passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Devil May Cry 5

DisturbedSwan

DMC5 MTX Detailed

Most abilities I saw in the progression menu cost between 8,000 and 10,000orbs at tier 1, and the tier 2 ability I saw costs 20,000 orbs. The top ability of the Cavaliere line (that I saw) costs 35,000.

The revive feature costs 1,500 orbs if you want only 30% of your life back, 3,000 points if you want 100% of your initial non-upgraded life, and 7,500 if you want every bit of it, upgraded life included. The second time you use a revive in the same mission those values grow to 7,500, 15,000, and 37,500 respectively.

I started the level with 4,377 orbs, and by the final boss, we had reached 26,843 (of course counting the orbs we during the level). This means that simply by killing stuff and breaking red clusters we accrued 22,466 orbs.

I didn’t even go too much out of my way to find every red cluster hidden in the level, meaning that there are probably more available if you take your time to explore.

On top of that, you received a sizable number of bonus orbs after killing the boss depending on your stylish rank. A rather crappy B rank provided nearly 20,000 orbs. This means that a single level played by a scrub like me can easily net you over 40,000 orbs in the current build. Finishing with higher rank can (if you’re extremely good, which I am not) earn twice that post-mission bonus, pushing you around 60,000.

One specific exception is the top ability of the Abilities line, which costs a whopping 3,000,000 orbs and let you perform a special taunt that is more effective at increasing your stylish rank than a normal one. This one is, at least from what I could see, an exception in terms of price, and everything else I saw was much, much more affordable.

Personally I think this is a whole lot of crying over nothing.

You can buy orbs off the store for Devil May Cry 4 as well and that didn't ruin the game. 

Literally the only way this will be a problem is if it impacts the games balancing. Every DMC game has had a bit of a grind to it, I remember spending a food couple of hours on DMC3 and 4 running in and out of the same challenge room over and over to farm orbs.

If it ends up ruining the games balancing to the point that it is unequivocally geared toward pay-to-win then I'll hold my hands up and admit I'm wrong, but if it just turns out to be quick fix like in 4 then what does it matter?  If a few dipshits want to pay to make the game easier for themselves then fuck it, just as long as it stays a challenge for me. 

48 minutes ago, RikSP said:

Personally I think this is a whole lot of crying over nothing.

You can buy orbs off the store for Devil May Cry 4 as well and that didn't ruin the game. 

The difference between those is the maths was done for a game without MTXs so when they were retroactively fitted it made no difference to the balance.  But this game is getting made with them in mind.  The maths going by the preview build does show it is in line with previous games but we have experienced EA with Battlefront 2 and how they quickly changed the maths from what reviewers played to what was released to the public.

Capcom seem to be really quick to cash in the goodwill they've earned over the last year or so.  Shame.

I’m just going to wait until the game is actually out before I condemn it or not.

If it turns into a BF2 situation where people like myself (and I’m guessing most of you) are punished by the game for playing without buying MTX then yeah, fuck it. But if it’s literally just there to be what is essentially a paid for cheat code then whatever.

The truth is we don’t know enough yet. Those dualshockers numbers are rubbish, demos and previews usually increase rewards and dumb down difficulty to give everyone a fair chance at events so they’ll probably be changed in the main game, but until we know for sure that it’s 100% steered toward pay-to-win and if you’re not willing to pay then fuck you, I’m not gonna worry about it.

It’s definitely worth keeping an eye on though, and I’m interested to see more.

5 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

I don't think it's developers, it's mandated from publishers. 

I actual think it's sometimes both. Soderlund was a dev for DICE, but when he moved up the EA ranks he was credited with the whole SWBFII loobox debacle. It's probably skewed towards publishers, but the less unscrupulous devs will have an eye on doing shady stuff as well.

• 1 month later...

A GTM crosspost, I promise I wont spam this one like the GTM thread. But I got my hands on the demo to this last month at an event in London and figured I'd save my impressions of it here

0FTy1slh.jpg

I couldn't get a full grasp of that arm system as it seens like there's a lot to learn there so I stuck to the very basic DMC4 bread and butter. The timings for stuff feels different tho so it was hard to nail those basic attacks.

One thing is that helm breaker is mapped to back lockon and Y which screwed me up a lot, I'm surprised I got an A to be honest.

It's seems good but very hard to judge with such a short demo. I did manage to do the thing from the trailer where Nero throws the big car eating Goliath into a tower for massive damage, so that felt very cool.

One thing now is that there's way more opportunities to manually rev your sword, so that mechanic is more accessible. The timing for instant rev is the same tho.

