passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Mario Odyssey

Hendo

I found a good mix of easy to find and difficult to earn moons on only the second world, or third depending on how you count the cap one. 

I do agree with not yet being blown away although there have been some great moment but I'm not yet at new Donk city and apparently it picks up a lot there so am eagerly anticipating that part. 

Ive finished the game, really enjoyed it. Starting out I wasn't that up for playing a platformer, but it won me over pretty quick, ended up thinking it was brilliant. Done some post end game stuff too, I'm not great at Mario games so some stuff has been a bit frustrating, and some of the mini games I don't like, but mostly it's ace. Still loads to do. I've got around 300 moons and I've never seen an RC car.

The 

Spoiler

Boss rush

On the 

Spoiler

Dark side

Is probably beyond my skillz.

I found a good mix of easy to find and difficult to earn moons on only the second world, or third depending on how you count the cap one. 

I do agree with not yet being blown away although there have been some great moment but I'm not yet at new Donk city and apparently it picks up a lot there so am eagerly anticipating that part. 

Put in another 2ish hours earlier whilst the footy was on.

Went back to the Cap Kingdom to see if I could get a few Moons here, unboxed and tried out my amiibo to get all the costumes and see where a few of the Moons were in the level. They show you where 3 moons are at a time (if you have all 3 amiibo) but you have to wait 5 minutes for them to show up, I guess this discourages you spamming it so they all appear on your map at one time, definitely the way to go.

Managed to get 4 or 5 here, one of them was actually quite tough, probably the toughest yet, involved tons of platforming on moving/sliding bricks and zipping about as a spark on the electrical wires, died quite a few times in this segment getting the Moon but got there eventually, appreciated the challenge. I really dig the Cap kingdom, it's such a great place to explore and has such a unique Halloween-esque vibe to it.

Next I went to the Sand Kingdom, I think this is the first time the game has given me really strong Rare vibes, just how big this world is and how you have to do little mini-challenges to get some of the Moons whilst exploring the area reminded me a lot of the N64 Rare games which is great. Fell in love with the place really, just completely sucked me in and was annoyed when I had to put the Switch down and take the dog for a walk :lol: really wish I could give this my full attention, I can definitely now see why some on here couldn't put it down!

It's just such a charming, jolly place to be and the exploration element, just wandering what is over the next hill/dune etc. on this big worlds is very strong, oddly enough, playing AC:O at the same time, the Sand Kingdom reminded me a lot of the opening area in Egypt in that! 

Well, that was an awesome final level! I am also now post credits with something like 170 moons.

Just as I saw what Lakitu was talking about, our son woke up and I had to turn it off for the night, super excited to go back to it later! :D

Definitely going to spend a lot more time going back through the levels, there is so much to see and do once you really get exploring. I doubt I will ever bother buying moons but I would like to collect the ones that are hidden.

I hammered this on the first three days I got it so I got to over 500 moons and then had to have a few days off it.  I need to get back and do the post game stuff, though.  Seems like its gonna be tough from the little I've seen so far.

And I will say you can buy more than one moon in a shop, you can buy them in 10s in fact, multiple times if you wish, but it's 1000 coins a pop.  I does help hitting 500 that much easier.

Well...

Spoiler

OMFG, I felt like I was playing Mario 64 again! It got me dreaming about an updated M64, imagine that on the Switch, wow :D

There were so many little moments in the Mushroom Kingdom. Yoshi!!! 

The face rearranging game was hilarious too. I rarely laugh at a game but even before I saw my creation I was giggling away, awesome.

Now I am back to explore more of the worlds. I just bought 21 moons too, after saying I wouldn't, lol.

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, DANGERMAN said:

I'm bracing myself for the reaction to this, but anyone else not liking how Mario controls when you're trying to be precise. Moving around in large areas is fine, trying to change direction or make small adjustments not so much. I'm not sure if it's the game or the Switch's analogue stick 

This. As much as I've enjoyed my first couple of hours I have been shouting at Mario quite alot. I've taken some damage in close quarters cos he just wont move quick enough.

This is the third time I've ever said this about a Mario game in my life, but, this might be GOTY.

Played a bit more whilst the footy was on today and got a whole shit-ton more Moons in the Sand Kingdom, I actually couldn't how many I'd got in the counter on the top right of the screen, it was kinda crazy really.

I still have a bit of an issue with how easy the Moons are to get, I seemingly do nothing and get a shit load of them for some reason? But yeah, the sense of wonder and exploration has never been there before in a Mario game for me, I adored SM3DL but that was very much a more focused level-based game whereas this is much more of a Rare-collectathon.

Maybe that's why I like it so much? Because it hearkens back to the old Rare games of old (and Mario 64) rather than some of the recent games. It still hasn't got that magic that Galaxy 2 had for me so far but it's definitely on par with SM3DL.

9 hours ago, illdog said:

This. As much as I've enjoyed my first couple of hours I have been shouting at Mario quite alot. I've taken some damage in close quarters cos he just wont move quick enough.

I got a notification when I logged on that someone had quoted me in this thread. Saw it was you replying, just assumed I was being called a cunt 

Played a bit more today, about 2 hours or so.

Spent all my time in the Lake Kingdom, just completely maxed out all the Moons I could find there.

