passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

DisturbedSwan

Keeping the candle lit for this. Nearly 140 hours now. Picked up a few new rare blades for the first time in a while so I'm down to eight remaining blades now (according to the Blade Gallery).

Also unlocked Poppi's third form, Poppi QTpi. Story wise I'm still on Chapter 8, I just reached the Sky Tree (the part where Indoline turns hostile).

I said earlier that I noticed how the translation often seemed to go for keeping the same mood of what is said instead of literal translation, but I've been surprised more than a few times by how much they have abandoned the Japanese script or fabricated things. For example there's a scene (in a cutscene) where a character simply says "yes" in Japanese but in the English translation he says "yes cat lady", it's kind of an insult that has been added only in the English version. And of course Nia makes absolutely no reference or response in the cutscene to being insulted (even though she does every other time), I guess because the cutscene was based on the original Japanese script.

There's another scene (I encountered today) where Poppi picks up Tora and cradles him like a baby. One of the characters says he looks like a baby in Japanese. In the English script it says he looks like a teddy bear. He replies "I'm not a baby" in Japanese, in the English script his reply changes to "I'm not a teddy bear." What do you think?

144 hours now and I'm on the last chapter.

I visited each place on the world map for the first time since chapter 8 and picked up some new sidequests (I finally found the reason for the Nopon Doubloons, as of right now I only have 7 of 11 though). But I think I'm happy to finish the game now.

The last couple of chapters have been pretty spectacular. Since my party are all over level 70 (currently 75-78) none of the regular enemies will aggro towards me so I've usually only been fighting the unique enemies, and the last chapter had some spectacular ones, especially that ginormous level 66 robot, that was amazing.

Monolith Soft have raised the bar for a story in a jrpg in this game. Special mention has to go to the villains who are really well done (and really well voice acted). For all its anime cliches, it's a hell of a story they've told here, about drivers and blades. I mean I'm well past the point of being "invested" in it.

Japanese stories always have themes and if Xenoblade has any one central theme I think it's キズナ (kizuna - bonds, relationships, links, connections etc). It's a word that appears over and over again in the script.

I havent finished it yet though!

nice work!

i finished it a bit ago, really enjoyed it overall, the characters and story were good, some funny bits, combat was fun, everything you do is interlinked and seems useful so it's not wasting your time. though near the end i thought

Spoiler

the story went a bit bollocks and there wasn't as many funny bits

There was one particularly annoying bit:

Where Rex has to fight the other party members solo. I wanted this to end as soon as it started. I beat Nia no problem but I lost to Morag a few times, it didn’t help that she was two levels higher than Rex! I took off her accessories to weaken her haha. When I saw that I had to fight Tora and Zeke together I was like what the fuck but luckily I beat them on my second attempt. 

That section was tedious but other than that I liked the ending. I really liked Metsu and Shin as villains, I don’t know about the English voice acting but the Japanese voice acting was excellent for those two characters.

Yeah I hated that part of Ch.10 too @radiofloyd 

Spoiler

I breezed through Nia but Morag gave me a ton of issues. Had to look up a solution on the net at the time and put in 3 healers so my health would continually get topped up as I was fighting and managed it on my 9th or 10th attempt.

After that Zeke and Tora were a breeze, but yeah for a small amount of time I didn't think I'd be able to finish it because of that Morag fight.

The rest of Ch. 10 I liked quite a lot though, the ending was grandiose, anime and really cool in my view. I really dug that final boss as well, again really mech and anime but I loved the grandiosity and absurdity of the size of it. I didn't realise at the time that that fight has a timer on it, if you don't defeat it by a certain phase then it'll do a self-destruct move that'll one shot your entire party, saw that happen to Damiani of EZA as he was taking too long, damn that would've pissed me off!

But yeah, didn't happen to me and I quite loved the fight. Heart was beating out my chest at the time, really felt the seriousness of the task.

The bit after the final boss when you think Pyra/Mythra has sacrificed themselves only to turn up on Gramps at the end was incredible.

Yeah I loved that.

Oh, he killed me with that move a couple of times, but I’ve forgotten the name of it. I don’t think the whole fight necessarily has a timer though, I think the timer just kicks in once his health gets low, and then you have a short amount of time to kill him.

Details of New Game Plus mode available in next week’s update:

https://gematsu.com/2018/02/xenoblade-chronicles-2-version-1-3-0-update-launches-next-week-details

Pretty cool but I don’t see myself doing a second playthrough anytime soon. I’ll definitey return to the game when the story DLC comes out later this year though.

• 1 month later...
On 09/12/2017 at 1:42 AM, Blakey said:

The end of Chapter 3 is just in-fucking-credible, just whole-other-level shit, so moving and emotional.

This. I returned to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 yesterday, and have just started chapter four. Epic stuff. 

There's an easy mode in the latest patch where you can switch the difficulty on the fly. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm only at the start of this (about 90mins if I was to guess) but it's already exponentially improved by adding the Japanese voice over instead of the awful English dub. Wish they hadn't felt the need to make Blade McTiny Pants quite so sexualised as I now look like some creepy old dude on the train (cranked the brightness right down).

Not sure about the battle system yet, so do the attacks always automatically hit and I move about to find the best position.

Aside from that I'm holding out on any other judgements until I've put some more time in.