passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain

radiofloyd

Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain was announced for PlayStation 4 during Sony's Tokyo Game Show briefing this morning.

Narrating the game's trailer was, it sounded like, the voice of Geralt from The Witcher series of games, Doug Cockle, who I met not so long ago and he's very nice.

The trailer shows a world invaded by giant insects and a band of elite warriors defending it. Glimpsed was a tank you can pootle around in, and flying robo-suit you can take the battle to the skies in.

EDF: Iron Rain comes from developer Yuke's and publisher D3 and is due out at some point next year.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-19-earth-defense-force-iron-rain-announced-for-ps4

• 11 months later...

I've not played Insect Armageddon and I believe this is a remake of that. That game was a bit divisive in the EDF community. I think they're going for a more serious tone with this one, which is a shame because the sheer daftness of the main series is part of the charm. I'm sure Yukes will do a good job of making it a bit more palatable for the people that are put off by the super jank. I'll still probably try it.

EDF5 is where the more enjoyable game will probably be. Sandlot have a better grasp of what makes B movie stuff work even if the lack everywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

They're still pretty bad though. Not that's going to matter, the screen will have 100's of enemies on so you're not going to have time to admire them.

It looks like there's some other aspects to this game, mainly another faction that will fight you and the aliens. Hopefully it's not too Lost Planet, that was the worst aspect of that game having to fight humans. We're here to shoot the fuck out of towerblocked size mobs, not humans. I can do that in pretty much every other game.

• 2 months later...

@regemond pointed me towards this here piece about what Iron Rain is meant to do and how they're going to go about it.

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2018/12/11/18135184/earth-defense-force-5-iron-rain-interview

I read it and thought about it and it's giving me bad feelings about this game because they're not really understanding Western audiences at all.

The original became a cult hit, and the series has grown steadily ever since. You were saying yesterday EDF 5 has sold over 300,000 copies, and that’s before a release in North America and Europe. What do you think has helped it grow into a franchise?

I have two points. One, simply, the game got better. More fun. We kept the same concept over the years and added more features for the core fans. The games reflected all the trends and what people were expecting every year, every generation. But we didn’t change the original direction of the EDF franchise.

The graphics aren’t the best, but the gameplay, the game design, is always reliable. So that’s the number-one reason.

The second reason is people like you guys, who loved the first game or earlier entries in the series and then stayed with the franchise. The fans then talked to people about EDF, and its community expanded. I think that, you know, grassroots push activity helped the franchise grow both in Japan and internationally.

This is the part they get. You make something better and polish it, then people are going to stick with it. You look at the really bad parts of the EDF games and how they sort of iron them out in increments and it makes sense. There is stuff though where you think "Come on guys, this really should just be a standard thing, the sprint for one of the classes that was introduced in EDF5 is a prime example of that.

It's completely at odds with the rest of the game design, some of it feels like they forgot about it and other times it feels like they've focused on something where buildings have been finely placed. I know this isn't apparent to a lot of you who have not played a lot, but the maps you play on are balanced around the classes in the game. 

There's a game I'm going to bring up here. Rainbow 6 Siege. When you look at some of the maps in Siege they square up with EDF's nicely. You have an entry point to the map, and the enemies spawn inside it, but depending on the situation not all the entry points are as good as the others. There's one particular mission in 4.1 where a city has been wrapped in webs and is literally crawling with spiders, some more dangerous than others. The thing is it's cleverly built so that you have to take risks and go inside the city to kill the main threats in the bigger spider varieties that will cause a fail should you be captured. All the lines of sight are blocked by buildings or webs so you're forced into making a decision. You can unpick the level by destroying the webs and dropping the buildings, or you could run in with close combat weapons and deal with it that way. It's a level that's built for many skill levels as well as play styles and skilled players. 

Because of ow weapon levels work in EDF this level is different on each difficulty you play it on. None of that is an accident, it's all hand placed into making each level and each play through interesting, challenging and variable throughout your tenure with an EDF game. That's why it's growing the community, because for people wanting to have a big meaty game to go at there's nothing quite like it on the market.

I'm not going to quote the rest of the article because there's only tiny  parts I want to pick out. 

Western mechanics. This is stupid. Good mechanics are good mechanics whether they're origins lie in Western of Japanese development. I get that the city can be traversed in so many rolls or you need to have some sort of formula to stop Wing Divers direct from tank weapons being OP, and to some extent these things need to be taken into account when building the game, but looking out and seeing what other developers are doing and what improvements have been made in games is just as important as looking inwards and doing what you do best. We've seen what happens in the late 00's when Japanese developers try to make Western games. They are shit. Aesthetic and music don't matter. Do good in these areas and it doesn't matter where the origins are from, people will accept them.