Really enjoyed this world, the level design and character reminded me a hell of a lot of the Zora's and various Water Dungeons from Zelda. I definitely think that I love the smaller worlds more, they feel a bit less full-on if that makes sense, as much as I adored the Sand Kingdom it did feel a bit like 'oh wow, I've got a whole other row of moons to get still?!' towards the end of my time there. So the smaller Kingdom's are much nicer, easier chunks to swallow, it feels very satisfying when you've finished everything up there you could find and are ready to move onto the next world, felt natural to end the session there today as much as I wanted to continue on. Just made it to the next Kingdom (Wooded Kingdom) and called it a day.

Also took a few pics from Tostarena the other day and forgot to upload them until now:

DN0VkB1UEAMVq1v.jpg

DN0VKK9VAAA66pD.jpg

DN0VUsSUEAENiQ9.jpg

Ok, I have feels for this game now.

In my opinion, the desert world was the worst place they could start you, it's where I've had the least fun. The Wooded Kingdom and The Lake Kingdom  - those are where it's at. I've had a great time fuck arsing around those places. I guess also I know what this game is about now, shit's clicking in to place.

I did quite a bit around the post credits location and then got to....

the dark side of the moon, which I don’t think I’ll ever complete

and now it’s saying I need so many moons to move on. So is there yet another location to go to?

Also, I seem to remember the E3 videos showing you take control of a taxi but i’ve tried and got nowhere.

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

and now it’s saying I need so many moons to move on. So is there yet another location to go to?

yeah

Spoiler

theres one for 500 moons. it's just one big challenge thing like the 250 one

i got to 500 moons legit, then turned on cheese mode to do some of the harder stuff. i've really enjoyed it, sort of calling it quits now, might look up a guide or something to make sure i haven't missed any cool levels.

Played lots more after Dinner today, probably around 3 hours, spent the entirety of my time in the Wooded Kingdom.

What a delightful little area this was! Probably my favourite so far actually, the intricate level design and the way everything folded back on itself just encourages exploration and replayability, I was constantly looking for hidden ledges and paths to find, with the enemies you get to possess here being the most 'out there' so far it definitely has been the most surprising world so far.

I've been enjoying it a lot so far, but I think this Kingdom was a real eye-opener for me. Just the metroidvania-esque aesthetic to it, the way everything folded in on itself and felt connected just really elevated this Kingdom above all the others, it was just pure platforming perfection really, everything felt like it belonged, everything was believable within the Kingdom's lore and the sense of exploration and mystery to the level and the objectives was palpable.

I absolutely loved that I was just utterly bewildered for the entire first hour or so, wandering around aimlessly just looking for moons and trying to get my bearings, when I leapt off the grassy perimeter wall and didn't die, surprisingly ending up at the Lost Woods I was like :o that was just ingenious. The Lost Woods actually reminded me more of Souls than Mario as well!

Got 29 Moons here, wanted to get up to 30, but I was lazy and couldn't be arsed to get up and use my amiibo assistance this time around so I just settled on the 29, 126 total. Had a good look for others but alas, just wasn't to be, no doubt I'll be going back here numerous times in the future anyway.

My two favourite Mario games are SM3DL and Galaxy 2. I didn't expect to be saying this so early but it's definitely on par with those now.

I had a mammoth sesh on this yesterday. I did New Donk, The beach place, Snow place and started Luncheon Kingdom.

I also went back to every world I've unlocked so far with the intention of buying the unique sticker for the Odyssey, but I spent a little time fucking around in each place so it was a long side track.

I don think I have anything particularly new to add but I'm having a great time. Its just reward, reward, reward. So many ideas too, so much variation, its making the game such a pleasure to play.

One thing thing that struck me is just how fucking thoughtful a groom Bowser is. I mean that fucker has gone to some effort for Peach and wants nothing but the best for her, the finest shit from every kingdom. The dress alone is said to grant the wearer eternal happiness according to the Ocean Kingdom brochure. If only he was less rapey but who am I to talk.

Also, like Assassins Creed tought me to spell Assassins, Super Mario Odyssey has tought me to spell Odyssey.

Got to fully explore New Donk in my session earlier, bloody love it already :wub: it's just so bloody amazing to replicate that first announcement trailer when you see Mario running around a faux-NY hopping on taxi's and shit, I actually watched EZA's reactions vid to that last night and it was amazing, can't believe that was only January this year!

Spent a lot of time messing about, think I'll spend an awful lot of time here just digging inbetween the nooks and crannies of buildings, trying to find purple coins and Moons hidden away. 

What I didn't expect to find so addictive was the mini-games though, I'd heard about the RC and Jump Rope challenges before, but my god they are ridiculously addictive. Spent a good while on the Jump Rope trying to beat DC's score (who's top in terms of the forum I believe) but could only manage 57 compared to his 71.

Then I did some more exploring and stumbled upon the RC challenge, damn this was some next-level shit, I honestly could not put it down, the very definition of 'just one more try'. Reminded me a lot of Motorstorm RC (or whatever it was called) on Vita, similiar controls and arcadey-top down style to it. Must've been at it for a good 45 minutes to an hour, improved my time immeasurably by the end but couldn't beat Spatular's 0:23:15 :( was .65 off with a 0:23:90. Definitely going to give it more of a go tomorrow though.