passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sonic Mania

Hendo

Oh my word, it's glorious!

The smile on my face in the first world was pretty wide. Then the remix came into effect and it gets even better.

Finally a Sonic game made by people who understand what a Sonic game should be.

Also, I'd heard that the second zone's boss was something special for long time fans and it really didn't disappoint. I won't even put it in spoiler tags at this point but you'll know.

I am at work on downtime, playing Sonic on my Switch. :wub:

It really is a fantastic game. Three zones down and the quality hasn't dropped once. So many neat touches. Switched on the scan lines in the video options and it looks like a proper old Sonic game, in my hands. Perfect. 

Spoiler

Yeah I love the twists or nostolgia bosses. The first end level boss Death Egg Robotnik brought a smile. When I saw Mean Bean Machine i had to run and grab the wife (had her addicted to mean bean machine on my PI emulator) and even she got to be amused

Great game. I'm just going at a steady pace. On Mirage Saloon ATM. I'm going to go through again for a search around and emerald collection at some point.

Just finished a simple run.  I wasn't going for all the secrets but I did stumble across a few.  I ended with three emeralds since the bonus stages are quite well hidden.  But it's good at encouraging replaying because it often telegraphs additional routes and shows hidden goodies but not how to get them.  And I want them.

I think I wish they remixed the Sonic 3 bonus stages more, because as someone who played Sonic 3 & Knuckles so much and finished it with all Chaos Emeralds and Master Emeralds when I was 12 I still know a lot of these stages like the back of my hand.  Though some of them might be new, though I think the ones I don't recognise as much could be from when you'd stick a SEGA game in the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge that isn't Sonic 3.

Yeah, really into this.  Looking forward to playing it more.  Not been this into Sonic since aforementioned full cracking of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I actually got stuck on a stage and lost all my lives. It was on a flying level where you cling to poles and then fly off. The way forward was blocked by spikes. Will have to give it another try. I'm not fussed if I have to start again, I wouldn't imagine it's a long game.

I dont hate this but I dont like it. I feel like I'm desperate for each level to end rather than enjoying the run from A to B as i find it a little stressful to be honest. I always feel like the game is propelling me toward being hot by something, you know, as Sonic games do. And the levels are so sprawling, it feels like its a guess getting anywhere which I suppose you could say about any level on any game you play but in Sonic it just feels like there's little logic to progression, like each level is a huge maze. I also died three times on the Chem Zone due to being "crushed" by rotating blocks in pink water. And when I say crushed I mean they didn't hit me and I was just confused. Then it happened twice more.

I've just gotten to the Flying Battery level and I turned it off just because right now I dont fancy falling to my death halfway through the level. I think if the whole game was set in Greenhill Zone I'd love it, green grass and blue skies ftw.

The bosses have been cool tho, as have the Sonic R type bonus levels.

Really @illdog?  We're the sides of two different coins here.  You are a wrong guess away from missing something cool and it is unsatisfying knowing you're on the beaten path but that just makes me want to return to the level.

And these Emerald gathering bonus stages are my least favourite in the series.  Give me Sonic 1's over these.  I think they're inspired by Sonic CD.

And as for bullshit crushing... Yeah.  They suck.  But they hand them in Chemical Plant Zone in Sonic 2 as well.  It's a Sonic thing I suppose.  Had them on Spring Yard Zone on the original as well.  It's a fast game but you gotta be careful around moving blocks.  Sonic's hit box isn't forgiving when it comes to crushing.

1 hour ago, DifferentClass said:

Really @illdog?  We're the sides of two different coins here.  You are a wrong guess away from missing something cool and it is unsatisfying knowing you're on the beaten path but that just makes me want to return to the level.

Yea dude, i guess so, such is the polarising nature of video games.

I do find myself wanting to play again right now to be honest (gotta go to bed tho). Also, Sonic and The Secret Rings was the most important lesson in video game history for me. Opinions change. Keep playing.

I'm not sure I like this that much either. I mean when it's good it's damn good, that 3rd zone with the kind of Girls on Film Duran Duran music video 80s vibe they had going on was bloody great, the Tetris like bit in that level was fantastic too, but flying battery? I'm not sure, I think the level design is good but I just feel like it's needlessly frustrating, SO many times I've died not quite making it to a fan and dropping to my death, those charging beams can get fucked too and the boss was incredibly annoying, tons of cheap spike deaths.

I was enjoying it up until the 4th zone, making decent progress and then that bloody flying battery level just annoyed me endlessly. Got my first game-over to the boss and realised I had to start from the beginning of the zone again which really pissed me off some more. I had trouble with the Zone 1-Act 2 boss as well, not knowing quite what to do but worked it out eventually, shout out to the chopper boss at the end of Zone 3 though, that shit was fucking great.

So yeah, a mixed bag for me. The nostalgia was strong at the start and listening to all the songs I remember so vividly from Green Hill and Chemical Plant and zipping around, feeling exactly how I remembered Mega Drive Sonic feeling was amazing, but the frustration is a huge turn-off, I've heard there's a big-ish difficulty spike towards the end so I may end up not finishing it if it pisses me off too much.

I struggled a bit on Flying Battery too. No problems until I got to a bit towards the bottom of the level. I had to fling from a pole to kill a robot in a little box who was controlling these electrical beams. I got through it eventually but I'm not sure how you're supposed to do it properly. As a kid I'd have learnt my lesson and just avoided that route for the rest of time, as an adult I can barely remember who I spoke to yesterday 

Just to add, I'm really enjoying it. The bosses have been great apart from the one with the axe hands and boxes. I couldn't work out how to do that one properly 

On the first part I flung myself towards the right wall, there's a lip there below the spikes that's an entrance. There's a fire spring thing that launches you up, then it's the same thing again. This time though there's a platform right down the centre to land on if you get lucky. No idea how to do it so it doesn't require luck