Also I don't know why they're bothering with the USA specific slant. Again, location doesn't matter. I'll admit it was pretty cool seeing London in EDF2, but it didn't elevate the whole game into something Westerners should have played because of that reason, Westerners should have played it because there was a genuinely good game hidden in there behind the fascia of explosions and B movie campness.

• 2 weeks later...

https://gematsu.com/2018/12/earth-defense-force-iron-rain-launches-april-11-2019-in-japan

Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain will launch for PlayStation 4 on April 11, 2019 in Japan, publisher D3 Publisher and developer Yuke’s Media Creations announced. 

The game will be available in the following editions:

Standard Physical and Digital Edition (7,800 yen)

• A copy of the game
  • Physical Edition First-Print Bonus: Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable-style Infantry costume set (two helmets, upper body costume, and lower body costume)
  • Digital Edition Early Purchase Bonus: Pale Wing eight-color costume set (for both female and male characters)
  • Digital Edition Pre-Order Bonuses:
  • “Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain T-Shirt” costume
  • “One Man Army” costume
  • “Sailor Uniform & Pleated Skirt” costume
  • “GK-Predator” exclusive weapon (two types)
  • “Credits & Gems” in-game currency
  • Digital Deluxe Edition (8,800 yen)
  • A copy of the game
  • “PT-Pythagoras” special weapon (two types)
  • “PR-Shaman: special support weapon (two types)
  • “Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair Logo T-Shirt & Logo Emblem” set
  • “Earth Defense Force 5 Logo T-Shirt and Logo Emblem” set
  • “Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair” costume set (one per each class: Ranger, Wing Diver, Fencer, Air Raider)
  • “Earth Defense Force 5” costume set (one per each class: Ranger, Wing Diver, Fencer, Air Raider)

Digital Ultimate Edition (10,800 yen)

• A copy of the game
  • “Riho Futaba” transmission operator (voiced by Yuuko Gouto)
  • “Credit & Gems” in-game currency
  • “PT-Pythagoras” special weapon (two types)
  • “PR-Shaman: special support weapon (two types)
  • “FX-Trial Blazer” special weapon (two types)
  • “MR-Geo Needle” special weapon (two types)
  • “Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair Logo T-Shirt & Logo Emblem” set
  • “Earth Defense Force 5 Logo T-Shirt and Logo Emblem” set
  • “Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair” costume set (one per each class: Ranger, Wing Diver, Fencer, Air Raider)
  • “Earth Defense Force 5” costume set (one per each class: Ranger, Wing Diver, Fencer, Air Raider)
  • “Wrapping Bus (Dream Club)”
  • “Wrapping Pick-Up (Natsuiro High School)”
  • “Wrapping Car (Bullet Girls Phantasia)”
  • Additional Mission Pack – The Season Pass for additional missions to be released at a later date. They will feature previously unseen enemies and new weapons / armaments.

This bit right here...

“Credit & Gems” in-game currency

Lets make the game more Western by putting MTX in it. Wonderful.

Thing is what are they going to charge for, especially on a recurrent front? If you have the money are they just going to let you call in unlimited airstrikes and vehicles, or allow you to buy armour.  Stuff like that is a bad bad idea. I guess we'll know in a few months time. It's looking potentially lousy though.

Yeah the last thing this series needs is micro transactions. You unlock stuff by playing,always have done. So there’s no need for them.

Well,apart from every fucking developer going “You know what? Charging £50 a game just isn’t enough. Let’s throw some micro transactions in there as well”.

”But they’re optional”, the defenders cry. Not when they make a game such a grind-fest,that you’re penalised for not using them.

• 1 month later...

My hopes for this game is that it gives Sandlot something to think about when making EDF6. Just cherry pick the parts that worked and bin the rest.

As someone who is a fan of the series Iron Rain looks kind of skeevy. It might look better to some because they've tidied it up, but on a base level it looks much worse. It's not a game series that needs westernising, it's a series that needs someone to pour over the complaints of the people that have played it and make sense of that data so they can better it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I could sit and name 100 or more things that needs to be improved, some of the things like adding a bigger variety of enemies is good, but the rest of what Yukes are aiming for is bad. When it eventually comes out it's going to end up pleasing nobody. The audience they have won't like it because they fucked about with the formula too much and the people they're courting won't like it because it's not AAA enough.

Like Insect Armageddon, the best they can hope is that it puts EDF on the map for those that have not noticed before it so they can step into the mainline games.

• 1 month later...