passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

YouTube “stars”

Hendo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A relatively recent YouTuber for me: 

RagnarRox - Covers horror, obscure, Indie and other such titles. This video on Baroque, specifically referring to the PSOne edition. Really peaked my interest. I certainly would have played it, back in the day. Although by the same token, I can see why it wouldn't have left Japan at the time too.

20 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

it's had a few rereleases over the years, I suspect that's covered in the video, but it got a Wii version that got a slight push in the sense they got magazines talking about it

Indeed. What is unusual is that the original release is in 1st person akin to Doom or Ultima. Yet they went with 3rd person with the rereleases. The scores from back in the day (also discussed in the video) really seem at odds with the game presented. It reminded me of the wildly varying scores of games like Killer 7 and Asura's Wrath. When to some, unique/original=bad.

• 4 weeks later...

Found this recent video about the Armored Core series which I've watched a bit of and is pretty good.  I missed the series due to being late to the PS2 and only playing a handful of oddities but with a new one around the corner I suspect a few might be interested in a video about them

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/03/2023 at 14:39, HandsomeDead said:

Found this recent video about the Armored Core series which I've watched a bit of and is pretty good.  I missed the series due to being late to the PS2 and only playing a handful of oddities but with a new one around the corner I suspect a few might be interested in a video about them

I watched this, similar to this dude I took an interest in checking out AC coming at it from the Souls perspective, not really knowing much about it and played all the gen 3 and gen 4 games (but did not finish For Answer). I think there's a uniqueness to those older ones that gets a bit lost later on, where the clunkiness is sort of the point and fully integrated into the design fantasy of figuring out how to control these things and customise them to something that matches your preferences/mission objectives. Later on in AC4/For Answer, they turn into feeling like you're playing Vanquish, which was cool in its own way but not quite as interesting or special. Though it's much easier to show people a video of For Answer* and convince them to give the series a shot, than it is to show them a mission of Last Raven (which is my favorite one, and one that's not on this video. Takes place over the course of 24 hours and has branching storylines built for multi playthroughs, it's quite cool)

I'm really excited for ACVI cause I think the popularity of Souls, even if it leads to mixed expectations WRT these new titles, has shown that there is an appetite for systemic games like this where you have to poke and prod to understand how to make them work, and embrace failure a little bit along the way.

* like this one here, the scale is kind of crazy for a game of its generation. Also the beginning basically got re-used for Rhadan in Elden Ring when he shoots big arrows at you. I upgraded my CPU to a new Ryzen to run this level better

ACV looks interesting but everyone hates it. Except this guy here, he thinks it's amazing but it's from the perspective of someone who got into the clan based gameplay of that game. Shame that there's no way to experience that now

http://www.mechadamashii.com/reviews/reviews-armored-core-verdict-day-1010/

I'll probably try out the PS1 originals next.

Look, I'm someone who was a hardcore Dead or Alive 4 player online in the early 360 days, I know cool gameplay unrecognisable to those that don't play it.

Everyone dismisses that game, in a way I don't blame them for how it's presented, but it probably is the best fun time party fighting game that is also a legit introduction into taking them seriously.

I dunno why I segued into this.  I guess there were always low-key Japanese games doing cool shit during this era but the rhetoric said different.

It's not that PS1 games were better (sometimes they were) but brains got broken during the 360 era; the worst normalised takes I've ever heard were said during then  We gotta relearn.

To keep on topic, I dunno if you like weird shit here's some Dutch guy who talks more shit than I do:

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, OCH said:

Nice one @merman1974!

Reminds me of my old GTM days.

Anyway, I watched a YouTube video on a really intriguing game (that I'd never heard of before). The more I listened, the more it sounded right up my street. Which of course meant, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. The game was Fear & Hunger. Granted it is an older (2018) game now. Albeit gaining in notoriety via streamers etc in recent times. The catch being: PC-only... 😔

I tried this out and wolves ate my legs, seems like edgelord shit but I don't know. 

As an aside, I find that this guy just spoils everything he talks about. It makes me not want to watch his videos in case the thing he is talking about interests me 🤔

5 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I find that this guy just spoils everything he talks about.

That's the thing. He talks about stuff he's really interested in. But that excitement does bleed into spoiler territory pretty quick. I was fine watching that video to the end, as soon as I knew the game was PC-Only.

But that is why I tend to come back to his JoJo videos retroactively. After I've read the given arc he's talking about.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been going through this guy's stuff for a bit now.  He has a typical YouTuber style but his analysis is genuinely great.  And his most recent on Steamboat Chronicles is particularly good

I'm now mad I never played it.  It got middling reviews at the time and I decided I'd maybe pick it up if I saw it cheap but I never did find it cheap.

• 1 month later...

Hbomb has a 4 hour epic about plagiarism. I'm halfway through it. Forms a common theme with the Tallarico video 

I think it's interesting wrt the low value placed on online 'content creation', which is that a lot of people use it as a background distraction. Which is fine, I do that, but with the amount of money involved in this kind of work it's kinda sad to see people so prepared to die on a hill defending their fave creator's 'right' to just take someone else hard work and make more money off it than they did

It should not be a hard thing to understand and find compassion for, but I think a lot of people in these communities are actually incapable of forming their own original thought or idea so the notion that others would be protective of work like this is a foreign concept to them

First example is about that IGN reviewer a few years back that ripped off small content creators' work. But it's worse than that, he also copied work from his co-workers and helped really fuck up their credibility and IGN as an organisation, which already suffers on that front. Which is an illuminative example of why this lazy shit is harmful and people like that deserve their blacklisting

YouTube is in a weird place.  There's a lot of money to be made and a career so standards and practices are higher than when it was a place you upload home videos.  It may always be in a weird place since it's both like an entertainment network and a social media site; people learning and making amateur stuff along side professional projects.

The main character of the video, James Somerton I've had in my recommendations a bunch of times, the horror video covered, specifically, so I imagine his stuff gets around.