passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Devil May Cry 5

DisturbedSwan

The DMC subreddit is doing a second charity drive to raise money for bone cancer research. It's in memory of this Smash/DMC fan who died recently, Chris Taylor

There will be a twitch stream on Friday. The guy organising is some Scottish bloke I think.

This time around they've gotten Capcom USA involved. It's on their Facebook.

That charity stream is on now for the next 11 hours

http://www.twitch.tv/reddit_may_cry

Lots of really great DMC players will be on

I realise it's of probably little interest here except to me but these guys raised near 10 grand last time and these guys can play DMC like no one else

Also there's a Scottish bloke on now dressed as a woman.

Don't fully know what to make of any of that. I think the way the character talks is fucking lame, but that combat looks like it could be interesting. At first glance I didn't think so but there's a lot of juicy looking systems there.

It looks like what if they took Vergil with his slow walk and teleporting and crossed him with a magic casting class from Dragons Dogma. There's a big meteor spell in there @52 that reminds me of bolide. Everything about how slow his combat is and the different magic attacks makes him look like he could fit in an action RPG.

There's a DMC1 callback object there when V balances on the nose of the panther. That was a special way of killing the shadow cats in the first game. Also has a bunch of lasers which look like Griffon's.

For a game that otherwise looks very safe its cool to see this summoner type character in a technical action game. I'm guessing V will be the hardest character to play cause you'll be controlling two characters really. So Nero is the beginner character and Dante is intermediate.

I'm imagining his fighting style will have loads of opportunities to setup tandem style attacks between V and his parrot friend. So mindless clobbering won't work with this guy. Getting excited thinking of getting to grips with all the new systems

Anyway the series needs something new cause even when I tried the Nero demo it was like oh I totally know most of this already, it's just the arms that are new. And Dante has all his old familiar techniques.

Also V is totally just Vergil or a part of his soul broken off or something.

On 06/12/2018 at 20:36, one-armed dwarf said:

I think tonight we are getting V gameplay. He's a new character, it's not Vergil

Make your mind up, lad.

Anyway, I watched that trailer and thought it was crap. I dislike absolutely everything about that character V (especially his stupid sandals) and have no interest in playing as him at all.

They’re either gonna have three campaigns that need to be played, with a fourth unlocking after to give the ‘true ending’, or they’re gonna force a character switch part way through the story which is going to suck. Either way, that’s over a third of the game I have absolutely no interest in.

This has gone from my most anticipated game of next year to one I’m gonna pick up in a sale for £15 tops. 

You swap characters throughout the game, some missions will let you choose who you want to play as with the other character choice being a co-op NPC or online real player co-op

It's not going to be like RE6. Games like this have to be short otherwise you know it will be full of filler. They've got to be short cause it will kill higher difficulty replays if it's full of slow rubbish. From the TGS demo we already know the first Dante mission is mission 11. Probably full game is no more than 30 missions. DMC missions are usually not very long.

As for character switching well of course that's in. It was always in from day one when they said there was three characters. I can't really see the downside to that, there's too little there if it's just Nero.

Edit

Anyway back to V, I really wasn't into any of it when I first saw it. But after looking at the magic using classes in Dragons Dogma and thinking how the devs could take their experience with that game and work a summoner/caster character into a game like this I'm actually more excited to try V than I am Dante.

If you've played DD then you'll know that the spells in that game are insane. Thinking of how that stuff could work in a game like this has me excited. It's going to be different for sure. A little like Lady in DMC4 I think where you have to keep range from the enemies cause your close range options are secondary to long range ones.

Yeah you're really not selling it to me.

I'm looking forward to your play-by-play review and hope you enjoy it as much as you're hoping to to, and I hope I'm wrong about it (I'll be the first to admit it if I am), but until then I'm out. 

I'm not really trying to sell it, it's clearly not going to work for everyone. Just trying to explain my own logic for why I think V could be a dark horse when it comes to combat mechanics. Dragons Dogma has the best magic I've seen in a game so a magic-using DMC character is exciting just for that reason and the fact you're controlling two characters means there's great scope for some really advanced stuff. Maybe.

V looks like a culmination of lots of different ideas the devs have had with different games over the years, not just a weird gimmick born out of nothing.  Only thing I don't like is he's an edgelord but I'm guessing the game will be sending that up and not trying to play it straight.

The series needs to try something new anyway outside of bang bang bang swords and guns for every character. Nero and Dante looks great but there's not really a lot new there. I'll also add I'm not fully subscribed to everything they're doing with this game. Like how it seems like it's sacrificed the twitchiness of the older games for a more realistic and heavy kind of momentum driven combat. When I played the Nero demo at an event I found I couldn't cancel out of his animations as quick as I'm used to and I'm bothered by that. I need to get another hands-on to see how it works.

Edit

Reading comments on other forums it seems people think V is just going to stand back and be passive while the minion auto executes spells and attacks, sort of like it's FFXII or something. It's not going to work like that I am sure. It's more likely you give it instructions and watch for opportunities to set up tandem attacks with V and the parrot guy.

I'm guessing he'll have a higher skill floor than Dante or Nero due to having to manage two characters like this.

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like it will just be the Nero demo again with more arms. The one I played in London had more arms than that Xbox store one anyway.

I thought this was interesting. Your "cameo" sounds sort of like your drivatar or something and your playstyle determines the playstyle of your "cameo".

The way they transfer that stuff across and you can rate them sounds kind of like the pawn system in Dragons Dogma. Or a bit like how you see ghost of other players running around in Dark Souls.

You can also play "as" your cameo, ie just do online co-op.

• 5 weeks later...

I got some practice in on that DMC5 demo on NZ PSN

(Edit replaced older video with my s rank run cause it looked cooler ?)

