passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Devil May Cry 5

DisturbedSwan

DMC4 had a very basics of basics tutorial where the explained shit like how to shoot your gun and side-roll Dante's attacks with Nero. That was only a few years after DMC3 so I'd be stunned if 11 yrs after 4 they didn't have the same thing here.

DMC is a frustrating as a fan to share my excitement over cause they all kind of have not just a skill floor/ceiling but an "entertainment floor". Especially with one which is this sort of throwback to the more mechanically obtuse but limitless style of the older games. It's tough to say to people "well you see you just haven't experienced the real shit yet". I can tell you how great it feels to me to keep Nero in the air indefinitely by jumping off enemies heads, smacking them down and picking them up again and then surfing rockets into them. I can say that it feels great to orbit around Goliath's head and dodge his blows and air-streaking into him with a firey motorbike sword (my own playthrough is top of the page for that). That all this is a consequence of my own input and not a cutscene, random QTE or pre-baked combo string, that's what makes it so satisfying. The sheer number of little decisions you're making every second when fighting stuff. But it's hard to convey what's so good about it when we're talking about gamefeel and things like this. This is why we're such a precious lot I think when it comes to our fandom of the games and our over-reaction to the streamlined DmC.

I think it is true about 3 though, that game was faster than this. But I think if you go back to that game and re-learn the basics a lot of the same 'wtf-ness' applies as to here when you're not used to how it plays.

Anyway that's why I think it's good to try the demo out cause a game like this ain't for everyone. I mean that in a non-elitist sense btw.

11 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I think it is true about 3 though, that game was faster than this. But I think if you go back to that game and re-learn the basics a lot of the same 'wtf-ness' applies as to here when you're not used to how it plays.

Probably very true. In fact I may go back to it and see. I loved 3.

The DMC series is a strange one for me. I count myself as a fan but in reality I only like 2 of them now. The 1st was amazing when it came out, I fucking loved it! But when I went back to it in the HD collection I didnt think it had aged well at all. So not sure about that anymore.

2 is terrible and felt like a grind.

3 is a masterpiece, and still held up in the HD collection.

4 I didn’t like much at all, especially having to basically replay half of it.

DmC - I absolutely adore. 

The part where you say you have to make so many decisions every second is actually making me think if I have it in me to really get into this anymore. I haven’t really got patience to learn to do that nowadays whereas when 1 and 3 were released I’d have been more than happy to practice relentlessly to get that good at them. We’ll see.

Regardless though, Nero is a shit character. 

This little combat arena here outside the hotel is why I love the series. That rocket arm is unwieldy and unnecessary but so much fun. The most fun I've had with a weapon since that electric bat guitar in DMC3

Tho it is difficult to control.

The trick I think with 5 is you got to embrace the floatiness a bit and leverage the inertia Nero's attacks have. That's where I was getting to with the Tony Hawk's analogy. You can throw Nero around the place pretty much.

But anyway, someone posted this on a DMC discord I'm on. Don't know if it's legit but maybe something is coming soon

MotivatedNintendo.gif

DMC2 is a "genre defining" game ?

I guess I will have to buy these if it's real.

Good to hear Jasons thoughts on the full game on the new bomb cast (after suffering through the Apex Legends and DOTA Auto chess shite). 

He mentions he didn’t like the demos either but is loving the full game and the new V character is brill according to him. 

Him and Jeff were really down on the xbox demo last year, said it felt off. Hopefully then 5 the full game is better at onboarding people with its fighting systems.

A thing I'm bummed by looking at previews is the full game looks like Bloodborne visually. It's all grey and dark purples and dark hues everywhere and Dante and Nero get lost in the action. Is this the only trick the RE engine is capable of pulling? Very very detailed looking grimy environments?

Is this what I get for not playing on a HDR OLED?

This video is a pretty good explanation of what makes these games great. Sums up better than I could the stuff I was trying to say

His brightness is calibrated wrong tho. Dmc5 is dark but not as dark as that.

Also someone tried to kill Dante

https://www.destructoid.com/devil-may-cry-dante-actor-unharmed-after-street-shooting-incident-543469.phtml

omg 2 more weeks. I can only no damage run the demo so many times.

Apparently it runs better on Pro than X, X has a higher resolution but a weird vaseline AA effect and lower FPS.

If all y'all get it on PS4 then there's this thing called the cameo system which uses friend data to influence the combat of the characters you play alongside. So if you don't want lame AI for Nero you better add me ?

Anyway I watched that trailer. Dante has some weird sort of delayed summon sword thing going on, looks Vergil-esque. Also seems to have Ludwig's Holy Blade all of a sudden.

I think at 1.23 you can see Dante's house in a reflection. Wonder if they will have it be playable like in DmC. Even the flashback scene with Dante's mum hiding him is very DmC.

18 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Apparently it runs better on Pro than X, X has a higher resolution but a weird vaseline AA effect and lower FPS.

If all y'all get it on PS4 then there's this thing called the cameo system which uses friend data to influence the combat of the characters you play alongside. So if you don't want lame AI for Nero you better add me ?

You can’t be apart of my Demon Crew you’ll hold me back