passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

DisturbedSwan

Put 4 hours into this earlier.

First thing you notice in an uncharted game is the graphics, they blew me away and left me flabbergasted once again, this is the first Uncharted game I've seen in 4K HDR and it is absolutely fucking magnificent, I could write paragraphs and paragraphs just about the level of detail in this game and the lighting, it is quite frankly ridiculous and I don't know how they manage it, ND are truly gods among men.

The first few chapters are basically the PSX 2016 stage demo, there's more buildup to it and little details like the Chloe not wearing a hijab but yeah you make your way through an Indian city at night whilst a war is raging all around you, everything just looks so amazing I was stopping every few seconds and panning the camera just looking at how incredible everything looked. Anyway, you reach the part where the PSX demo ended and this sequence goes on a bit longer, you steal something, get caught then run away from the chasing Indian rebel army using the rooftops and zip-lines all whilst it's thrashing down with rain, thunder and lightning around you.

Once this is over you enter the main area in the Indian savannah, think Madagascar in U4 and you've pretty much got it. It looks almost exactly the same as that, you have a Jeep to get around, there's places to winch the Jeep to get into, enemy encampments dotted around, exotic animals to fawn over and all that good stuff.

Where it differs though is you're mainly left to your own devices to explore. There is an overarching objective to find three monuments to Indian gods in some tombs dotted around the environment but you can go where you like, find loads of treasures, pick up collectible tokens to unlock a reward and much more freedom overall than any Uncharted game before it, you can also choose to explore enemy camps and take them out or leave them be, I think this is the first time an Uncharted game has felt truly open-world to me, it's still relatively small, granted but it's still a dense exotic environment that you can have some fun in.

The collectible tokens are a really cool idea, instead of just picking them up you have to do a trial in order to get them (actually reminded me of BotW in a way). This can be doing a wheel puzzle on a wall, a physics puzzle like using your weight to see-saw open a hatch or having to ring 8 bells at the same time to get some metal bolts on a door to open, some are a bit more dull like just throwing a grenade at a wall, but some of them have some really nice ideas about them. The rustic feel to the map as Chloe crosses off another token is very satisfying too.

It has taken me a while to warm to Chloe and Nadine, I'm used to hating Nadine from U4 so seeing her so buddy-buddy and one of the protagonists is a bit jarring at first. Chloe's great though, their relationship is a bit tense and business-like at the beginning but has already grown in the time I've been playing it and I love the banter between the two of them as I'm riding around in the Jeep, I particularly love Nadine's probing of Chloe's time with Drake. When under questioning Chloe says 'I know Nate well, but his brother literally appeared out of thin air' which I thought was a funny reference to Sam being suddenly introduced into the Uncharted-universe in U4.

Took me a while to get used to the combat, but after a few shoot-outs I was zipping around the mini-arena's, stealthing people (the new silent pistol is a god-send) to death and firing some weighty machine-guns when I got found out. Haven't really noticed it to be a lot different than U4 really, if you liked the combat in that you'll like this, there does seem to be more options for stealth this time around though which is always nice.

So yeah, I think if you liked Uncharted 4 you'll like this, maybe if you like open-world action games but not necessarily Uncharted you'll like it too, there's more chance anyway than past instalments, particularly if you felt irked or annoyed by the Drakes and their narrative baggage anyway.

Photos below:

DH2VJZXXsAAGCzU.jpg

DH2VKsTWAAAAfV-.jpg

DH2VLuDXUAASKmX.jpg

DH2VNUGWAAA9FpB.jpg

DH11rtBXUAAVBD2.jpg

DH11sRwXUAA25My.jpg

DH11tTgXgAETFqj.jpg

DH11uWEWAAAEznS.jpg

Yeah done that numerous times throughout the game @DANGERMAN 'Oh I'll just jump to this ledge over....ah fuck that wasn't a ledge'

Put in another 4 hours today, up to 8 hours played now.

Finished with the open-world area and things have gone decidedly back to 'classic' Uncharted I'd say, some really cool set-pieces, lots of tomb raiding, a surprisingly emotional moment and a whole lot more puzzles than I was anticipating.

My main complaint though is it all feels a bit by the numbers really, the villain is so similar to previous villains in the series, the plot is basically identical 'find mysterious artefact in forgotten city before evil tyrant does' even some of the environs look recycled from U4's Madagascar and Pirate areas to me.

