passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy XII - The Zodiac Age

Sambob

7 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Spoiler alert: that's not even the bad part of that dungeon.

Good stuff.

I've left it alone for a bit and instead exploring parts of the map I've not uncovered. Found a dungeon in the forest that seemed pretty tough (has a load of powerful traps across the enterence) and I'm now in a mist filled mountain area where the baddies are similar level to me (Level 42(ish) *slap bass solo*)

53 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

What job combos did you go with in the end?

Ashe - Machinist / Time Battlemage

Pennelo - White Mage / Archer

Fran - White Mage / Knight

Balthier - Archer (I think)/ Black Mage

Vaan - Uhulan / Bushi

Basch - Foebreaker/ (can't remember)

My main squad have been Pennelo, Balthier and Ashe, but I've kept swapping people in and out so they are all around the same level. Pretty much finished the licence boards for both classes for each character apart from the ones off the main board which I haven't worked out how to trigger yet.

Those outside ones require espers. You have to choose who gets what though. On Switch I think you can just reset it anyway if you mess up.

In my game I had a monk learn renew as a backup sort of healer, some of the skills can be super useful like that

Also I think archer has some sort of bow that makes fire magic better, could be a good combo

Didn't get lost on that find the door bit, but I got thru the door by sheer luck. The riddle seemed to be calling my esper by another name, but I just summoned it because that had worked elsewhere in the game.

The bit where @Jimbo Xiii is now is possibly the game's only real misstep. But you always get shit like that in these games, don't you. I nearly lashed my switch out the window when I got to this mad arcade in FF7 the other day and thought I was going to be trapped in mini game hell for hours. Wasn't that bad in the end, although it appears I've still got a chocobo race to look forward to?

• 2 weeks later...

It took me over 40 hours to realise when trying to traverse traps and you don't want your spanners of team mates to accidentally trigger them, just make a party of one.

It got me thinking though, if characters have libra cast on themselves, will they avoid traps?

At the moment I'm in some kind of haunted house style dungeon, which seems optional, and everything in here is quite tuff. I'm slightly concerned as there has been no save points so far and I'm about 90 minute's deep, and leveled up everyone at least once. I don't really want to lose that progress but I don't want to turn around either.

I finished all the stuff inside the big rock and got some jazzy sword for Ashe. Doing some hunts and side quest stuff at the moment. I've just collected the three medallions so now I can unlock the locked doors in that dungeon I was talking about above. Also, the location where you get the last medallion is a good grind spot with respawning zombie skeletons. I managed to get up to a chain of 200 of them and managed to bump Fran 3 levels (42 -45) in about 18 minutes, running at X4. I'm really enjoying the side stuff, apart from the odd, tedious fetch quest. I just love beating shit up in this game with a perfect set of configured Gambits.

• 1 month later...

I noticed that there were only 5 Final Fantasy threads on the first page, which I thought was a little low. So I'm bumping this one also to get that FF quotient up a bit where it needs to be.

But actually I am replaying this game, because it is excellent and it got patched to be more excellent on PC.

But WTF is New Game 'Minus'? Is the game even playable like this? I need to know. 

8EFED9C02FC7C604B4A22A661AC57D872192A2F5

Tbh if this doesn't go well I'll just go back and start a normal new game. But you have to imagine somebody play-tested this shit to see that it makes sense

Well good thing I hate fun.

I ended up reading a little bit on reddit about it. Apparently white mages are useless and machinists are a must have due to their stat independent damage scaling? That's not the kind of thing I like to hear tbh. I'm a healer main dammit, we need representation

But I've played this game a lot so maybe a fucked up playthrough is what I need to find something new to see in it. This is one mode that I'll be glad to have my job switch function though, because apparently I already fucked up royally making Vaan an Uhlan on NG-. Doh

There must be a gun in the game that does major damage, but I couldn't find it. I had penelo as a machinist and even at the end of the game she was struggling to really keep up on the damage side. 

I bet there's some triple barrelled blunderbuss in a chest somewhere, but u have to capture the chocobo with the rainbow coloured wings and ride it around the 5 branched cactus in the southern Dalmascan drylands 3 times before it appears. (At night).

Honestly not far off from the type of BS you had to do to get Zodiac Spear in the original 2006 release.

Guns can be pretty bad, yeah. If my team is all low STR then I might need to make one or two gunners tho.

Now I'm thinking that all those 'item lores' will be essential on this mode. Might turn one character into a kind of 'chemist' class.

That might a good idea. There's definitely a hidden alchemist side to these games if you know what you're doing. Of course if you just like hitting things with big explody spells like me, you never get into that stuff.

Remember that dumb fire horse than you trounce early in the game.

Oof, not so easy on minus. All my potions and pheonix downs gone

4D53EC4BFFBB81B260238ACE8078BB891953A35D

Looking forward to getting back to Rabanastra and buying all the gambits. I will probably just spend all my time grinding LP in the desert tbh, I don't think I'll be able to fight much harder bosses than this otherwise.

Throw on 4x and listen to Giantbomb talk about weird emulators

Went back to this yesterday for the first time in a while. I was two thirds of the way though climbing The Pharos when I stopped, which gave me some issues on one of the puzzles as it involved remembering a choice I had made on an earlier floor around 3 months ago.

I'm pretty OP at this point, to the point where the series of boss battles once you reach the top of the tower required no interaction from myself. I just left the Switch on my desk whilst I was working and the whole thing played out itself, until I was back at the port. I might actually watch these bits back on youtube as I missed all the plot dump it did.

I'm not sure if I should just go and finish the game off now, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too taxing for my crew, or spend more time on the side stuff.