passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bayonetta 3

DisturbedSwan

1 hour ago, mr lakitu said:

Why?

Three guesses!

Fact is, Platinum mostly make great mid-tier games and Nintendo are one of the few companies that give those a serious shot: just look at how much they pushed Xenoblade 2.

They did work with Square-Enix on Nier Automata but I think those opportunities aren't common.  But, I do think Platinum will remain independent despite how much they cosy up with Nintendo (remember they assisted with finishing Star Fox Zero) because they want to be free in case something like Nier comes up again.

And remember @Nag it was MS who cancelled that Dragon game on Xbox not Platinum.

Yeah put that news in the Bayo 2 thread. 

As long as I manage to finish RE Rev 1 & 2 before Bayo 2 package hits I should have enough room on the SD Card. I saw they had a 128gb on Amazon for £40 the other day, very tempting, thought my 64gb would be plenty big enough but it seems not.

• 1 year later...

This is the director of Bayo 2, not known if he was directing Bayo 3.

Announcement was drafted in January so seems timed with that new Platinum game announcement yesterday or to chase away speculation that Bayo 3 is having development difficulty.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/it-seems-like-yusuke-hashimoto-left-platinumgames-and-isnt-directing-bayonetta-3-confirmed.99725/

• 2 years later...

Well she tweeted just a week or so ago that we might have to imagine her not in it or something, and she retweeted something about how they tried to replace David Bateson in Hitman Absolution (which they changed after backlash). So it's definitely not the old actress.

For me bayo has become one of those series I really cooled on after B2, but I'm speaking from a post DMC5 perspective now where Bayo was like the last character action game of that particular type for a while.

Gonna get in the weeds about bayonetta stuff now 👀

The thing that made B1 great was how it weaved dodges and combos together. Not just do a combo, do a dodge, start another combo, you're actually supposed to continue and finish the rest of a combo after a dodge and the entire game's encounter design is based around that. Which really caught people off guard when they fought grace and glory for the first time, cause they are testing if you learned that aspect of the game at all. You're not supposed to just use witch time, witch time is the training wheels for the real combat which is all about movement and maintaining high damage at once

B2 sorta toned that down a lot and was much more about baiting attacks with dodges and spamming combos in witch time. Because enemies could randomly interrupt your combos without any telegraph. The other thing was it was balanced in favour of going into umbral climax mode and mashing things to death. So for me I didn't think it was a good direction (as well as all the bosses in the air and underwater where depth perception was really difficult). 

Like the first game is a 9/10 (except for the on rail sections) and part 2 is a 6/10. So I'm just sort of wondering if B3 will be more like B2 cause it is the one that's more of a crowd pleaser. I think the bit in the trailer where you fight alongside phantom from DMC is cool, all the big summon team ups. But kinda seems like it might be a flashy move for boss fights like how FFVII remake handled it

Well anyway, just wot I tink. The TL;DR summary of that is I feel B1 had a very good balance of substance and spectacle, and B2 tipped the scales very dramatically and that's the sense I got here. But the sequels might not be my thing but they are for other people

I have completely different reasons for preferring 1 over 2 but I still enjoyed the second one. After what must have been a troublesome development cycle I'd be happy if 3 turns out just like 2, anything better will of course be welcome but I try to keep my expectations on a reasonable level here.

Also, imdb still lists Taylor as the voice actress: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0773321/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Watching that trailer back again it's really focused on the kaiju element. Maybe not for small scale encounters, but it looks like boss fights could be like giant pokemon matches or something

Also I kinda felt it was bayo when it was doing the army men fighting monsters fake out cause dmc5 literally did the exact same thing lol

B2’s Umbral Climax was just like other games rage meters, right? Like DMC Devil Trigger or God of War rage mode. The character basically goes Super Saiyan for a minute. I agree it made the game more forgiving. I didn’t really mind it, though. Dodge Offset was still really important but more in higher difficulties. Which I think was also Ok. B1 is a masterpiece, but it’s normal mode is like a hard mode. I can see why they toned it down overall. 

The thing I thought was a bit of a letdown was it felt like a bad copy of the first game. Bayonetta 2 was the first time I ever noticed a game director’s influence but it was through Kamiya’s absence. It was like oh. You’re copying all the pieces of the first game but don’t have the confidence. So it felt like a lighter weight imitation. Not as hard, not as daring, not as in your face. Lacked attitude.

I still enjoyed it a lot, though. Even if I didn’t play it nearly as much as the first game.

I want the new one to be good but the really dated graphics and focus on kaiju style fights isn’t exactly what I was looking for. Racing across a skyscraper on a dragon gets the thumbs up, though. 

Closest parallel to umbral climax in dmc is the sin devil trigger mechanic dante had in 5, which absolutely impacted the design of some bosses cause the damage it did was huge. But it only affected a few fights, like 3 maybe. But the damage scaling with UC (and SDT in DMC5) is heaps above basic ass vanilla DT. I had a boss fight in B2 I couldnt beat at all cause I was ignoring the mechanic, getting knocked out of combos over and over. Then I used UC once cause I was sick of it and won immediately, saw a second phase and immediately won that. Like its not about making the game easier as such, more that it felt like you had to do it to succeed imo which is what bugged me

It was this fight here 

Spoiler

Now you might say git gud, if you say that to me maf I point you to the nonsense of the last 3 pages of the Guilty Gear thread so dont pull that shit 👮‍♂️ 🚫

Also I remember reading some sort of rumour before that there might have been a reaction to the way dmc5 looked when it was revealed that caused a bit of a development rethink of B3, and looking at the colour palette and literally how the trailer is set up it does seem similar to me. But that was also the worst thing about 5, how fucking grey it was. Especially for that kinda game

edit actual Bayonetta 3 stuff

https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/11470

I’m also being extremely discerning about the action which is essential to the Bayonetta series. Kamiya-san has almost literally talked my ear off about “action connected directly to the brain.” Basically, that’s the type of satisfying action gameplay that comes from being able to control the character exactly how you want, and the genes of that action have been properly passed down to this game too. From the position of both developer and fan, we’re all working on Bayonetta 3 keeping these 2 bewitching aspects of the series in mind, with the goal of surpassing all expectations.

So what did you all think of the new trailer?

We sprinkled a lot of new elements throughout the frenetic pacing. I’d like to talk a bit about one of those, a new featured mechanic that lets you control Infernal Demons, called “Demon Slave.”

Unlike the Climax Summons of previous games that automatically defeated enemies and returned to Inferno, this mechanic lets players control demons during gameplay and unleash a host of intuitive actions. Each demon’s abilities vary and the kinds of abilities that are advantageous in a certain situation can change at any time. Just how many are there? What else can you do? Well, there’s a lot more I’d like to tell you, but I have to stop here for now. However, there’s a lot of info hidden in the trailer that I didn’t go into here, so please consider watching it again until the next announcement.

Sounds very 'V' 🤔

So we equip demons/pokemon I think? This sounds like a very different direction

I haven’t played a DMC game going on 15 years but I thought I remember from DMC1 Dante turning in to a SSJ Demon, hovering around throwing meteors at people. But it has been an ultra long time I could be wrong. UC felt like the same idea.

I’m not going to tell you to git gud I don’t feel strongly about UC either way. Like I say more my let down with B2 was the tamer attitude of the whole thing. I still had fun with the fighting and the set pieces were cool, but overall it felt different. It wasn’t as raunchy, it wasn’t as silly, it wasn’t as weirdly funny or had the wink and the nod. The word I always used to describe Bayonetta 1 is deliberate. That game does not give a fuck and everything is intended. B2 just didn’t have that and made it a lesser game.