense in recording you're going to make the person who is stitching the whole show together life a lot more easier. So yeah, if you can buy a mic, do it. You don't need to go mad and buy a Snowball or a Yeti, just something that's not going to be prone to bleed or vibrations outside your voice. There's nothing worse than having to painstakingly edit out bleed, or compensate for the laptop being shook by the fan vibrations making the voice being recorded sound shit.

Fort best results.

• Record in a quiet room with minimal noise intrusions
  • Use a separate feed for mic and audio 
  • Set audio down to the lowest you can comfortably hear it to reduce all chance of bleed
  • Have a bit of a play around with the distance the mic should be from your face to get a good quality sound
  • Have a drink of water with you. It'll allow your voice to stay more consistent and reduce mouth pops and clicks. It's a win/win, you sound better and the editor has less shit to do

• Hendo featured, pinned and unfeatured this topic