Sign in to follow this  
spatular

Fortnite

Completed the week one challenges on PS4 and Switch. Yup, I have the Battle Pass bought on both platforms. PS4 paid for itself as I have a ton of V-Bucks from playing and daily logins on the Save the World mode, but I did have to stump up £7.99 for the Switch battle pass. I should earn enough through season 5 to pay for the next one, though.

Been playing quite a bit of this the past couple of days with the Missus via Crossplay with her Xbox, such a blast. So much so that I decided to stump up the £8 for the Battle Pass. 

We've come second about 3 or 4 times now and almost got the win just now (took 1 of the guys out of the last couple) but unfortunately the one dude remaining killed us both. 

I also had one game with @retroed where we drove around in a golf buggy for awhile then got ambushed by some dudes :lol: 

Played a bit solo and in squads with randoms, I still haven't won a Victory Royale since my one and only on iOS awhile back 😥 but come top 10 quite regularly, I think the wins will come in time, just need to learn the map more and get better at building.

What's your Epic username @Blakey? I didn't know I played a game with you!

I've managed to merge my Switch account with my Xbox, so I have moved over from PS4 now. Can't believe Sony are still being arseholes about cross-play, but I wasn't waiting anymore. I bought Save the World again whilst it was 50% off, too.

I set up another account for my boy on the Switch and we were playing duos over the weekend. Me on the TV and him on handheld stand using a Pro controller. It's a total blast and we came second yesterday, a win isn't far away.

2 hours ago, retroed said:

I set up another account for my boy on the Switch and we were playing duos over the weekend. Me on the TV and him on handheld stand using a Pro controller. It's a total blast and we came second yesterday, a win isn't far away.

That's the future right there. 

My Epic name is BlakeySFC @retroed Not sure what time it was yesterday, probably around 6, you were on the PS4 and I was on my PC.

Are you not gutted to lose all your Battle Pass progress on PS4 though and start again from scratch? I haven’t even got much stuff on my account but making a new Switch Epic account and having fuck all was rather gutting. Likewise when I rebought Overwatch on PC and had no skins or progress at all 😓 felt like starting again from scratch. 

Definitely feels like having a PC gets the best of all worlds with crossplay, can play Xbox exclusives with the missus and all multiplats that have it enabled.

I still don’t think it’s important @Sly Reflex it won’t shift consoles but is a good feature.

I’m glad people like Ed can crossplay with their kids and stuff, that’s great. You’ve got to remember though we are a hardcore group of gamers on here, I’m talking about Joe Bloggs on the street that plays Fortnite/FIFA/COD etc. I still don’t think they care one iota.

Games sell consoles, not services. Services only prop up failing consoles.

6 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

It's not about shifting consoles. It's about good consumer practices.

Casual consumers have shown time and time again they don’t care about good consumer practices in their games.

Only folks like me and you even known about that shit, casual folks are conditioned through mobile games to think the monetisation of games is a normal thing.

First they came for the mobile gamers, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not a mobile gamer.

Then they came for the EA Sports players, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not an EA Sports player.

Then they came for the rest of the AAA games players, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a AAA game player

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Just because those players don't care doesn't mean you shouldn't Stand up for what's right.

24 minutes ago, Blakey said:

Games sell consoles, not services. Services only prop up failing consoles.

Which ones the failing console, just out of curiosity...

I get you man, @Sly Reflex but not everything is a crusade or a fight all the time, I just love games - warts and all.

I'm glad people like Ed has crossplay between Switch/Xbox so he can play with his kid, stories like that are great. And I'm pleased that I get to play Fortnite with my girlfriend, but it's not really a huge deal to me and never will be. I'm not that big a Multiplayer guy really so it was never going to effect me massively, I go from one SP game to the next, hardly played any multiplayer apart from the odd games of Fortnite etc. this year.

Sony and Nintendo make the best games at the moment, which is why I love my Switch and PS4. If Microsoft decide to make any decent AAA games of note next gen instead of shite like State of Decay 2 then they may get my attention. 

