passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

YouTube “stars”

Hendo

On 07/10/2021 at 16:53, one-armed dwarf said:

I think the gamification of this aspect of Twitch is super manipulative, but it's also the business model. At the same time I think it should be easy enough to have interactions with your audience without the 'achievement unlocked' notification that money has changed hands. I much prefer patreon as a means to supports creators than the weird addictive 'tip jar' that twitch uses to tickle people's dopamine receptors, but I also don't think patreon comes close to rewarding some creators as twitch probably does

I've really only properly regularly watched Twitch with Nextlander, but I have watched more around that. I forget the exact term, but the Hype fever or whatever it is, to try to drive subs by levelling up is grubby as fuck. Any of that Pavlovian shit I could do with out, as much as anything because it feels disrespectful to the audience, but it creates the same "I have to help" attitude you get with creepy evangelical churches 

• 1 month later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16cxOv2KGLE

There's this 70-something lady on youtube who first started gaming while already being a senior. I've noticed her videos in my recommendations here and there over the years but this video in particular was really enlightening. It's probably a once in a billion combination, seeing someone approach games with that inexperienced childlike wonder while also having the mature mindset of an elderly person. There's no way I would ever have thought someone in that age demographic would love something like Hyperdimension Neptunia, but here we are.

Definitely worth a watch if you're tired of 13 year olds fighting with manchildren on twitter about which plastic gaming box is the best.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 11:31, Maryokutai said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16cxOv2KGLE

There's this 70-something lady on youtube who first started gaming while already being a senior. I've noticed her videos in my recommendations here and there over the years but this video in particular was really enlightening. It's probably a once in a billion combination, seeing someone approach games with that inexperienced childlike wonder while also having the mature mindset of an elderly person. There's no way I would ever have thought someone in that age demographic would love something like Hyperdimension Neptunia, but here we are.

Definitely worth a watch if you're tired of 13 year olds fighting with manchildren on twitter about which plastic gaming box is the best.

Subbed thx. 

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

It lacks a reaction image with your mouth wide open like :o

As an aside, I don't get how that "reaction" stuff has become so popular? I can't think of anything more fake...

I've recently been looking into how to get a GameCube looking good on a modern TV.  It's not the same as you're doing but there is a little more to this than you expect.  Component cables are an easy option but are expensive and hard to find now or getting a good HDMI adapter for it is not much cheaper from my quick looks.

I know just using a Wii would be easier but I want a GBA player too so that isn't ticking all the boxes.

@DANGERMAN I could be remembering wrong but doesn't the Wii have a HDMI port?  But it's mostly because of the GBA player I want an actual GC.

Edit: the Wii doesn't it seems.  I think I had component cables for it that did fit the GC too but I gave it away to some family member, I can't even remember which one.  That sucks.

I had to stop using my NGC because I couldn't deal with the desync between what was happening on screen and what I was inputting. 

Games like Rockband on later system allowed you to line up these, but without this option it made playing stuff where you need to have a nice reaction rate unreasonably difficult. Monkey Ball is hard enough as it is, nevermind when you're half a second out of sync.

4 hours ago, HandsomeDead said:

I've recently been looking into how to get a GameCube looking good on a modern TV.  It's not the same as you're doing but there is a little more to this than you expect.  Component cables are an easy option but are expensive and hard to find now or getting a good HDMI adapter for it is not much cheaper from my quick looks.

I know just using a Wii would be easier but I want a GBA player too so that isn't ticking all the boxes.

yeah i've been looking into this for a while too, i used a wii with cheap component cables first, but then wanted to play some import games but and the freeloader doesn't work with a wii, eventually i sort of gave up because all the solutions were too expnsive (best universal one at the moment seems to be a retrotink 5x or something at ~£300!) and used a composite cable, and to my surprise it looks pretty good, imo anyway. seems to depend on the tv though because my old sony had a scart input but made everything look horrible (and if the tv even has component/composite, i guess i'm lucky mine does), this one, 4 year old panasonic does a really good job with it though, but with no scart. had to turn game mode on to play donkey konga though and then it didn't look as good and streatched the image a bit, but it was still fine/playable enought for me.

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Might be worth giving the ossc a try, at £100 roughly I think it does a great job with my PS2 and almost 0 lag.

Plus if its not quite up to scratch for you they hold their value on resale so really barely any worse off.

I looked in to it recently and it was £150. If the converter I've ordered over the weekend doesn't work I might look in to getting one in the new year

For GBA stuff, Retro Gamer featured a GBA to pc USB adapter, it's a little cartridge slot that plugs in to the pc

https://www.epilogue.co/product/gb-operator

I bought a "cheap" (£35) converter/upscaler that accepts both scart and HDMI. I mentioned in the video I made that the Dreamcast outputs at a strange resolution, and in RGB, so the Elgato won't accept the HDMI signal, nor the lower Scart signal. Composite supposedly works but I don't have a component cable not the scart block I'd need 

So I figured, if I could find a way to boost the resolution of the HDMI signal then there's no reason why that wouldn't work with the Elgato, but the problem was there doesn't seem to be a lot of ways to do that. I did wonder if the Xbox One would work, but I don't have one and that seems an expensive experiment, especially when the OSSC is less money

That £35 box though kind of works great. It's a bit fiddly at points, the Elgato doesn't work with it from the off, instead you have to switch the resolution on the box a few times, it must scroll through and eventually hits widescreen resolutions, which is the sticking point for the Dreamcast and Elgato, it likes 480p, but not the 4:3 480p of the Dreamcast

I'm going to do another video over the next few days I think, comparing some games between Scart and HDMI, but also some of the issues that crop up with it.  If anyone wants it, I've linked to the box below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086J7B913/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1