There's plenty of fantastic vista's to look out, truly jaw-dropping gleaming Golden sculptures and Palaces to explore, but yeah it does feel a too familiar to previous games. There is one majestic plot twist which I won't spoil and a surprisingly emotional moment with Chloe that caught me by surprise though.

The best thing about the game by far has been the characters, we obviously knew Chloe from U2 and Nadine from U4 but you really develop a bond with them over the course of the game, get to know them more than the sexy/fiesty Australian in U2 and the bad lady from U4, you learn what make's them tick, what their upbringing was like and what their motivations are for still running a muck in these faraway lands in the first place, the banter/quips between them feels so natural, it really is very well done and superbly written.

Some more pics:

DH7qlysWAAQJ7js.jpg

DH7qnFHXcAAK4w1.jpg

DH7qoTSXoAAHbXS.jpg

DH7XuHZXYAA-zAS.jpg

DH7XwOpXoAEn8ah.jpg

DH7XxoAXUAAxlI6.jpg

DH7XzJ1W0AAApy_.jpg

I have played up to the beginning of chapter six, and am having a very good time. Nice mixture of exploring (I loved finding all of the tokens) and puzzles, and the combat has been nicely balanced thus far. 

One thing I did notice is that for some reason motion blur is set to maximum by default, so I've set it to zero and it looks a lot nicer for me when moving the camera. Not sure why it's set so high as standard as it looks a bit of a mess when adjusting the camera. 

Finished it earlier, took me 9.5 hours in total.

After my complaints with Chapters 5-7, the last couple of chapters really blew my tits off.

So yeah, for the money I think its a fantastic addition to the series, it feels a much smaller game in lots of ways, less Jet-setting and more country-hopping, has a similar breadth to it as Uncharted 1. 

The plot lags a little in the middle of the game and you can't help but feel you've been through these environs, fought against a similar villain and seen fantastic golden palaces before. There are a few twists and turns that keep it interesting towards the end though and despite its similarity to other Uncharted's I ended up enjoying it.

There's a set-piece towards the end that I won't spoil that really made the game for me, I was just missing that exhilaration and bombast that the Uncharted games are known for and as soon as I hit that sequence I got goosebumps, fantastic.

The characters and their interactions are what make this game though, you see Chloe and Nadine as a very frosty 'professional' partnership at the beginning and see how they grow through this grand adventure, ending up absolutely loving their company, quips and banter.

• 3 weeks later...

Just started this on a mate's machine, I'll probably pick up a copy myself when it goes cheap in a sale on the store.

I know Naughty Dog know what they're doing, but the animation is incredible. The little Indian girl's face in particular was just astonishing.

• 1 year later...

Giving this a go.

As a Drake fan I passed on this originally. Not because  of Chloe taking the lead, but because I was a bit Uncharted out by the end of four. I felt that they were repeating things a bit by then, especially in the set piece department.

But it's been a while and I'm up for some exploration and mindless violence. See what happens.

This thing was the definition of the series repeating things. No spoilers but the very end set piece is an almost literal remix of things they did exactly the same in older games

The best thing about this game is the end credits. Which sounds like a piss take but actually the end credits are really good 

1 hour ago, Nag said:

Taking too much stock in @Blakey and his scores..?

Poor Hellblade.

Not really. I have it loaded on the PS4 and ready to go. They're both rather short from what I've heard.

@Mafi'm expecting some familiarity. But I'm comfortable with it. The series has probably run its course by now, though.

My kid just asked me was this a PS3 game (based on the way it looked).

I could sort of see his point. Not that it looks bad by any stretch of the imagination, but the last few PS4 games we've had in the house have been on another level visually: Spidey, red dead, Resi 2 and God of war.

This wasn't really doing much for me initially. That Uncharted gameplay familiarity was hitting home pretty hard, and I playing it poorly, too - messing up my usual stealth approach in almost all encounters.

But then I hit the (semi) open road to complete the queen's ruby quest and the game started making sense to me. I really like what they've achieved with this approach. You're just disoriented  enough for it to feel like an adventure, but never to the point of frustration.

If I could just find my stealth shoes...

So I'm near the end, and I'm just about to chase a train in typical Uncharted style.

In fact the whole thing settled down into more familiar territory after that excellent semi open world section, even down to your companion shouting out the solution to puzzles when you've only just started to get your bearings ?.

A nice adventure though, spectacular in parts and nice to look at.