passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Little Nightmares

illdog

This is a Limbo/Inside kind of deal, more Inside but there would be no Inside without Limbo, you know?

You play a young girl (so I read, it's in no way apparent) that awakens in the dark with a lighter as a solitary possesion and a raincoat on her back. Then it's all on you. It's dark and ominous, mostly slow paced. You make your way throughout the game, slowly discovering the place where you are seemingly trapped and avoiding/running from it's inhabitants. There are stealth sections that arent too long but there are a few of them, I actually enjoyed them. There are also running sections which can be a little frustrating if you fail as you have to do the whole thing again but they job, they're a little scary and come at the right times. Music is pretty cool as well.

The only downside for me was the camera angle. It's set in the foreground and as usual it makes depth perception a bit of a pain sometimes, I had a few avoidable deaths because of it.

I don't know if it's just because it's the more recent title I've played but I felt like I enjoyed it more than Inside. It's just as mysterious but it just felt like it was a tighter game. I beat it in two sittings so it's not long, maybe four hours although there's an achievement for beating it in less than one hour so that's obviously possible when you know what to do well enough.

Recommended.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've spent a little bit of time playing this over the last couple of days (literally just putting it on for 15-20 minute goes here and there), and I'm liking it a lot.

Illdog gave a good rundown of the game, but didn't mention how harrowing it is. There's one puzzle where you have to push a chair to a door so that you can reach the handle and access the next room. There's also a set of legs slowly swinging in the foreground. Yeah, this little girl is pushing the chair that some dude used to kill himself. And things like that keep happening. Some of the suggestions in the imagery is just horrific. But it all sort of blends together to give the game a personality unlike anything else I've played - at least nothing that comes to mind.

As for gameplay, it feels a bit like Unravel - there are buttons for jump, duck, run and grab, as well as a button to switch the lighter on and off.

Yeah, I'm really intrigued by this one. If I'm not wiped out tonight I'll spend a lot more time on it.

• 1 month later...

Went back to this last night because I needed some space clearing on my PS4. Worst reason ever, but it got me back to the game so whatever.

It went from an exercise in frustration to absolute gaming bliss in a couple of hours. I was only on the second chapter, where you come across a weird blind dude with long arms. You have to sneak around, avoid creaky floorboards, walk on carpets, all that jazz. I wasn't very good at this area. Got through it in the end though.

Anyway, that's where I left it last night, and one just gone through the last 3-4 chapters tonight. Absolutely loved it. The enemies were great, the techniques for each one - even though they relied on the same basic tactics - had enough variation for the levels to feel different, and it was great progressing through each area.

I'm honestly a little disappointed I never got the special edition of this with the little statue.

I've dipped back into the DLC now, and they seem to have put a little spin on the main game. I'm really impressed with how much the developers have honed the main loop of gameplay. And I know this is all really vague, but you know what, so is the game.

And you know what? It's genuinely fucking creepy! Everything from facial expressions to basic body shapes have this really exaggerated style that gives the game a massive amount of personality. Which is weird considering how dark (as in lighting, not done... Well, that too, but not what I mean this time) and drab it is the rest of the time.

Just, yeah, awesome game.

• 2 years later...

Started this today on Stadia, finishing the first Chapter. 

It’s ok. As others have said it does have an Inside/Limbo vibe to it but my biggest issue with it so far is how simplistic it is. It just doesn’t have much going for it in terms of the way it plays, you go from room to room solving very simple puzzles and that’s about it really. 

It has a weird creepy atmosphere about it and is a little eery, you seem to be on some weird boat filled with strange monstrosities, everything’s just a bit odd, there is a darkness to it too as others as mentioned which hits close to home at times, they don’t pull punches with some of the subject matter. These things are pretty much the best things about the game so far. I’ll keep playing as I’m intrigued enough to know a bit more about this world and it’s meant to be quite short but I must say I’m a little disappointed in it so far.

Spoiler

21F76EA0-D567-4BFB-825B-D675533BE5D3.jpegA0B0D100-E570-424D-9827-EDF2D349B75C.jpeg

354EA53E-9C36-45E2-9D19-499ECB9BFDDC.jpeg

A95A0318-18E2-4965-B77C-D81C75CA2A7C.jpeg

16670B3C-5A04-46EA-9C41-146A9CDDEAC4.jpeg

Finished this on Friday, think it took me just over 4 hours to clock it in the end.

Surprisingly, I actually ended up loving this in the end. That opening Chapter turned out to be a needlessly long introduction to the game where not much happens, once I got to Chapter 2 things picked up immediately. 

It really is the grotesque monsters that make up the game. Being introduced to this creepy creature with his long gangly arms in Chapter 2 and having this tense game of cat and mouse around these intricately designed levels was just great. The design of the monsters just can’t help but creep you out a bit, they’re never scary but do make your skin crawl a bit at how grotesque they really are.

This formula continues into the next chapter with the equally grostesque Chef Twins in the Kitchen but then things take a turn for weirder in the next chapter where you’re introduced to the many guests of this vile ship. This section still plays out similarly to the previous but this time many of the vile bastards chase you about rather than just one. The levels just have so much character and charm to them you can’t help but love their design, clambering around Kitchen utensils like a bizarre version of Ratatouille or dodging gluttonous monsters forging themselves in a Japanese inspired area, they’re just so distinct and memorable.

I just love how the game makes you feel really small up against these giants too. You really do feel like a Borrower or something scurrying up bookcases or shambling across shelves or table clothes. These sections are really tense too, the atmosphere, sound design and music all culminate to have you on the edge of your seat. There are some really cool chase sequences which set the pulse rate going at the end of almost every chapter too which are a nice touch. 

So yeah, a really memorable, distinct and very enjoyable little game. Can’t recommend it enough. 

Lots of pics:

Spoiler

B00D1462-520B-4A97-816F-265D6D63B69E.jpeg0D396258-84F2-45AD-95E5-BD45C1E5BA65.jpegCFDA119F-5BF5-4AD0-B2EB-404DD55B5EB0.jpeg013F3359-A495-41B6-BB89-371FE4100A85.jpeg
55897E9D-5F3F-46D7-B009-6FEBEE00CB10.jpeg

F388BE15-6276-4079-AD31-7A7157384DDF.jpeg

4313ADEB-0C27-4212-8C79-F6139DCB5F42.jpeg

41468C5C-72FF-4368-B723-11715478CFA0.jpeg