passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Hendo

Who'd have thought this would be any good?

Also, it's pretty much the game that swayed me to finally get a Switch, bizarrely.

I've gone through the tutorial stages and the first 3 levels in the first world, I think. Unlocked some new abilities and picked up everything I can find in the over world, so far. Haven't bought any weapons yet.

It is pretty much My First XCom, complete with the option to do "easy mode" before you start each battle so you can have more health to play with. I've not bothered with that just yet.

It looks gorgeous and the opening cinematic is very Pixar.

I'm sure it won't happen, but I'd love a competitive multiplayer to be added in, that could work really well.

I got a bit further, did the first mini boss and bought some new guns.

I don't think this is really a spoiler but just to be on the safe side, I'll put tags in....

After the mini boss you open up the skill tree, though it all looks pretty expensive at this point, unless you can grind previous bosses over and over.

Unlocked Luigi but haven't put him in my crew.

Defeated the first world's boss which was simultaneously clever, cool and annoying.

I've got Mario, Rabbid Peach and Luigi in my team now - Rabbid Luigi didn't seem to offer much at this stage.

Luigi has the sniper rifle and death stare, Mario has the hammer and death stare and Rabbid Peach is the healer. A good combo so far.

On 8/29/2017 at 5:19 PM, Hendo said:

Who'd have thought this would be any good?

Also, it's pretty much the game that swayed me to finally get a Switch, bizarrely.

Exactly the same for me, currently the only game I own on Switch, although Odyssey is on pre-order and MK8 is coming tonight... :)

Really enjoyed my first play last night, got to what was a boss but what the game said was a mid-way boss. Did it first time but barely, one or two more turns and I would have been out.

Great game, seems to be getting more and more tactical the more I play, with additional options and moves within each turn being periodically added. Not sure I totally dig the controls, switching between characters and moves seems s bit fiddly but that might just be the controller?

I get the shoulder buttons mixed up, if that's what you mean?

Once you beat the first world, you can go back and re-do the levels you didn't do as well from the washing time machine. But if you manually walk through, you can find bonus stages that weren't there before.

Yeah, it's a weird faff as they have shoulder buttons changing either a vertical or horizontal menu depending on which you press - not entirely simple to adapt to.

Cool, I think so far I have mainly gotten perfects, not a huge fan of the overworld though, bit slow.

Nice to be back on here btw ;)

You tried any of the optional challenges in the first world? Considering they're labelled as "easy", they're actually pretty hard.

One in particular had me scratching my head as how you're meant to get to a location in one turn. I YouTube'd it and it turns out to be a devious puzzle based on using the enemies' abilities to your advantage.

I've gone back and got perfects on all of world 1 stages, I'll probably try all the challenges once I've got a bit more powerful.

I'm really struggling with the second world, I can't even complete one of the early ones, world 2-2. It's a "get to the end" type level and I just get crushed on my way right near the end.

I think the optional challenges will only open up once you've finished a world. Go back manually through the world and you'll see characters holding flags where the levels were.

I'm on the first mini boss level of world 2. I only had a brief go before bed but that will be a tricky one.

Finally started this this morning, put in about 90 minutes and got up to World 1-5.

Well its save to say I'm pretty blown away by it, I mean I knew it'd be good and as an X-COM fan I was bound to love the gameplay but yeah it has still managed to surprise and excite me in ways I didn't expect.

That animated intro?!?! Fuck me man, that was some Pixar-level quality shit, it was just so damn charming and the rabbids adorable, even the little touches like the girl humming the Mario Bros theme was just so perfect and when they crash into the mushroom kingdom and you see Mario and chums there its just so great.

Once into the game proper I loved the vibe, the graphics and everything, just perfectly charming visuals and Ubi have absolutely the mushroom kingdom to a tee. What surprised me was the amount of exploration and puzzles there are, I thought there'd be a bit of that kind of stuff but I think its genius how they've made it feel like a big open-world but having smaller closed off arenas at the same time.

The battle arenas are pretty much exactly what I expected, it eases you into it and slowly introduces a trickle of new enemy types and mechanics as you go on. It really is exactly like X-COM, just a more cutesy version, the cover systems and everything are the same and Mario's special ability is Oversight from X-COM. 