The big thing I come away from is feeling it might be slower than DMC4, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I do feel some sort of buffering between movement as Nero adjusts to his next animation state. This might contribute to my feeling a little rudderless on the aerial combat.

The demo boss is a lot like the one at the start of DMC4 but I had more fun with him. It's a good tutorial for bullying big enemies and managing your position and iframe and stuff.

•  
  •  

Post by One-armed dwarf » October 17th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Also there is this "breakaway" mechanic in it. As I was fighting that big Bowser knock-off he breathed a big huge fire vortex at me and sucked me in through the air. I had to break my arm off to damage him and escape. Super weird mechanic.

I did lots of cool taunts in the demo. There's one where Nero does a sort of Revolver Ocelot stylish reload of his gun which puts a powerful charge shot in it, so it's not just for looking cool it's for looking cool and kicking ass. Similarly it has that taunt where he puts his sword down and revs it which gives you a single charge of sword fire power

It all looks about what you'd expect but I expect also a lot of people will be thrown off by how floaty it is. I don't know that this is the same twitchy Devil May Cry as before and I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. Really need a public.demo that I can play on my own time, not one in a pub with a half naked Dante cosplaying behind me baring his navel all nakedly at me

Mostly tho shit is promising, but jarringly different in feel. It will be interesting to gauge reactions when there is a public demo

There's a twitch stream that happened today showing off some pretty solid clobbering by one of the UK capcom guys playing as Dante.

http://www.twitch.tv/capcom_uk/v/340927592?sr=a&t=1633s

This guy was at the London event I went to. People were trying to get details about the third playable character from him but he wouldn't abide :(

One thing I've noticed is it's way more driven by inertia. Moves have momentum and there's some actual physics shit happening when enemies get hit, but it also seems to be less twitchy (which is how it felt when I played as Nero). Looks cool but very different in "game feel" even if the same moves are in there.

Bayo is harder on its base difficulty than DMC I feel like. Them Grace and Glory fuckers are a difficulty spike I've not seen on any other game of this type.

From what I've seen it looks like a step back from dmc4s complexity but in a mostly good way by giving easier access to some of the stuff that was way more complex to execute in 4.

Dude Bayo on climax is no joke (no witchtime) you'll be fine ?

Bayo has got more aggressive enemies than DMC I think, where in DMC the standard enemies are like punching bags to learn mechanics for fighting bosses (where the real challenge lies)

I think the last time this series was brutally hard was when DMC3 set it's normal difficulty to hard mode for the original EU and US release. The reputation for its bullshit comes from that I reckon

Nero is the beginner one yeah, with the sword rev stuff being the thing put in for more advanced play

I think Dante's parts were harder more due to the fact that Dante's part of the game is terrible. There was a lot of choices they made in how they tried to rejig the recycled levels which made them bullshit and annoying and not just cause it was shit you saw before. Shit like heads that grab you from the floor and reset your progress or that awful statue thing you fight.

They also gave him too many complicated weapons and no option to turn any of them off. But in 5 you can pick and choose as many weapons to bring in as you want. Which makes the character more accessible cause you don't have to switch past the stupid weapons you dont want to get to the one you do want

I never really learned how to play Dante in 4 :(

• 2 weeks later...

New vocalist for Dante’s theme ‘Subhuman’

Here is Capcom's official statement:

Earlier this year, we debuted Dante’s new battle theme from Devil May Cry 5, “Subhuman”, performed by Cody Mitchell Johnson feat. Suicide Silence. Shortly after the song’s reveal, we were made aware of unfortunate news and allegations about the track’s main vocalist Eddie Hermida. While the song was written and recorded in-game well before such allegations, we’d still like to ensure, to the best of our abilities, that your experience with the game ultimately goes unmarred. As such, our development team, producers, recording and mixing teams have worked hard to find and implement a new vocal track by Michael Barr. 

For those that don't know, after Capcom hired Eddie Hermida to sing the song 'Subhuman', allegations of sexual misconduct arose of Hermida being involved with a 17 year old. He claimed he thought she was 18. Hermida later apologized. 

Capcom and the band Suicide Silence got rid of him, and found a new guy to re-record the vocals. The new guy is named Michael Barr.

It is worth noting that the hard work of the Suicide Silence band members, as well as song writers Cody Matthew Johnson & Mark Heylmun, remained intact, as they were not involved with the incidents. As you hear the new track in new promotional materials and in-game, please expect the instrumental parts to sound the same as before. In-game credits have also been updated to properly reflect the new recording.