I had doubts after playing it at the Capcom London event due to how heavy and slow it feels. I still think it's heavier and slower than dmc4 but what's soothed many doubts for me now is that Nero has way more of a fun "toybox" feel when you play him. Those breakable arms are great cause they're so powerful and have funny effects on combat. It makes more sense to me now that they're power ups and not just styles like Dante.

My favourite arm in the demo is punchline. It's a rocket propelled fist that juggles enemies which can be further fucked up with your sword and gun. It also has a rocket powered shyrouken, Itsuno calling back to his Street Fighter Alpha heritage ?

The punchlines base move uses the rocket arm to juggle enemies. It's a lot like ricoshot in DmC if you've played it but it works better here I think.

Feel much better about 5 now but I am a bit bummed that it can't lock to 60 on PS4 pro. That'd make it the first DMC besides the reboot to not almost always lock to 60. The camera is still also really bad. I'm so used to shit DMC camera that it barely phases me, but it does stand out quite a lot in a 2019 action title. But then I've never played one of these games which didn't have rubbish camera. Except DmC I suppose ?

I think lots of people will still find this kind of DMC obtuse and unwelcoming, but this is the type of action I've missed for a long while.

Will probably practice on this a lot until release.

V gameplay by GameSpot

Looks better than previous showings. Not everyone will dig the playstyle but I'm all in for weird, gimmick characters so long as there's scope to explore and experiment.

Eazy allies have a long video talking about DMC but haven't watched it to know if there's spoilers or anything like that

I've put so much time in the demo that I'm sure I would have had the full release beaten twice over by this point. Now I know what people meant about that Sons of Liberty demo back in the day.

My feelings on it is when it comes to the nitty gritty of hitting things with your sword that DMC5 has a weird "delayed" feel. It's either the heavier animations with the way they get blended together and maybe some RE engine input lag, but it is very noticeable comparing it with DMC4 and even DmC. Hit feedback is also weaker than those games, the Red Queen has a soft impact even when using the exceed function.

But on the other hand the expanded air mobility options are so fucking good. Closing distance is always a problem in DMC cause you've not got a Bayonetta dodge/transform into panther button. But Nero has so much control now in the air that it feels like a Tony Hawks game. You can keep yourself up in the air more easily with an air taunt (touchpad on ps4) or enemy step off a monster's head (way easier in 5 than older games). You can pop an enemy up in the air and lock him up with the punchline's basic attack and then call that rocket back and surf it over to another group of enemies and kickflip those fuckers into the air and jump off and blow the rocket up. Or mash on them with your sword while the rocket bounces them around. Or just leave them there and look for a different target.

Even with basic ass demo Nero the different paths you can take are dizzying and the different ways you can play around with that boss are really fun. You can parry his charge with Overture and Nero gives him a bit of smack talk along with it. Goliath can destroy the entire play space and all the debris remains as latent physics objects to get in your way or for Goliath to eat and spit at you as a fireball. One guy even parried his fireballs with a kickflip from punchline. Beautiful stuff.

Dy_lqfLWsAAF8at.jpg:large

DzH1KnLX0AAQZPU.jpg:large

I tried the demo not long ago, I’m not keen at all :( 

It just didn’t feel right. It didn’t flow as well as I wanted it to and it felt like I was button mashing more than I’d like in a DMC game. There’s also just not enough feedback when you hit stuff either, it doesn’t feel like you’re doing anything, and doesn’t convey very well when you can carry on hitting or when the enemy is going to attack through your own attacks. Really don’t like messing about picking up the arm upgrades and swapping them about either. 

Only a demo though, I still plan to buy the full game (not at launch anymore though) and I’m sure it’ll be at least decent when I’ve put some proper time into the full game. 

yeah I felt the same. I didn't like the movement, and there's no flow to combat. How much of that is because Nero is just a bit shit I don't know, but I'm hoping it's more that you've not got the skills you're used to at the point the demo is set.There's no launcher move that I could find, and dodging didn't seem especially effective.

I'll still probably pick it up just because I haven't bought a new retail game for a while, but it's not exactly got me hyped

Launcher is on R1 & back on analog with triangle/y, there's a skill list in the demo to show that stuff. Lockon and analog is the move modifier for Nero (as in classic DMC)

I'll say I don't agree with the button mashing criticism tbh. The design philosophy of dmc has less in common with Bayo than it does with 2D fighting games like Street Fighter. By which I mean a "combo" is built out of all the different skills in Nero's arsenal rather than doing a PKPKP style combo string with a big finisher. So you shouldn't be mashing attacks out really.

I do agree with hit feedback tho

There's a good vid here by a resetera member lowhighkang showing shit off who's better at these games than I could ever hope to be

8 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Launcher is on R1 & back on analog with triangle/y, there's a skill list in the demo to show that stuff. Lockon and analog is the move modifier for Nero (as in classic DMC)

that's the problem with demos like this, I'm going to assume you're taught all this early in the game but not in the demo. I looked at the skill list and couldn't see it either (I was expecting a slamdown bounce up move tbh, which will probably come later)

Watched about 5 min of that, I don’t know, it still doesn’t look that impressive IMO. 

Im hoping it’s just because it’s a demo and like Dangerman says you haven’t got access to as many skills or haven’t been taught them due to being a demo so you’re unaware of them.

I definitely dont remember DmC or DMC3 feeling this slow and mashy. DMC 3 in particular. Bayonetta has always been a bit more like that but it was still loads of fun and it didn’t actually feel like I was just hammering same attack. It disguised it well. I just didn’t get much enjoyment from this demo at all. Like I say, want to check out the full game before I disregard it entirely though.