The difficulty of the battle arenas has surprised me a little, being an X-COM vet I'm used to it but the first time I saw two enemies get in a couple of warp-pipes on their turn, jump behind my squads and then proceed to kill Mario (the first character that I've got killed so far) my face was like 

tenor.gif

Incredibly impressed by the AI and the game in general, it has actually managed to exceed my (already high) expectations.

I beat the mid boss on world 2 and rolling towards the end of that set of levels. It's still throwing new enemy types at me and some environmental hazards that has the chance to fuck everything up or help you out.

It really opens up once you get the skill tree on the go. I've got two extra possible team mates but still sticking with Mario, Luigi and Rabbid Peach.

Well shit, I hit a huge wall in this.

The first battle of stage three where I think you have to kill 10 enemies - I had to start retrying and I have no idea how to get through it so far...

I decided to go back through the earlier worlds to collect weapons etc but there doesn't seem to be much exciting, kind of annoying actually.

Took on the main boss in world 2 earlier, and took him down first go.

So now I have the option of another healer in my team though it seems to work slightly differently.

I also bought the "jump on someone to cure them" skill for everyone, which I initially thought was pointless, but I'm getting honeyed to the spot quite a lot now.

Played another 90 minutes of this a few days ago but forgot to post until now.

I'm up to World 1-8 now, I have to say this game is WAY longer than I expected, I thought 3 hours in I'd be at least into World 2, but nope, World 1 keeps on ticking, had a look on HowLongToBeat and it reckons 19 hours to clock it :o was planning on finishing this on holiday next week but not sure I'll be able to pull another 16 hours out my arse, I wanted to complete Splat 2 and Sonic Mania as well...

But yeah, I'm still absolutely loving it, the trickle of new enemies continues, I unlocked Luigi but I'm reticent to replace my default Mario/Rabbid Peach/Rabbid Luigi team at the moment, I love Luigi though and he's apparently very handy at long range, so we'll see how it goes. The Smasher almost decimated my team the first time I met him, wasn't sure what to do with him really, I think maybe leaving him be and just skirting round him (as the objective of this particular battle was just to reach an area rather than defeat x no. of enemies) might be the best way to go, shooting them seems to just aggro them needlessly, so I think I'll go about that differently next time. 

The Rabbid plant mid-boss kicked my arse the first time too, retried the battle and tried to get through without losing any of my team but I still managed to lose Rabbid Luigi towards the end, oh well.

A few screenshots too:

DI7ELALUwAAOaRY.jpg

DI7ElVGVoAEGKgl.jpg

Tip for the Smasher:

If you shoot him, it will aggro him and he will run toward whoever shot him on that turn, i.e., he gets an extra move against you.

The best thing to do is get all team members to slide tackle first as that won't aggro him. The drone tank things are also a good distraction.

Went back and 100%'d world 1. All levels perfect, challenges done and chests all found. Will probably do the same with world 2 now that my team is pretty powerful. 

The first optional challenge in world 2 is kicking my arse. The enemies start first and they fire fucking grenades at you that either burn you or freeze you.

Played another 3 hours or so today and got up to World 2-2.

Jesus Christ man, this game has kicked my arse repeatedly. I barely got through the last stage in World 1 with the Smashers and Chain Chomp (luckily didn't have too many problems with the boss though), must've replayed it about 5/6 times before finally getting through it.

I get to World 2 and have a whale of a time exploring, get to the first battles and gerg absolutely annihilated repeatedly, had to turn on Easy mode for the first time :blush: but even then I got repeatedly trashed on numerous occasions before eventually succeeding, felt like I scraped my arse over the line into World 2-2 before calling it a day.

I just don't seem to be doing enough damage now really, got secondary weapons on all my main crew but they still don't pack much of a punch against 100+ HP Smasher's/Bounder's and the like anymore.

Despite it kicking my arse, it continues to amaze me how much depth it has, it just continues to introduce new mechanics, enemy types and scenario's that has me panicking at the beginning of almost every battle and pushing you to adapt your strategy according, fantastic stuff.

3.4, woohoo! That 3.1 level was killing me, had to have a bit of a break (2 weeks) and then revisit...

Storming through this next one though, all seems to be easier again after a difficulty spike.

I didnt notice the weird camera until you said :S