passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Mario Odyssey

Hendo

This might have passed people by, but this charming indie game came out today.

Played up to get the ship going so I’ve inhabited a couple of cool enemies so far. Not really spoilers considering how early it is and what has been shown. The frog is a bit of a mental jumper, the chain chomp is a cool mechanic but the dinosaur is just pure mayhem, wrecking the place at will.

Controls work well, the motion stuff is a bit annoying. It remains to be seen how important that will be.

Bit early to really tell for sure, but to be honest I think the main 3D games have all had a different hook or gimmick to make them stand out as their own thing.

64 was pretty much Super Mario in 3D, Sunshine had the Jetpack, Galaxy fucked with gravity and physics and this one you take over enemies to use their power. I’m surprised I haven’t seen this comparison before but it’s like Mario colliding with Kirby.

hmmmm... do I love this like I expected to...?

I woke up feeling like it was Christmas day and I was 10 again so maybe i had rather high expectations...

So far, I think not. It all feels a little disconnected or indirect. (Sometimes I wonder if we have too much lag on our TV, which causes this...).

I know I need more time, I got past the first official world and on to the second. It looks nice, although I was more impressed with previous Mario's at the time.

So far it does not feel like an adventure but I will of course stick with it and see where it leads :)

Ugh, always so negative.

This game is certainly something.  It's not like how Mario games have been for the last 15 years.  I guess you could say it's like they found an early draft of Super Mario Sunshine's design doc and went ahead and executed it better.  It probably leans more into Rare platformers and the good PS1 stuff than it has before as well.

I don't think it is a very traditional Mario game at all.  To me, they have always been clearly defined obstacle courses where you master your movement and make your way through them, and even Mario 64 and Sunshine was that at it's core.  Odyssey isn't, the levels just feels like a box of mini games and activities, only some look a little like an obstacle course, and maybe a few are, but it's only one of many types of challenge.

And there's so much stuff.  You can take over most enemies and they all have a unique power that is a cute little mechanic to toy with.  But it weirdly never feels like you've been cut away from the main game and now you're doing something else, like a lot of these types of games can often feel like when adding new gameplay elements.  It all fits really organically.

It's really that good, anyway.  I spent pretty much all of my day off on the couch just not being able to put this game down.  There is always something in sight to do and I just wanted to do it.

But, I hope they don't forget about a big Mario obstacle course completely.  Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. U (especially including Luigi U) and Super Mario 3D World are excellent examples of the obstacle course and I do still want more of that as well.  I don't want to go thirsty for them, Nintendo.  People may roll their eyes at the New sub-series but with Odyssey being what it is I still want the other kind of fix.

Only played about 45 mins on the handheld, looking at the controls it seems more suited to a big screen and controller, I would agree with the above yep it’s more sunshine 2 than 64 2.

Graphically on the handheld it doesn’t feel as polished as zelda, the style is different but zelda was lush, mario feels gritty.

Ive got the airship and off to the next level, so far so good, wonder if yoshi will make an appearance??

I’ve finished (but not really) the sand world now and i’ve been thinking about @Sambob‘s question and I think it feels more like Galaxy. The controls feel more fluid like Galaxy did, and they keep throwing in new ideas at you like I remember Galaxy doing. It really doesn’t feel like a sequel to 64 or Sunshine at this point but I haven’t visited New Donk City yet so maybe the whole real human weirdness will change my opinion on that.

Played the opening level of this Yooka-Laylee ripoff this morning.

I can confirm that the Japanese version automatically played in English (and comes with a lot of language options on the disc), so hopefully Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be the same.

The action guide was pretty useful, I can't remember if there were half as many moves in Galaxy (the only other 3D Mario I've played). And I like the maps that look like pages from a guide book. Lovely game so far. Going to get stuck in tonight!

I'm bracing myself for the reaction to this, but anyone else not liking how Mario controls when you're trying to be precise. Moving around in large areas is fine, trying to change direction or make small adjustments not so much. I'm not sure if it's the game or the Switch's analogue stick 

I've only played about an hour and just got to the San world but it's already showing promise. 

I like the controls. Pretty much the same as usual with a few extra moves with the hat. 

This is when Mario is great, using his platforming abilities to the fullest. The little roll is great for a quick dodge. Wife told me to use the caps to get up to a ledge, but I showed her a reverse jump-wall kick-dive combo got me there quicker and in style ^_^ This is Mario. Platforming. Not an overuse of a gimmick. It remains to be seen if the enemy abilities become too reliant, or just a fun break away to navigate a puzzle.

Oh and a complete polished game with no lootboxes in sight. Thank fuck.

So far, so great :)

I might have to pause my run through and maybe start all over as i’m gonna spend a few days at a mate’s place, mid week till the weekend. For nostalgia’s sake, would be cool to go through it all with him, like we did on 64. Not quite Christmas though, but close enough.

Well, I’m really loving this now :)

91 moons in and just passed the city although there was a lot more to do there for sure. I thought that it was meant to act as a hub world like Mario 64, confused me.

Might start going back over a few levels now I’ve seen that you can and that I have a ton left to do in each!

Finally started this earlier, put in around 2 hours and got up to the Sand Kingdom.

So far I've enjoyed it without being blown away, the introduction was fantastic I thought and the music for the Cap Kingdom was great, had a bit of a Nightmare Before Christmas kind of vibe to it I thought, just loved wandering around and messing about, felt so great to control and the tactile feel of throwing the cap with the JoyCons is fantastic.

The first time I possessed the Frog as well I couldn't stop smiling at laughing, pure child-like joy, so jolly. 

The next Kingdom though I didn't have quite as much fun with, it just felt a bit too similar to Mario 64's first world to me, and kind of generic (for Mario) a kind of grassy playground to muck about it, messing about with the Dinosaur was damn cool though but everything else very much felt like Mario game 101 with the way the Moons work and stuff, I do like the puzzles they put in with possessing the Chain Chomps and knocking them about like snooker balls and stuff though. 

They really do hand out Moons like candy as well, I'll just be wandering around the Kingdom and I'll just spot one sitting on a mound or something? Seems a bit odd I don't have to do anything for it (unless I did something that made it appear and didn't realise it?) but I'm early on I guess, so maybe they get tougher to attain later on? Who knows.

I am enjoying it anyway, it's just such a nice jolly place to be.