passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Monster Hunter Stories

illdog

I'm only about three and a half hours in to this (although oddly it feels a lot longer) so I feel I can post some impressions.

I'm sort of past the tutorial stage, well you can say in some respect this whole game is a turorial compared to other moster hunter games. And although it feeds you the game in small chunks there's still quite a lot to take in.

So this is a very bold and vibrant looking game, based on the anime (so I read) so the lovely cartoony look makes sense. There's a story that I cant be bothered to go in to, just know you are a young wannabe hunter (that you can customise in gender, looks and voice) and you have to look out for the motherfuckers in your village.

The big change here from other Monster Hunter games is that there is a Pokemon/collect em all hook. You start off with your first monster very early and later you can hunt for more. So far I've gained extra non story related eggs from battling wild monsters, them retreating to their nest (which is a cave), you following them in, killing them, then stealing their unborn children which is nice. You hatch the egg by tapping on it and your "monstie" as the game calls them can gain different starting stats dependng on where abouts you tap the egg.

When you battle, you and your monstie take turns. Your attacks are a rock/paper/scissors mechanic represented by speed, technical and power.

Speed beats Power

Power beats Tech

Tech beats Speed

There is a red line that appears between the attacking monster and either you or your monstie, depending on who is being attacked. If that red line connects you to your attacker you enter a head to head, the winner of this is based on the attack types picked from the three choices. Some monsters you get to know as they attack the same every time, others seem to have a changing pattern. Winning head to heads builds kinship, when this small meter fills you can then mount your monstie (not like the way I wanted to mount him sadly). Winning head to heads whilst mounted builds a powerful kinship attack which is handily located in the middle of the touch screen, reaching this climax seems to be the key to victory.

So you have the main story quests to follow which i've done a few of and enjoyed. Villagers give you side quests which reward you with currency and items and one chick even gave me a new battle move with my sword which I'm yet to try out. I'm currently spending a bit of time outside the village in the field, getting side quest items and mining minerals, the latter so I can upgrade my sword and armour as I feel a little underpowered.

I think I like this game. It's never my go to choice but I've played it on four separate occasion and not wanted to turn it off. It's just not got me with both of it's monstie claws yet but I am still getting to grips with what the game actually is. It's the most I've enjoyed a Monster Hunter game so far. That's about all I have to say right now.

EDIT: A special "fuck you" to the idiot who decided to make everything the village chief says rhyme. It's truly awful.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 6 and a half hours in to this but I'm not sure I going to carry on. It's still not grabbed me, it feels very samey you see. Despite the story progressing and new areas opening up you are still just wondering around collecting things I dont know what to do with and fighting. Problem is that I dont find the fighting that fun.

I'm not happy about wanting to shelve it but there's so much to play right now. I dunno.