passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Yakuza Kiwami

DisturbedSwan

• 10 months later...

Foolishly I went into the PlayStation store and found this for 9 quid!

I had to research what it was, and was surprised to learn it was a ground up remake of the first game. Result!

I've played 3, 4, and 5, and enjoyed them, but definitely with decreasing marginal returns. I thought they were becoming a bit bloated to be honest, and hungered for a more focused adventure, like 3.

So this hits the spot for me. I'll see how it goes. For me these games are definitely about the story, and I tend to bypass most of the side activities like karaoke, baseball etc. I dig the fighting, though.

• 1 year later...

I was sort of expecting to hate this game, it started to get on my nerves early on with the constant interruptions from Majima, but eventually I started finding them funny and looked forward to our throwdowns.

I know earlier on in the thread someone said it was deadly serious, but I found the whole thing hilarious from start to finish. Some of it is gritty for sure, but crashing a funeral and kicking the fuck out of everyone cannot be taken seriously. It's pure Japanese cheese from one end to the other.

One thing that did bother me with this is how directionless it got at one point. There was a part where you had to face off against the red, white and blue gangs and it seemed to drag on forever. There was a lot of times I'd have to ask chat to google something for me because it would say "Oh you need to go to xyz street" which would be great if I was Japanese and understood and could remember where you're asking me to go, but as a none native, it's a bit of an ask.

Still looking forward to seeing the rest of the games, especially if they're getting sillier in tone.

• 10 months later...

I noticed I have a couple of posts in this thread. Must have just wandered off into something else and forgot to go back (probably a final fantasy game given the date of my post). Anyway, after a disagreeable time with the snorefest 0, I've played this on gamepass and finished it, sort of rushed thru from chapters 10 to 13, when Majima (everywhere) started to get on my nerves. 

I have a bit of a love/hate thing going with Yakuza. Sometimes I just love being in that world, and sometimes it just annoys me - the coy humour, 'zany' characters, and half baked combat. Usually tho, if it's getting a bit much, you can mainline it without too much trouble.

Feck me, the final 2 bosses in this were unusually painful tho. I'd go as far as to say that the last one was a bit of a gaming misstep. All the balletic combos I'd spent all game honing were rendered useless by an unreasonably fleet footed foe, and in the end I was reduced to slugging away at his life with soft furnishings. Ruined it a bit, that.

Good game, all in all. Just need to play kiwami 2, and 6 to complete the main series. I played 3,4,5, kiwami, in that order. Strangely, in terms of narrative, it made perfect sense.