7 minutes ago, Nag said:

Which ones the failing console, just out of curiosity...

The one with a 1/3 of the sales of the other.

It's amazing that PlayStation numbers continue to rise yet Xbox numbers apparently stopped in about 2017...

I'll bet most companies wish for failure when it results in a 10 billion dollar revenue a year.😂

8 minutes ago, Blakey said:

Microsoft decide to make any decent AAA games of note next gen 

Also love this, how much money have you spent on Sea of Thieves tat now exactly?

Just now, Nag said:

Also love this, how much money have you spent on Sea of Thieves tat now exactly?

Quite a bit :lol: I love Sea of Thieves but that doesn't mean it's actually a fantastic game, it's just great to me personally, when people note its flaws I can't exactly argue against them. 

You don't actually move goalposts @Blakey, you literally destroy them....

2 hours ago, Blakey said:

My Epic name is BlakeySFC @retroed Not sure what time it was yesterday, probably around 6, you were on the PS4 and I was on my PC.

Are you not gutted to lose all your Battle Pass progress on PS4 though and start again from scratch? I haven’t even got much stuff on my account but making a new Switch Epic account and having fuck all was rather gutting. Likewise when I rebought Overwatch on PC and had no skins or progress at all 😓 felt like starting again from scratch. 

Definitely feels like having a PC gets the best of all worlds with crossplay, can play Xbox exclusives with the missus and all multiplats that have it enabled.

That would have been my son playing on the PS4. I was at work on lunch playing it on Switch at that time. :lol: I'll add you on Switch/Xbox later.

Yes it was annoying losing everything, some emotes and outfits that were season-exclusive so won't come around again. I'm up to tier 33 on the battle pass on Xbox now though, and have all the challenges completed to date.

I made a start on the Save the World campaign too so have a couple outfits from there available in Battle Royale.

1 hour ago, retroed said:

That would have been my son playing on the PS4. I was at work on lunch playing it on Switch at that time. 

This Daily Mail headline writes itself.

WSJ: Parents Enlist Fortnite Tutors for their kids

It wasn’t the violence or the amount of time she was worried about. It was the result. He wasn’t winning.

So she hired him a coach. For about $50, Ms. Hicks purchased four hours of online lessons from a player she found through a freelance labor website.Rob hopes his friends don’t find out how he upped his game.

“They’ll probably think I’m cheating or something,” he said. “That’s how 10-year-old kids work.”

Hiring a “Fortnite” coach for a child is no different than enlisting an expert to help a child excel at basketball or chess, parents say. Some sit in on lessons to make sure coaches are professional and that their children, well, level up.

Still really enjoying this. I still play with the Missus sometimes but have been playing a lot Solo and with randoms in squads and it's always fun no matter what happens.

I think what I like about it is that it's chilled and even when you're with a squad there isn't that urgency and potential for toxicity (from my experiences anyway) that sometimes arise in tense squad games like Overwatch or R6 Siege, I still adore those latter too but when you just want to turn your brain off and have some fun Fortnite is pretty much the ideal game for that always.

Not sure how much I've played now on PC but it's probably about 10 hours or so, I'm up to Tier 10/11 on the battle pass and have really got to learn the map and its intricacies quite a bit, it has actually become muscle memory in certain areas like Lazy Links for me to know exactly where all the Chests are and be able to get to them lickity split. The win on PC still eludes me in all of the game types I've played, my win on iOS is still my lone win on any Battle Royale 😢. I'm just built for hiding and not shooting really, as long as I get a good roll of the storm spawn dice and pick a decent remote starting locale I always do pretty well (95% of the time top 25, 85% top 10) but getting that W amongst PC players and competent builders is going to be a real effort, I've come 2nd so many times but the W eludes me on console/PC so far.

It is cool to see there is a progression system though with the building and whatnot, I think with PUBG I never really got a direct path to see how to be competent enough to win (unless you drop at a populated spot and manage to get some OP scoped rifle) but with this I feel as if I just improve my building skills a little bit and my reactions/decision making then the Console/PC W will come quite easily which is cool.